Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: July 13, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Side by Side

Bonnie Parker is waiting for Clyde to be released from prison. It's 1931 and she wants him to come home. After he's released, they start their infamous exploits that involve robbing banks in order to have enough money to buy a farm where they won't be bothered. Told through the point of view of Bonnie, this story breaks down the Hollywood legend of these two that would live on through history.

What worked: I really liked reading about this crime couple of the 1930s. I felt that Bonnie's point of view shows readers her struggles and challenges of wanting to be with Clyde so much that she got caught up in his life of crime. Readers see her worrying about Clyde, worrying about her own family, and her best friend Blanche, who joins them at the beginning. I also like how this novel humanizes the couple. We see that being on the road wasn't all glamour. That their acts were of desperation living during the Depression and living in poverty. We also get glimpses into the apparent abuse Clyde suffered in prison and how it drove him to make some of the choices he made. The author though doesn't make excuses for this couple's deadly choices, but we do give hints of why they might have acted the way they did.

What's great about this novel is how readers will feel as if they're right there with this couple on their destructive crime spree that ends tragically. The chemistry between these two is very strong. So is the chemistry between her and her best friend. Though she likes that Blanche is riding with them, she also feels guilty that she is part of it. There's more than a few incidences that show Bonnie being compassionate toward others and also the conflict she feels between knowing what they're doing is wrong, but refusing to be without Clyde. Kuddos to the author for peeling back Bonnie's hardcore moll persona that Hollywood continues to play out in movies.

Fast-paced romp with the infamous crime couple Bonnie and Clyde that shows Bonnie Parker's human side while she rides with Clyde towards a tragic end. Well researched, this is a must read for those who love historical novels from this time period.

Good Points
1. Great depiction of the exploits of Bonnie and Clyde told through the point of view of Bonnie
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

#1 Bestseller on Kobo and Category Bestseller on Amazon! ...

0.0 (0)
What if you were the missing piece in one of...

0.0 (0)
The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day
Kristy's mom is getting married, and Kristy is going to...

0.0 (0)
The Very Last Castle
A curious little girl watches the man who guards the...

0.0 (0)
Jack B. Ninja
Jack B. Ninja! Jack, be quick! Jack, jump over the...

0.0 (0)
Emerge: The Assignment: An Immortals of Indriell Novella
She has devoted her life to training with the...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans...

0.0 (0)
Freak N Gorgeous
Everyone is ugly sometimes. In a world not unlike...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously...

0.0 (0)
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)
Death. Sacrifice. Betrayal. That is your curse. The seer's...

0.0 (0)
The Forest Queen
When sixteen-year-old Sylvie’s brother takes over management of their family’s...

0.0 (0)
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)
There's a storm coming! The other WellieWishers promise to help...

0.0 (0)
Afterimage
A horrific explosion levels part of the city and...

0.0 (0)
Death in daylight. Danger at dark. ...

0.0 (0)
The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Invictus

"Feedback While I enjoy sci-fi books I have only read a couple of time traveling books with this one..."
Invictus

"“Invictus” is a fantastic YA sci-fi adventure. I whole-heartedly agree with Revis’s review which says that it’s Firefly as teenagers..."
Invictus

"Time-travelling thieves. Who doesn’t want to read about that? Invictus follows Farway Gaius McCarthy, a wannabe time-traveller who was..."
Invictus

"Invictus was the first book I've read by Ryan Graudin and I'm really glad I gave it a try. The..."
Wolf By Wolf

"Intriguing take on 'what would have happened if Hitler had won the war'. Add to that a wicked paranormal..."
The Walled City

"MY THOUGHTS I picked up this book, expecting a dystopian, but while this book had dystopian elements, this book..."
The Walled City

"MY THOUGHTS I picked up this book, expecting a dystopian, but while this book had dystopian elements, this book is..."
All That Glows (All That Glows #1)

"So this was an interesting read. I really like the cover and the synopsis is what drew me into reading..."