A Touch of Gold Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: August 14, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

One seriously wild ride

When I read the synopsis for this book I was immediately intrigued. I love retellings and this book seemed right up my alley. A TOUCH OF GOLD follows Kora, King Midas’s daughter. When an accident almost results in her death Midas gives up his power and retreats behind the safety of his palace walls. Leaving Kora alone to deal with her curse alone. When a thief steals valuable items, the only one who can bring the items back is Kora. She will have to face her fear of the outside world and what her curse could do if she hopes to save her kingdom.

What I loved about this book was immediately how drawn I was into the story. Annie had me invested from the very first page. Giving us mysteries bit by bit and leading us across the ocean to battle pirates and thieves. I went into it knowing nothing and Ioved that everything was so unexpected and that at each turn the characters surprised me. The pace of the story was also extremely well done. There was a lot of time spent at sea and I never once felt like it was dragging on. Each moment was important and nothing felt forced or put in as a placeholder for the next scene.

One of the reasons this book worked so well for me was because of the characters and their growth throughout the book. When I first met Kora and Hettie and got inside Kora’s head I wasn’t sure how I felt about either of them. But the more I read the more I fell in love with them. Kora spends a lot of the time making assumptions about the people closest to her and the entire book you see how all of her assumptions are based on her fears rather than truth. There’s a lot of really great characters but Kora is by far the one with the most character development. She spent her life being afraid and it takes this journey to show her that it doesn’t have to be that way. People will always be afraid of her but the right people will love her and support her regardless. Then there’s Hettie. When she first came on board I wasn’t sure I liked her, but I have never fallen in love with a character faster. Because we see her through the eyes of Kora we get this image of Hettie being spoiled and lazy, but as time continues on the ship we get the real Hettie. Who is funny, brave, and loyal.

One more thing I loved was PIRATES. I mean who doesn’t love a good pirate book. This one had them and more. That being said, A couple things I wasn’t a fan of how fast the ending seemed. It felt a bit rushed and a little convenient. And for me, it was a bit easy to guess who was going to betray Kora. Those were my only issues with the book, which in the end aren’t enough to take away from how great this story was. I was just as invested and in love with this story as ever. And that ending, despite being fast definitely left me wanting more! I’m not sure if this will turn into more books, so far it says it’s a stand alone. But I would love to know what happens next for Kora and Hettie, and Royce. Something tells me this is not the end for our lovely group.

Overall I loved this book. I have been in a bit of a slump and this book was the perfect blend of mystery, fantasy, and amazing characters. I went into this not knowing anything about King Midas and walked away with a story that will be stuck in my head for days. Annie took a myth that I never thought I would be interested in and completely grabbed my attention. I highly highly recommend this one. Especially if you like retellings.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day
Kristy's mom is getting married, and Kristy is going to...

0.0 (0)
The Very Last Castle
A curious little girl watches the man who guards the...

0.0 (0)
Jack B. Ninja
Jack B. Ninja! Jack, be quick! Jack, jump over the...

0.0 (0)
Freak N Gorgeous
Everyone is ugly sometimes. ...

0.0 (0)
The Forest Queen
When sixteen-year-old Sylvie’s brother takes over management of their family’s...

0.0 (0)
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)
There's a storm coming! The other WellieWishers promise to help...

0.0 (0)
The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)
The Diamond and the Boy
Told in a unique dual-narrative format, The Diamond and the...

0.0 (0)
Little Penguin Stays Awake
A charming companion to Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups and...

0.0 (0)
Merry Christmas, Little One
Christmas comes but once a year - Time...

0.0 (0)
Hi-Five Animals
What's the best way to say hello to anyone you...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs
After defeating the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Superpigs...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes...

0.0 (0)
I, Sofia-Elisabete, Love Child of Colonel Fitzwilliam: A Perfect World in the Moon
In 1815, a 5-year-old girl searches for Utopia in a...

0.0 (0)
The Way I Used to Be
The main character Eden is raped by her brother's best...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day

"'The Baby-Sitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day' by Gale Galligan, based on the novel by Ann M. Martin, is an interesting..."
The Darkest Minds

""The Darkest Minds" is a YA dystopian that felt very similar to others out there- but the twist being a..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
The Darkest Legacy

""The Darkest Legacy" continues The Darkest Minds series after the resolutions of the trilogy. This time, we follow Suzume (Zu)...."
Exo
Exo

""Exo" is a really interesting YA sci-fi that follows a 17-year-old human a hundred years after Earth has been taken..."
Cross Fire

""Cross Fire" was a great sequel to Exo that wraps up all the major plotlines and possibilities. The zhree, an..."
Everything, Everything

""Everything, Everything" follows Madeline, who lives in a bubble- she has a rare disease called SCID, which means she is..."
Eleanor & Park

""Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian..."
Warcross

""Warcross" begins a fantastic new YA series from Marie Lu. Fans of the Legend trilogy will rejoice in this new,..."
Freak N Gorgeous

"'Freak N Gorgeous' by Sebastian J. Plata provides an in-depth and telling look into the world of two teenagers who..."
The Forest Queen

"THE FOREST QUEEN by Betsy Cornwell caught my eye at first glance. The cover is beautiful and promises a tale..."
Twice Dead

"Feedback I absolutely loved this story! This book was never boring and always kept me wanting more. The beginning..."
Turtles All the Way Down

"Great book - one of my favorites by John Green, for sure."
Wink Poppy Midnight

"Definitely worth the read! A fun book even though it has some creepier turns, and loved Tucholke's writing style!..."
All The Crooked Saints

"Loved this book from start to finish. Stiefvater was at her best with her prose here and the novel was..."
Carve The Mark

"A good read. A bit confusing in the beginning, but as with many fantasy novels, it works itself out...."
Genuine Fraud

"Interesting, quick read. You're held a bit at a distance because of the nature of this narrator, but it's worth..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
We Were Liars

"I loved this book!"
The Princesses of Iowa

"I really enjoyed this book!"