Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

wonderful

Simply stunning! "Defy the Stars" is a beautiful and incredible YA sci-fi. We begin with Noemi, a 17-year-old soldier from Genesis, a planet formerly settled by Earth and now engaged in full combat with Earth. Earth is dying and they want to take over Genesis. Genesis is free from pollutions and well maintained- they are worried Earth will destroy their planet too. Noemi is one of the soldiers who has volunteered to go on The Masada Run- a suicide mission intended to buy Genesis more time from Earth's attacks. Genesis is connected to the other planets of the Loop through gates in space. It is through these gates that the "mechs" or mechanical robots from Earth (named between B-Z, each letter having a different purpose; e.g. Charlies and Queens are the fighters) come.

While doing a scouting mission for the Masada Run, they detect some Earth mechs who have come through to attack. They must fight, and in the process, Noemi's adoptive sister, Esther, is attached. Noemi must save her at any cost and flies onto an abandoned spacecraft from Earth. Little does she know, there is a mech onboard who has been stranded for 30 years. Abel is something different and something special. There had been rumors of an A-model, but no one has actually heard of one. Abel also carries knowledge that could prevent the Masada Run and needless loss of life.

Together, Abel and Noemi embark on a quest throughout the galaxy and around the loop to save Genesis. Along their quest, there are some big questions the book poses, such as what it means to be human and have a soul- but also what is life and love. It is a beautifully intricate tale that grips you from the first chapters and carries you throughout. The book also addresses some other big points in terms of humanity's future and values as they travel from planet to planet- including some big things like elitism (intelligence and economic), refugees, terrorism, etc.

This is absolutely brilliant book, and I loved it! I am so sad that it ended; Gray has really outdone herself on this one. If you loved her Firebird series, you will love this one even more! The ending is not final but open, and I wish so much the next book was already here! This is an incredible series, and I cannot wait to continue it. This is definitely one of my newest favorite books!

Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Itsy Bitsy School Bus
A fun and playful back-to-school twist on the popular nursery...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Hearts
Perfect for Valentine's Day or any day--search-and-find fun from bestselling...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Bunnies
This bestselling board book now has a shiny new holographic...

0.0 (0)
Peep, Peep, I Love You
An adorable lift-the-flap springtime and Easter story, full of sweet...

0.0 (0)
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)
Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)
What About Harry?
From New York Times bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson comes the...

0.0 (0)
Roary the Lion Roars Too Loud (Wee Beasties)
Help little ones learn how to use their inside voices...

0.0 (0)
It’s the year 2191 and the last known civilization hides...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

"This book has EVERYTHING and is the ultimate, magical experience for fans of FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. There..."
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book

"This coloring book will take you on a magical adventure into the story THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. The pictures are..."
Mike

"Floyd is a very good young tennis player who has worked very closely with his supportive parents to do well...."
The Blood Spell

"Based loosely on the tale of Cinderella, The Blood Spell is the fourth standalone installment for the Ravenspire series of..."
The Haunted

"Hendricks and her family buy an old building in Drearford, New York after an incident. Her family 'hopes' this will..."
Just For Clicks

"Claire and her twin sister, Poppy, are ‘internet famous’. Every part of their lives have been blogged, photographed, and recorded..."
Obsidian (Lux #1)

"That's why I love paranormal romances :D"
On the Fence

"I'm a sucker for YA and Friends to Lovers romance, and Kasie West is one of my favorite YA author..."
Alienated (Alienated #1)

"I think I fell in love! Aelyx and Cara’s romance is of the slow-burn kind.... simply swoony! The..."
P.S. I Like You

"Be yourself, even when you don’t fit in! Two teenagers who both felt like something was missing in their lives..."
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

"NYC will never be the same after reading this great Urban Fantasy... Even my heart will never be the same..."
Catching Jordan

"It's sooooo cute!!!!!! I shipped Jordan and Sam pretty much from page 1. I can't praise this book enough...."
The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1)

"This book is absolutely amazing! Beautifully written and compelling, with memorable characters. I was completed invested in each of them!..."
On the Fence

"I've read this book twice now, and I can't stop thinking about it. I feel madly in love with Charlie,..."
Twilight (Twilight #1)

"Twilight is the epic love story of Edward and Bella. Forget any vampire romance you have read before, Twilight is..."
The Art of Losing

"Seventeen-year-old Harley has been dating Mike for a couple of years, and being his girlfriend gives her a status and..."
Midnight Angel

"Such a fantastic book. The story: Naomi is the daughter of harsh parents. They're part of a cult and..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"Wow besides the awesome title Beneath A Sinister Moon the inside of this book is even better. Things I wanted..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"If you thought Book 1 Between the Bleeding Willows was great you haven't read nothing yet. Within the Darkest Hollows..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"After Cassidy Ravanaugh's boyfriend Jace dies she goes to find a ring that he had been wearing. but get gets..."