Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Bit of a Let Down

Original Review: literarychaos.com

Rating: 2.5 Stars

I really wanted to love this book, unfortunately, I just didn't care for it. I went in beyond excited to read this, the synopsis sounds amazing and I was buddy-reading it with close friends, but it, unfortunately, was just a let down for me. Initially, I thought that I would be getting a story full of action and suspense instead it was more about world building and setting the stage for action later in the series. This made the pacing of the book feel painfully slow, I don't think that it really picked up till about halfway through the book. Even after picking up, I still don't think that I was ever fully as engrossed as I hoped I would be.

While I will admit my expectations did play a large role in my feelings of this book, it was not my only reason for disliking the book. I really was not a fan of the writing style of this book. The book was constantly switching from one point of view to another, sometimes even switching between people while still in the same chapter. This made the book very confusing at times, and difficult to understand whose point of view I was reading. I was also annoyed that we got a lot of Kathrine and Mirabella's points of view but very little of Arsionoe's. For me at least, this made it very hard to connect with Arsinoe as a character. I feel that I would have liked the book more if she had found a way to tell the story only from the Queen's points of view.

Lastly was the world, while it was beautiful and fantastical, it was just too much and was very confusing at times. The author would often reference historical events of the world and would sometimes explain and sometimes leave the reader hanging. The world is just so intricate it seems like historical preface or appendix to give the reader some context. I was also left confused because the author references the real historical event of Cleopatra VII ( the one we all know as Cleopatra) having her sister Arsinoe murdered, which made me wonder if this world was somehow connected to ours or if this was simply an easter egg.

All in all, the book itself was not horrible, but I probably would not have finished it if it were not for the fact that I was buddy reading. That being said, due to the ending, which was probably the best aspect of the book, and the fact that a friend, whose opinion I trust, has raved about the sequel, I will probably try to continue with the series. With any luck, the rest of the series will make up for the slow start.

Good Points
Interesting World, some good characters
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Princess Clara thought she knew the main threat to her...

0.0 (0)
Just Friends
High school senior, Mitch Houser, is thrilled to have multiple...

0.0 (0)
Three years ago, Samantha Gray killed her parents. ...

0.0 (0)
What’s a pirate without her crew? Abandoned...

0.0 (0)
DDay.jpg
The WWII invasion known as D-Day was the largest military...

0.0 (0)
Louisiana'sWayHome.jpg
When Louisiana Elefante’s granny wakes her up in the middle...

0.0 (0)
Dr. E's Super Stellar Solar System: Massive Mountains! Supersize Storms! Alien Atmospheres!
Take to the skies with planetary geologist Dr. E and...

0.0 (0)
Astronaut Aquanaut: How Space Science and Sea Science Interact
Journey from the deepest trenches in the oceans to the...

0.0 (0)
Wounded Magic (Conspiracy of Magic #2)
Magic can heal the fiercest wounds... or cut them even...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A BATTLE...

0.0 (0)
The war has only just begun… The...

0.0 (0)
It takes a special kind of magic to hide in...

0.0 (0)
Magic awakens. Darkness stirs. The Wraith Lord hunts. ...

0.0 (0)
ow much wizard power is too much? Some people...

0.0 (0)
For Your Ears Only
Retrieve the files. Save the world. Seventeen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Reactive: A YA Dystopian Romance (The Elite Trials Book 1)
AN INESCAPABLE CITY. THREE DEADLY TRIALS. ONE WAY OUT. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Fangirl

""Fangirl" was a fun and sweet story, similar in tone to Eleanor & Park. Cath and her twin sister have..."
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life

"When Elle's mom gets sent to jail and she's thrown into foster homes, she starts to feel like her life..."
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)

""These Broken Stars" is an interesting YA sci-fi that follows two young people after a space shuttle crash. Lilac LeRoux..."
This Shattered World (Starbound #2)

""This Shattered World" follows Jubilee (Lee) and Flynn, who live on a planet that has failed terraforming, leaving it with..."
DARK TALES: THE CALL OF CTHULHU: A Graphic Novel

"This vibrant retelling of H.P. Lovecraft’s short story has been artfully adapted into a beautifully illustrated graphic novel that captures..."
Dark Tales: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Graphic Novel

"The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of Arthur Conan Doyle's finest Sherlock Holmes novels, written years after “The Final..."
NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY

"Adrienne Cahill finds herself on an expedition to remote Siberia looking for the fabled Osinov family with her stepfather, Dan,..."
9 FROM NINE WORLDS

"Fans of Riordan will find lots of familiar faces from the Magnus Chase series in this clever collection of short..."
#Murdertrending

"A gory, dark thriller with all the things we loved about Hunger Games plus a delightfully creepy twist of something..."
Unstoppable Moses

"Feedback I am going to admit that I would have never picked up this book if I wasn’t provided a..."
Sanctuary

"X-men Gen X (i.e. the teen version) meets Aliens-lite in this survival-in-space story. Told in first-person past-tense from..."
Thief of Happy Endings

"‘Thief of Happy Endings’ is a young adult contemporary with a huge twist. The story centers around, Cassidy. Cassidy..."
Timekeeper (Timekeeper #1)

"Feedback I thought this was an interesting concept. The clocks themselves really control the time. There are days where..."
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)

"Feedback What a change from book one! While I enjoyed Timekeeper, it took me a while to truly engage..."
Confessions of a High School Disaster

"Confessions of a High School Disaster is the first installment of the Chloe Snow series. I read the second installment..."
I Do Not Trust You

"I DO NOT TRUST YOU by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz is a young adult thriller that follows Memphis..."
Light Years

"Sporting a diverse ensemble cast, this book is rife with themes of team-building; and not simply setting aside differences but..."
The Color of Lies

"The Color of Lies relies heavily on its interesting characters, not-so-original plot, and captivating writing to keep its reader--but as..."
The Reader

""The Reader" is an intriguing YA fantasy that follows a girl named Sefia. Her parents hid her in a secret..."
The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel: A Story of Sleepy Hollow

" "The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel" is a retelling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow from the point-of-view of..."