Review Detail

Lies That Bind Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

great sequel!

"Lies That Bind" is a great sequel in the Anastasia Phoenix series. While the first book had a lot of character building plus a big pace slow-down in the middle, this one has a smooth pace that keeps you easily reading throughout the book. Although the story isn't complete, this sequel didn't feel like an in-between book, but rather, told its own story. Here, Anastasia is staying in London with her crew- including her romantic interest Marcus. Determined to take down Department D, they embark on a journey to find other "Dresden kids"- kids who have been wronged by Department D, with the goal of collecting enough evidence to turn over to the CIA and shut it down for good.

Although it helps to have read the first book to really understand the characters, this book is set up well to be read a while after the first- everything from the first book is recapped well (not in too much detail, but just enough to remind you of what happened in the first). I really appreciated that, as it's not always easy to return to a series after some time. While this one maintains the teen-spy feel, it almost begins to feel more like a police procedural. Nothing comes out that is too surprising, but we follow the clues they gather to the end of the book.

The romance really builds well in this book, and although there is some teenager drama, it seems more natural here. The relationships are well done (not only between romantic interests, but between siblings, children, friends, etc.). The book moves really quickly overall and so it doesn't fixate on most of the side characters (there's one that I think maybe will pop up again in future books), but the plot is really driven forward here. More of the mysteries from the first come to light, and I think it advances the overall story really well. I look forward to seeing what Anastasia will do next!

Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Nightbooks
A boy is imprisoned by a witch and must tell...

0.0 (0)
Intoxic
When Alison Hayes walks into her storm-darkened trailer the afternoon...

5.0 (1)
Ranch Hero
Kid lit with a comic book twist! This is a...

0.0 (0)
The Black and White Ball
In a lush and bountiful woodland, teeming with magnificent wildlife,...

0.0 (0)
Kai's summer changes when she gets a summer internship at...

4.3 (1)
Zoe is just your average teenage girl expecting another average,...

0.0 (0)
Frango & Chicken
Some things seem impossible, but with the right attitude and...

0.0 (0)
Ruby Lane
Ruby is overexcited again, and her brain is spinning creative...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Ghost
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a...

0.0 (0)
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice
A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into...

0.0 (0)
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
From the critically acclaimed author of Waiting for Normal and...

0.0 (0)
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde
Texas: 1931. It’s the height of the Great Depression, and...

0.0 (0)
Voyage of the Dogs
SOS. Ship damaged. Human crew missing. We are...

0.0 (0)
Flying in a Cage
A song tugs inside me, like a string pulling...

0.0 (0)
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!
The energetic and zany duo Shorty and Clem are back,...

0.0 (0)
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find
If you want to keep kids happily busy for hours...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Tom's Midnight Garden Graphic Novel

"This graphic retelling remains true to the story of the classic 1958 British time slip story. Tom is sent to..."
1968: Today's Authors Explore a Year of Rebellion, Revolution, and Change

"In order for young people to make sense of the current sociopolitical landscape, it is not a bad idea for..."
Samantha Spinner and the Super-Secret Plans

"SAMANTHA SPINNER AND THE SUPER SECRET PLANS takes you on a historical adventure as Sam and her brother Nipper search..."
What's So Special About Shakespeare?

"This book is the perfect way to introduce to children who Shakespeare is. It opens up with what you might've..."
Voices from the Second World War: Stories of War as Told to Children of Today

"First News (https://www.firstnews.co.uk/) is a newspaper for children published in Great Britain, roughly akin to Scholastic News, but it seems..."
Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam

"The conflict in Vietnam was horrible, contentious, and defined the 1960s in many ways. In order to give an all-inclusive..."
Egyptology: The Coloring Book

"A beautiful companion to the original book, Egyptology: Search for the Tomb of Osiris. In 1926, Miss Emily Sands led..."
The Golden Thread: A Song for Pete Seeger

"'The Golden Thread: A Song for Pete Seeger' by Colin Meloy, illustrated by Nikki McClure, took a bit to get..."
Just Being Jackie

"'Just Being Jackie' by Margaret Cardillo, illustrated by Julia Denos, is a beautiful and culturally significant biography of former first..."
History's Mysteries: Curious Clues, Cold Cases, and Puzzles From the Past

"HISTORY'S MYSTERIES includes fascinating details, facts, and pictures of some of the world's biggest mysteries. Kitson Jazynka words everything so..."
Bad Princess: True Tales from Behind the Tiara

"I'm a huge British royalty fan. What's great about BAD PRINCESS is the author shares great insights into the lives..."
Fly Girls: The Forgotten Women Airforce Service Pilots of WWII

"While WWI used planes, the technology and use really took off during WWII. It's hard for people today to understand..."
Queer, There, and Everywhere: 23 People Who Changed the World

"What I Loved: Queer, There, and Everywhere is a quick read you’ll breeze through in one sitting thanks to simple..."
I Am a Story

" I Am a Story is a simple, yet extremely powerful children’s book. It is a perfect book to gift..."
Heroes for My Son

"True-to-life heroes--real people who've accomplished attainable yet noteworthy things. This book holds a timeless and intriguing premise. (Particularly in a..."
National Geographic Kids: The Book of Heroines

"A wonderful gift for any child at any age. The Book of Heroines is full of tales of the heroines..."
Courage & Defiance: Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in WWII Denmark

"Immersive, impactful and informative. This non-fiction account of World War 2 takes a somewhat more alternate angle than is usual—shedding..."
Grandpa's Great Escape

"Jack lives in a delightful small town in England in 1983. His grandfather lives in an apartment above a news..."
Fannie Never Flinched: One Woman’s Courage in the Struggle for American Labor Union Rights

"Fannie Sellins was a single mother trying to put food on the table for her four young children by working..."
The History Book (Big Ideas Simply Explained)

"This book attempts to serve as a non-exhaustive world history primer, with an eye-catching cover and plenty of threaded imagery..."