Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Fear Street History

In 1923, sisters Ruth-Ann and Rebecca have an uneasy relationship, especially after Rebecca hastily throws over her boyfriend Melvin for Ruth-Ann's intended, Peter. Little does Rebecca know that her sister has been dabbling in the dark arts of the Fear family that she has discovered in the attic, and that she has the ability to cast spells, some of them very nasty. Since Rebecca has always been her family's favorite, and because the girls seem very much determined to make their futures by marrying well, Rebecca's wedding is planned, with much to-do. Their father even charters trains to take guests from the East coast to a lodge near Denver, so Rebecca can have a scenic wedding. Unfortunately, that setting lends itself to a horrific act on the part of the groom.

Fast forward to the present time, to two more Fear sisters. Harmony and Marissa also have a troubled relationship, since Harmony's own dabbling in magic has caused Marissa to lose her boyfriend, Aiden. Their brother, Robby, is interested in the magic but doesn't know much about it. Instead, she is going to marry a boy from their town, Doug, but wants to travel to a lodge near Denver to have the wedding. Grandpa Bud knows that this is a bad idea, and after the rehearsal dinner is plagued by guests choking on the food and squirrel attacks, he warns Harmony that she must stop her magical pranks before real harm is done. On the morning of the wedding, Marissa is gone, and the only clue to her disappearance is a scrawled note in red ink that says "Don't try to find me." Of course, everyone does. Calls are made to Nikki, Robby's girlfriend, and Harmony tries to find Aiden, who had been at the hotel, only to find no trace of him or anyone with whom she saw him interact. When Marissa's best friend Taylor is found dead at the bottom of the cliff, everyone assumes the worst. Harmony returns home, but soon is drawn back to the lodge, where she finds that there is more to the Fear family curse than she ever could have imagined. Can she manage to use her powers to go back in time and prevent not only her sister's tragic end but the fate of the sisters in 1923?

Good Points
First of all, Stine should teach master classes in writing convincing historical fiction! I thought he got the 1950s details so right in The Lost Girl because he was drawing from his own life experience, but he portrays the fashion, language, food, and social customs of 1923 brilliantly! This sets the stage for the later part of the story nicely, especially when we get to the twist at the end!

Stine also writes a good troubled romance story. Both the relationships between Ruth-Ann, Melvin and Peter and Marissa, Aiden and Doug have just the right amount of angst and teen drama in them. This was an addictive read because of all of this drama, and for some reason I thought of V.C. Andrews' Flowers in the Attic books as I was speeding through it. There is something deliciously creepy and gothic about the setting as well as the black magic.

While I wish I knew a little more about the history of the Fears and the Goods, I was glad to read a little history of their relationship, and also about the powers that the Fears had. It's very easy to believe, as a young teen, that it is possible to cast spells to get one's way. Both Ruth-Ann and Harmony certainly make that seem possible.

Stine's trademarked creepy, deliciously cheesy style is what compels me to keep all of his books even though they are falling to little bits. Scary stories that aren't too scary are always popular with young readers, and there are lots of reasons why Stine is one of the best-selling children's authors!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Nightbooks
A boy is imprisoned by a witch and must tell...

0.0 (0)
Kai's summer changes when she gets a summer internship at...

4.3 (1)
Zoe is just your average teenage girl expecting another average,...

0.0 (0)
Frango & Chicken
Some things seem impossible, but with the right attitude and...

0.0 (0)
Ruby Lane
Ruby is overexcited again, and her brain is spinning creative...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Ghost
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a...

0.0 (0)
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice
A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into...

0.0 (0)
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
From the critically acclaimed author of Waiting for Normal and...

0.0 (0)
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde
Texas: 1931. It’s the height of the Great Depression, and...

0.0 (0)
Voyage of the Dogs
SOS. Ship damaged. Human crew missing. We are...

0.0 (0)
Flying in a Cage
A song tugs inside me, like a string pulling...

0.0 (0)
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!
The energetic and zany duo Shorty and Clem are back,...

0.0 (0)
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find
If you want to keep kids happily busy for hours...

0.0 (0)
Strange New World
Dahlia 16's life is a lie. The city of...

0.0 (0)
Like Never And Always
Liv Burnham thinks nobody knows Morgan Frost like she...

0.0 (0)
The Outcasts- The Blood Dagger: Volume 1
Mystical relics. Powerful vampires. Strange allies. It's hell being...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde

"Bonnie Parker is waiting for Clyde to be released from prison. It's 1931 and she wants him to come..."
Here to Stay

"Bijan Majidi does okay in high school-- he has a good friend, Sean, is on the basketball team, and while..."
Hiding Lies

"HIDING LIES is the second installment in the Eleanor Ames series. It begins with Ellie and Miles saying goodbye since..."
The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)

"Apollo, now known as a human teenager named Lester, must restore five Oracles that have gone dark in order to..."
The Red Ribbon

"Fourteen-year-old Ella is striped down and treated as subhuman by the Nazis and tries to survive. When she hears of..."
Strange New World

"Dahlia 16 just found out her whole life is a lie and that she's not a clone after all...."
Ascent (A Peak Marcello Adventure #3)

"After their disastrous climb in The Edge, Ethan, Alessia and Peak are looking for some adventure that is a bit..."
Uncle Tom's Cabin

" “Any mind that is capable of a real sorrow is capable of good.” To be..."
Brave New Girl

"All Dahlia 16 knows is that she's just one of five thousand identical girls that's sole purpose is to work..."
The Last Best Story

"'The Last Best Story' by Maggie Lehrman is provocative and intriguing, bringing a shadow of a doubt to the truth-finding..."
Picture Us in the Light

"I tried, but I just could not finish this book. I could only make it to chapter three. It is..."
Little White Lies

"LITTLE WHITE LIES by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a novel mashup of Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars set in..."
Missing at 17

"When Candice, better known as Candy, discovers that she's adopted, she feels betrayed and angry. These negative emotions make her..."
Let Me List the Ways

"'Let Me List the Ways' by Sarah White is a breezy and engaging look at the relationship between two best..."
LIFEL1K3

"LifeL1k3 is an engaging novel full of incredible writing, violence, action, romance, and strong world-building. Told in third person, and..."
Playing Her Secret Crush

" "Playing Her Secret Crush" follows Katie and Alex as they enter their senior year of high school. Katie has..."
The Year of Living Awkwardly

"Chloe Snow is a high school sophomore who is struggling with the abandonment of her mother. She also is absorbed..."
Six of Crows

" A clever and dark YA fantasy—featuring a well-rounded cast paired to a heist plot that tugs at the mind..."
Three Dark Crowns

"Original Review: literarychaos.com Rating: 2.5 Stars I really wanted to love this book, unfortunately, I just..."
These Rebel Waves

"THESE REBEL WAVES is the first book in a fantasy duology by Sara Raasch. The story is told in third..."