Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Review: Fatal Throne by Candace Fleming et al.

“Fatal Throne” chronicles the six wives of England’s King Henry VIII. Each queen had a part narrating in first person point of view. Right after each queens’ parts are King Henry’s sort of rebuttal thoughts about each queen. Full disclosure: I didn’t know much about Henry VIII and his wives until I read this book. Paying attention in history classes is not my strong suit ever. Also, I do not read a lot of historical fiction. So bear in mind that the following opinions are coming from no history aficionado.

So, about the book. I was mildly surprised that I found it engrossing. The politics, the intrigues, the royal drama! Each of the queen’s story is like a dark fairy tale. They enter the palace with the hopes of a happy marriage only to end up in differing levels of tragedy. And what’s shocking here is these stories are actually not entirely fictional. I know so because I did a lot of looking up on Wikipedia right after finishing the book because I somehow seem to can’t get enough of these people.

The book is mainly about these six queens and the patriarchal pressures that lead them to their doomed fates. These women have their own strength and intelligence but because they are from the times when women have little rights, they suffer greatly when they attempt to become their own person. Their scheming fathers, uncles, or brothers treat them as pawns in their political power plays. After marriage, they were mostly reduced as mere vessels of the heir to the crown. And when they couldn’t serve their purpose anymore or if they fell out of the king’s favor, they were discarded like old toys. All women were deeply flawed and/or morally gray but despite that, I have nothing but utter respect for their grace and resilience under such oppressive times.

Each point of view is written by a different author and the book benefited a lot from it because you can really feel the uniqueness in their voices. The weakest link is King Henry’s parts in-between. He seemed one-dimensional, portrayed solely from a bad light. But I think that’s intentional so that the reader could really hate on him. And the book is not about him anyways, it’s about his six queens. My favorite part would be that of Anna of Cleves for two reasons. First, because its the most fairy tale that this book can get. Anna of Cleves got the closest to a happily ever after ending among all the king’s wives —she became “free” from a combination of her cleverness and luck. Second is because I felt that her character spoke to me while she is talking to fictional young servant girl named Alice. I gained a lot of insight through their conversation.

What I really like about the book is that it does not feel academic, therefore it’s so easy to read. Sure there are dates, names and events but the thoughts and feelings of the queens are what’s front and center. The book humanized these women in history for me. It gave them voices so they can impart their queenly wisdom to us. I cannot speak for hard core readers of historical fiction but as a genre novice, “Fatal Throne” comes highly recommended.

Good Points
- intriguing lives of women from whence women have little to no rights.
- an antagonist that you'll love to hate
- unique voices from each point of views
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

What the Night Sings
For fans of The Book Thief and The Boy in...

0.0 (0)
In the first book of this new series, Sage Stone...

0.0 (0)
Bright Burns the Night
Ten years ago, King Lorcan of the Dark Kingdom...

0.0 (0)
The Edge of Juniper
Malcolm Dearing is sweet, gorgeous, persistent...and off-limits. Fay is...

0.0 (0)
Marked Beauty
Uncovering hidden secrets can sometimes kill you . ....

0.0 (0)
Listen to Your Heart
Kasie West brings us another compelling read with “Listen...

5.0 (1)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until...

0.0 (0)
And She Was
Dara’s lived a sheltered life with her single mom,...

0.0 (0)
The God Gene Chronicles: The Secret of the Gods
Legend and lore lay the foundation for this exciting new...

0.0 (0)
Big Water
Seventeen-year-old Christina McBurney has led a sheltered life. But when...

0.0 (0)
Two schools: One of magic and science, the other focused...

0.0 (0)
The Kidult Handbook: From Blanket Forts to Capture the Flag, a Grownup's Guide to Playing Like a Kid
Adulting is hard! But “kidulting”— engaging in nostalgic childhood activities...

0.0 (0)
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World
Did you know that the blue whale could blow up...

0.0 (0)
Meant To Be Broken
Rayne Davidson is perfectly happy fading into the background. Her...

5.0 (3)
Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)
Finding-Elora.jpg
High school’s a whole new ballgame. Elora used...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Home of the Braves

"Reader reviewed by Kristen This book made me cry. It was just so moving in the way it was written..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by Desire'e I luv that the idea that "angles" can get lost and that people could over come..."
You Don't Know Me

"Reader reviewed by Dede John is a teenager who has a tough life. His dad walked out and disappeared..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by Jennsinkona The begining is exciting, because its what us everyday person would love to wake up and..."
You Don't Know Me

"Reader reviewed by Jazzy Spazzy 0MG! This was far most the awesome book I have read. I don't read many..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by Ashton At the beginning of this year we read the book Dark Angel. Honestly I though it..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by d-hazz I thought it was a good book with a great story line. It played with everyone's..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by JAY I RATED THIS BOOK A 3 BECAUSE THIS IS NOT REALLY MY KIND OF BOOK. THIS..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by Bob Dark Angel is a good book for grades 8 and 9 because it is about a..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by Julian I really enjoyed this book because it was not like any other young adult book i..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by Craig The book Dark angel was a very optimistic book. If I had to choose up a..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by stephen Alright, if you ask me I say you should read this book because it's a good..."
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by katie At first when my class started reading the novel Dark Angel I was pretty pessimistic.The more..."
You Don't Know Me

"Reader reviewed by TheBookworm Sad, Witty, Horrible, Humorous& Odd right. Nope. You dont know me& by David Klass 5..."
You Don't Know Me

"Reader reviewed by Kristin You Don't Know Me is the most interesting, eccentric, endearing, and flat out best book I..."
You Don't Know Me

"Reader reviewed by Jellybean. =) Wow. 'You Don't Know Me' is a truly unique book. It had me laughing hysterically..."
Home of the Braves

"Reader reviewed by Nair This book I only checked it out from my school library, because I didn't have much..."
You Don't Know Me

"Reader reviewed by angel0292 i read this book a while ago, but i really liked it. My friend recommended it..."
You Don't Know Me

"Reader reviewed by JEN"
Dark Angel

"Reader reviewed by libraraine Jeff's life has been perfect for the past 5 years, but he's received some shocking news..."