Broken Things Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: September 11, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Broken Things

It's been five years since the horrific murder of Summer Macks. Everyone in town thinks her friends Mia and Brynn killed her as part of a sacrifice to THE WAY INTO LOVELORN, a novel they were all obsessed over. After Brynn is released from an institution she seeks out Mia in order to find out what really happened that fateful day. Seems Summer wasn't the only one holding secrets.

What worked: Think Pretty Little Liars meets the recent news story of friends who stabbed a friend as a sacrifice to their obsession to Slender Man. Only the sacrifice here is to a fantasy world based on a novel.

I totally can see this as a Lifetime movie. It has suspense, action, and a mystery behind who really brutally killed a girl in a small town some five years old.

I really liked how Oliver uses the point of view of the surviving friends. She goes back to the time leading up to the murder to the present. There's a lot going on in the small town now. Resentments, hatreds, and scapegoating two young girls for the murder. Only nothing is what it seems.

This fast-paced novel had me on the edge of the seat. I couldn't put it down as I wanted to know who really killed Summer. I admit I was surprised at the reveal at the end. There's lots that readers glimpse behind the scenes. What secret was Summer holding? Why was she so insistent on playacting out a fantasy novel in the back woods? And finally, what really happened that fateful day?

Edge of your seat suspense, a story of two friends trying to put together the missing pieces and solve who really killed their best friend five years ago.

Good Points
1. Suspenseful thriller where two former friends go back to the horrific scene of a crime where they were convicted
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Next to Last Mistake
Tess Goodwin's life in rural Iowa is sheltered and uncomplicated....

0.0 (0)
Pretty in Punxsutawney
A Groundhog Day meets Pretty in Pink mashup from author...

4.7 (1)
Emerge: The Captive: (Book 3)
A moment of distraction has cost him his freedom...

5.0 (1)
Awakening of Fire (Dragon Born, #1)
Dragons are just legends from the past... Felicia’s life...

0.0 (0)
The Penderwicks at Last
The finale you've all been waiting for: The Penderwicks...

0.0 (0)
Over Raging Tides
The pirate crew of the Lady Luck lives by...

0.0 (0)
Positively Izzy
Award-winning comics creator and author of the bestselling Invisible...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate...

0.0 (0)
The Dysasters
P.C. and Kristin Cast, the #1 New York Times bestselling...

0.0 (0)
The Fontre | Best Books for Young Adults | YA Fiction New Release | Julien Jamar
Cassai is taken by Devilan, knowing she will be forced...

0.0 (0)
You'd Be Mine
Annie Mathers is America’s sweetheart and heir to a country...

4.0 (1)
99 Lies (100 Hours, #2)
Getting kidnapped over spring break was definitely memorable. But now...

0.0 (0)
Wings of Olympus
Take flight with Pippa and her winged horse in this...

0.0 (0)
"FIVE STARS for one of the most peculiar high school...

5.0 (5)
Ocean Renegades! (Earth Before Us #2): Journey through the Paleozoic Era
When Ronnie’s parents go on a business trip and leave...

0.0 (0)
The land of Velicorte has known peace for more than...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Gone with the Wind

"Reader reviewed by Dwan Gone with the Wind is an incredible story of love, life, strife, hard times and..."
Gone with the Wind

"Reader reviewed by chatterbox891 WOW! When I first picked up this book, I thought, this is going to be another..."
Gone with the Wind

"Reader reviewed by lily It's one of the best book i read. It's the story of a 16 years old..."
Gone with the Wind

"Reader reviewed by Katherine (a.k.a Kat624) Aaah what can I say about Gone With the Wind? It's just the greatest..."
Gone with the Wind

"Reader reviewed by Mel Gone With the Wind is one of the most romantic books ever! Everyone has heard of..."