Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Dark, engaging and magical

I am a terrible fantasy fan. Why? Because I’ve never read a novel by Tamora Pierce.

I am definitely going to have to correct that mistake by attempting to read her entire Tortall series, because, oh gosh, Tempests and Slaughter was magnificent.

In Tempests and Slaughter, Pierce returns to the very early days of her Tortall series by focusing on the childhood, and eventual rise, of the powerful mage, Numair Salmalín, who is introduced in Wild Magic (Immortals, #1). Originally known as Arram Draper, the book relates his first few years at the University of Carthak in the School of Mages, and a majority of the book is undoubtedly setting up for the rest of the series. But it was still highly enjoyable.

Tempests and Slaughter is the first pure fantasy novel I’ve read in a long time, and it’s such a welcoming feeling to return to a genre that you adore. While the characters tripped me up a little at the beginning of the book, Pierce’s clear writing – definitely something that is needed in fantasy – drew me into the story, and I was able to follow along perfectly for someone who is so completely new to the Tortall universe.

A lot of the novel is focused on Arram’s magical education and the development of his friendships with a girl named Varice (who is his lover in another series) and Prince Ozorne, one of the seven heirs to the throne of Carthak … who later, in another series, becomes one of Numair’s most bitter enemies. While Tempests and Slaughter did an amazing job at highlighting the deep friendship between the two boys, it still set up little moments of disagreement between Arram and Ozorne, and I am highly excited to read about exactly how they become enemies in the next book, The Exile’s Gift.

The novel progresses episodically, which means that there is no larger plot at hand: it’s basically Arram through his years at the university as he studies different forms of magic, meets a few gods, understand that slavery is abhorrent, and learns to utilise his healing Gift. However, there is still little snippets of a larger storyline, which I believe will properly come to light in the next book. In the meantime, I had a fun time piecing together the clues and having wild guesses. It was definitely an experience to come at this book with no knowledge whatsoever from the previous books in Pierce’s series’.

The history and culture in the books was so fascinating. Carthak is a powerful country that conquers at whim, practices slavery, and has very intriguing political issues. At the beginning of the novel, there is a large number of heirs to the throne – perhaps around four or five left – but by the end, there’s only Ozorne and an older cousin remaining. I have my theories, but I won’t share them in case they’re considered spoilers.

Undoubtedly, my favourite character was Arram. He has a very strong moral compass, and always tries to do the right thing. He’s shy, cautious, enthusiastic about studying, and fiercely loyal. He’s such a great protagonist and I loved reading from his perspective. Despite the fact that Arram could be a little obtuse at times, the reader has no issue reading between the lines that Arram cannot see and uncovering the secrets in the plot for themselves.

Tempests and Slaughter is a throughly enjoyable high fantasy novel that I recommend to Tamora Pierce fans and newbies, like myself. Although I was a little worried that I wouldn’t be able to follow along clearly – with my lack of knowledge – there was no cause for concern. The novel is readable, concise, and highly entertaining. I am so very excited to continue the series, now that everything has been set up in the first novel. In the mean time, I’m going to get my hands on a copy of the first Immortals book.

Good Points
Check out my blog and other reviews: thebookcorps.wordpress.com
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The God Gene Chronicles: The Secret of the Gods
Legend and lore lay the foundation for this exciting new...

0.0 (0)
Big Water
Seventeen-year-old Christina McBurney has led a sheltered life. But when...

0.0 (0)
Two schools: One of magic and science, the other focused...

0.0 (0)
The Kidult Handbook: From Blanket Forts to Capture the Flag, a Grownup's Guide to Playing Like a Kid
Adulting is hard! But “kidulting”— engaging in nostalgic childhood activities...

0.0 (0)
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World
Did you know that the blue whale could blow up...

0.0 (0)
Meant To Be Broken
Rayne Davidson is perfectly happy fading into the background. Her...

5.0 (3)
Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)
Finding-Elora.jpg
High school’s a whole new ballgame. Elora used...

0.0 (0)
Deadly Exodus
Their love is forbidden…their lives in danger… ...

0.0 (0)
Front Cover
Join Clementine on a Winter Adventure in the Great Outdoors!...

0.0 (0)
Front cover
Growing up as a biracial child, Maggy Williams had three...

0.0 (0)
hanna_final.jpg
Inspired by real Holocaust events, this poignant debut novel is...

0.0 (0)
51MO7YjcihL.jpg
Twins Finn and Eric’s peaceful lives are turned upside down...

0.0 (0)
Super Rabbit Racers!: A Branches Book (Press Start! #3)
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
Original Syn
Fifty years after the Singularity, the world is divided into...

5.0 (1)
What I Leave Behind
After his dad commits suicide, Will tries to overcome...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Last First Daughter

"Intriguing and action packed. The Story: The country has been in a silent age for a decade after terrorists..."
Zombie Queen of Newbury High

"This book was probably the best book I have ever read. I loved the end so much I wished there..."
Meant To Be Broken

"*I was given an e-galley.* Brandy Woods Snow is a wonderfully talented writer and plotter! This story has a..."
Meant To Be Broken

"Aw yes, transparency. I’m but one of her brutal critique partners and friends. Will this book capture you..."
Meant To Be Broken

"I COULD NOT STOP READING THIS BOOK! I fell in love with all the characters and secretly plotted the death..."
The Kidult Handbook: From Blanket Forts to Capture the Flag, a Grownup's Guide to Playing Like a Kid

"THE KIDULT HANDBOOK is the perfect book to pull out on a boring day. It is packed with fun activities..."
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."
Switching Gears

"Lucas Nelson loved Emmy Martin, but he waited until a week before he died of cancer to tell her that...."
Sky in the Deep

"What worked: This is a highly engaging historical tale of a teen warrior who is taken by a rival clan..."
We Are All That's Left

" Zara feels shut off from her Bosnian born mother. She knows that her mother survived some..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"Seriously, is it possible to read this book without crying? Asking for allllllll offffff myyyyyyy friiiiiiiiiends."
Super Rabbit Racers!: A Branches Book (Press Start! #3)

"In this story, Chris joins Sunny and Rue for a few friendly rounds of Rabbit Racers. (He’s never played before,..."
Frat Girl

"The writing style is what really stands out in this book-- SO easy to read, conversational, believable character interactions. It..."
Original Syn

"Got an ARC of this one and flew through it. So so good."
What I Leave Behind

"Will’s dad commits suicide. His childhood friend, Playa, is raped at a party. His mom works long over-night shifts as..."
When Paul Met Artie: The Story of Simon & Garfunkel

"'When Paul Met Artie: The Story of Simon & Garfunkel' by G. Neri, illustrated by David Litchfield, is an artistic..."
Two Truths and a Lie: Histories and Mysteries

"'Two Truths and a Lie: Histories and Mysteries' by Ammi-Joan Paquette and Laurie Ann Thompson is a fun read, chock..."
Watcher

"The story: Sawyer is an orphaned girl who lives in a world not unlike that of the Terminator movies,..."
Savage Beauty

"SAVAGE BEAUTY is a dark twist on the classic fairytale Sleeping Beauty. Aura and Luna are sisters, but they're the..."
All The Crooked Saints

"Trust me when I say no one was more stunned than me when I enjoyed All the Crooked Saints. ..."