Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

intriguing

"The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" was a wild ride, full of twists and turns. This young adult sci-fi follows Sofi, who feels fiercely protective of her younger brother Shilo. In this alternate future, World War 3 has destroyed much of the planet. In the aftermath, companies who were able to produce necessary items, like food or medicine, became the new government. People live in "Corp"s- Sofi lives in Corp30, where her mother is also CEO.

Around the end of the war, aliens called the Delonese also appeared and began to revolve around Earth. They gave humanity advanced technology and helped them to recover, seemingly without cost. They appear like beautiful, tall humans who do not blink. They are heavily involved in Earth matters.

Sofi and Shilo compete in dangerous games representing their Corp. Shilo is the gamer (gamers are teenagers who play for the wealth typically) on the field who must pass each level, at potential cost of his life or health. Sofi is the lead programmer who helps him to pass the levels/games. She must be the best, because Shilo's life depends on it. Everything is soon to change when an explosion during the game goes off, killing several gamers and bystanders. Sofi knows she saw her brother alive, even though they have declared him (and her) dead. To find Shilo, Sofi must uncover truths that others have been overlooking and recruit help, in the form of her ex-boyfriend.

Miguel is a delegate to Delon, and he finds himself unable to turn Sofi down when she asks for help. The novel is told in their alternating points of view. While it was slow in places, it was overall really fascinating, like a combination of Warcross with aliens. It ends with a bit of a cliffhanger, so I wanted to mention that as you'll want the next book right away!

The content gets a little dark at the end, so it might be better for older teens. Overall, it was a great YA sci-fi, and I can't wait to get into the next book! I'll also say that I liked the diversity of the main characters (Sofi's skin is brown and Miguel is Hispanic)- so great to see this!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)
The Diamond and the Boy
Told in a unique dual-narrative format, The Diamond and the...

0.0 (0)
Little Penguin Stays Awake
A charming companion to Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups and...

0.0 (0)
Merry Christmas, Little One
Christmas comes but once a year - Time...

0.0 (0)
Hi-Five Animals
What's the best way to say hello to anyone you...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs
After defeating the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Superpigs...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes...

0.0 (0)
I, Sofia-Elisabete, Love Child of Colonel Fitzwilliam: A Perfect World in the Moon
In 1815, a 5-year-old girl searches for Utopia in a...

0.0 (0)
The Way I Used to Be
The main character Eden is raped by her brother's best...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans with...

0.0 (0)
PortalsByAnnChristy.jpg
The world sees the portals as an invasion. For Lysa,...

0.0 (0)
ONE RULE. DON'T FALL FOR THE BAD BOY. Sixteen-year-old Jasmine...

0.0 (0)
The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)
The perfect spooky read for Halloween, this pulse-pounding adventure will...

0.0 (0)
Four Three Two One
Golden “Go” Jennings wasn’t supposed to be on Bus 21...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and play...

0.0 (0)
Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die
When thirteen-year-old Max Tilt stumbled across his great-great-great-grandfather Jules Verne’s...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Here to Stay

"Bijan Majidi does okay in high school-- he has a good friend, Sean, is on the basketball team, and while..."
Coming Up For Air

""Coming Up for Air" is a really fantastic YA romance. Maggie and Levi have been BFFs since they were 2..."
Dreams

"In 'Dreams' by Michelle Lynn, the past is a constant struggle while hope seems almost an irreparable goal. Yet, in..."
Game Change

"GAME CHANGE by Joseph Monninger follows its main character Zeb Holloway for one week in his life--and what a week..."
Coming Up For Air

"Swim. Eat. Shower. School. Snack. Swim. Swim. Swim. Dinner. Homework. Bed. Repeat. All of Maggie’s focus and free time..."
The Football Girl

"An amazing book with appealing characters."
The Football Girl

"Tessa is a great athlete-- she runs in a local race with her friends Marina and Lexie and wins first..."
The Crossover

"From the moment I heard Kwame Alexander read aloud a selection from his books, I knew I needed to pick..."
Defending Taylor

"This was an interesting book. Filled with the hardships of meeting expectations, Taylor is not sure what she wants to..."
Outward Blonde

"'Outward Blonde' by Trish Cook was a fun read. Main character Lizzie, while believing she is fiercely independent and able..."
Welcome to the Show: A Mickey Tussler Novel

"WELCOME TO THE SHOW by Frank Nappi is the third in the Mickey Tussler series featuring (you guessed it!) Mickey..."
Dreams

"Dreams by Michelle Lynn The Story: Taylor lost herself when the boy she loved died, and years later she..."
Top Prospect

"After Travis' older brother Carter is signed with the Gainesville Gators football team, Travis is thrilled. He also feels a..."
Defending Taylor

"It’s a great experience to jump back into the world of Hundred Oaks. This series has been one of my..."
Gutless

"Brock is a good kid, and a good athlete, and he's struggling with some difficult things in his life. His..."
Girl Against The Universe

"This book is good luck. It got me out of my reading slump. It picked me up when I was..."
If You're Reading This

"This YA contemporary centers around an almost 16-year-old boy named Michael Wilson, and his coming-of-age struggles as he shoulders the..."
Eleven Things I Promised

"Frances and her best friend Stella have planned to complete a 300+ mile bike ride for charity. Stella is the..."
Fast Break

"Jayson's mother dies of drug related problems and her boyfriend pays the rent for two months and then takes off...."
The Revenge Playbook

"Warning: The following review may be incoherent for the following reasons: (1) There are no words to describe how much..."