Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Uniquely Fantastic!

The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik is just what its title promises--strange and fascinating! It's the kind of gripping read that instantly makes you want to keep reading non-stop and wishing you could somehow become friends with all of the amazing characters.

I must confess that thinking back to Noah Hypnotik makes me strangely emotional. It felt relatable even though my mind's inner workings are nowhere near as smart as Noah's. He is funny and weird and interesting. Honestly, reading this book is how I think it would be if I somehow could read/hear a boy's mind. Perhaps that is it though. This book transported me into the mind of a boy who spent so much time obsessing over "strange fascinations" that always related to loneliness, and all his feelings and doubts I felt 100% in my own heart.

However, this book is not what I would call sad. It is an all-around fun and whimsical adventure that shines throught the wonderful relationships Noah has and builds. I loved how he is best friends with two amazing twins, Val and Alan, and that they refer themselves as a "delicate triangle". I particularly enjoyed whenever Noah and Alan were together since their interactions and love for each other is truly pure. Cannot forget to mention how much I adored Penny! Such a sassy and bright character, could genuinely spend days in her company and never get bored.

There's so much to this book and even after finishing and having time to process, I still cannot find words to convey all the amazing details found within its pages. It has drawings! Constant mention of Gilmore Girls and Breakfast at Tiffany's! David Bowie! It is seriously packed with so many fun references that made me smile the entire time (except, you know, when it got deeply emotional).

Final Verdict:

This is my first book by David Arnold but it certainly won't be my last! Captivating, amazingly weird and unputdownable, The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik is the book you have to read in the near future, if not now. You won't regret it!

Good Points
Fun cast of characters
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Truth Lies Here
In small town Michigan, Penny, an aspiring journalist, teams up...

0.0 (0)
Scream All Night
A darkly hilarious contemporary realistic young adult novel about growing...

0.0 (0)
Meet the Sky
From award-winning author McCall Hoyle comes a new young adult...

0.0 (0)
A Touch of Gold
King Midas once had the ability to turn all he...

0.0 (0)
A Dog in King Arthur’s Court (Cavall in Camelot #1)
In Camelot, King Arthur’s dog encounters a world of danger...

0.0 (0)
The Fray
She's been trained for battle but is she ready for...

0.0 (0)
Emergence (Kindred Ties: Book Two)
The fight for order has only just begun… Fletcher, Ariana...

0.0 (0)
All Summer Long.jpg
A coming-of-age middle-grade graphic novel about summer and friendships, written...

4.0 (1)
They Say Blue
Caldecott and Printz Honor-winning illustrator Jillian Tamaki brings us a...

4.0 (1)
Lady Knight (Crystal Journals) Book 3
Shortlisted 2018-19 "Chocolate Lily Book Award"... ...

0.0 (0)
Pharaoh's Tomb (Crystal Journals) Book 2
So begins the next adventure for Susan Sinclair, the young...

0.0 (0)
The 13th Key
When the fate of Talisker relies on a solitary teenage...

0.0 (0)
The Turnaway Girls
Delphernia Undersea wants to sing. But everyone on Blightsend knows...

0.0 (0)
The Looking Glass
GIRLS IN TROUBLE. That’s what...

0.0 (0)
Twilight of the Elves (The Adventurers Guild #2)
I should probably start at the beginning, Zed wrote, when...

0.0 (0)
The Button War: A Tale of The Great War
Twelve-year-old Patryk knows little of the world beyond his...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over

"'Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over' by Shani Petroff captures the angst of romantic hardships and misunderstandings. When eighteen-year-old..."
The Opposite of Innocent

"'The Opposite of Innocent' is yet another fantastic novel-in-verse by the illustrious Sonya Sones. The story will draw readers in..."
The Last Best Story

"'The Last Best Story' by Maggie Lehrman is provocative and intriguing, bringing a shadow of a doubt to the truth-finding..."
Missing at 17

"When Candice, better known as Candy, discovers that she's adopted, she feels betrayed and angry. These negative emotions make her..."
Let Me List the Ways

"'Let Me List the Ways' by Sarah White is a breezy and engaging look at the relationship between two best..."
The Year of Living Awkwardly

"Chloe Snow is a high school sophomore who is struggling with the abandonment of her mother. She also is absorbed..."
Three Dark Crowns

"Original Review: literarychaos.com Rating: 2.5 Stars I really wanted to love this book, unfortunately, I just..."
Denis Ever After

"Denis died when he was 7, and he's getting along just fine in Port Haven--the place where souls hang out..."
Fireblood (Frostblood #2)

""Fireblood" was a pretty good continuation of the Frostblood Saga. While the first book took place in the land of..."
Heartless

""Heartless" is the origin story for the Queen of Hearts (of Alice in Wonderland fame). Catherine, destined to be the..."
Nemesis

""Nemesis" is a really enthralling YA fantasy. We begin with Sepora who is fleeing her kingdom to prevent the war..."
FREEKS

""Freeks" is a captivating paranormal mystery. Mara has lived all her life with a circus, traveling from one place to..."
Defy the Stars (Untitled #1)

"Simply stunning! "Defy the Stars" is a beautiful and incredible YA sci-fi. We begin with Noemi, a 17-year-old soldier from..."
THE EVAPORATION OF SOFI SNOW

""The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" was a wild ride, full of twists and turns. This young adult sci-fi follows Sofi,..."
The Best Possible Answer

""The Best Possible Answer" takes place during the summer between Viviana (Vivi)'s junior and senior years of high school, when..."
The Sleeping Prince

""The Sleeping Prince" is a dark and fast paced sequel to "The Sin Eater's Daughter." The book shifts to Errin's..."
North of Happy

""North of Happy" is a touching YA book about exploring your passions and recovering after tragedy. Carlos was in high..."
Proof of Lies

"“Proof of Lies” is a unique YA spy novel. Anastasia has been raised by her sister Keira ever since their..."
The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1)

""The Raven Boys" is a haunting, lyrical masterpiece. Blue is a young woman whose mother is a genuine psychic. She..."
True North (True Born Trilogy)

"“True North” is a fantastic continuation of the True Born series. Lucy is on her own with her parents and..."