Review Detail

Zombie Abbey Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Downton Abbey with Zombies!

It's been a long time since I had read a zombie novel and even more, one as entertaining as Zombie Abbey! Reminiscent to one of my favorite TV shows, Downton Abbey, and one of my all-time favorite novels, Pride and Prejudice -- this novel turned out to be a delight to read about from page one!

What I Liked:

I've never been much of a fan of zombies (gore and horror is not really my thing), but after reading the premise of this novel, I just knew I had to read it. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint AT ALL. I laughed, I swooned a bit, perhaps even felt stressed and sad as a few favorite characters were taken down and turned into zombies. Before I knew it, I was done with the novel and in need for more! (Will there be more?! Hope so!)

Zombie Abbey has several alternating points of view, from the three Clarke sisters to the staff working at Porthampton Abbey. It's a bit hard keeping up with them at first, but as soon as I managed to recognize who is who based on Downton Abbey, it proved to be a much easier read for me and also a lot more fun since I could easily picture them in my head (I just looove Downton Abbey's characters so much!). In this novel, my favorite POVs/characters turned out to be Fanny (the maid), and the Clarke Sisters (especially Grace and Lizzy).

This book might have a slow start since it takes its time to introduce the situation of Porthampton Abbey's occupants, but it later turns into an action-packed chaos as the Upstairs (Clarkes) and the Downstairs (the staff) have to set aside their prejudices and work together before they get their hearts eaten and turned into zombies! It's well worth the wait if you ask me. ;)

However, if you are expecting horror, then you might not get what you want since it's not truly a horrifying read. It has quite a bit of gore, but the overall take on Zombies and the reactions of Porthampton Abbey's residents when they face them is super funny. I loved it this way, but I can see how some might not really enjoy it. But if you are faint of heart like me, this might also be your kind of read! With Zombies!

What Left Me Wanting More:

I have to admit that I was a expecting more right at the ending. It's left a bit too loose and I'm afraid we will never know how things turn out for some of characters as this seems to be a standalone novel. But perhaps there is hope for a sequel? Crossing fingers!

Final Verdict:

If you are looking for a diverting paranormal read à la Downton Abbey and Pride and Prejudice with lots and lots of zombies, then you'll surely enjoy Zombie Abbey and come to love everyone at Porthampton Abbey! ?

Good Points
Lots of humor!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Werewolf Queen
I always wished I had supernatural powers. Now I wish...

0.0 (0)
Unicorns Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)
Stardust and glitter and rainbows, oh my! Did you know...

0.0 (0)
This Is Not a Love Scene
Lights, camera―all Maeve needs is action. But at eighteen, a...

0.0 (0)
Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc
Bestselling author David Elliott explores how Joan of Arc...

0.0 (0)
Dragons Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)
Moonlight and courage and sparks, oh my! That's what dragons...

0.0 (0)
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe
Who do you become when you have nothing left...

0.0 (0)
Leaving Jackson Wolf
Passing through the transition hallway at South Park High...

0.0 (0)
Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)
King Arthur as you've never imagined! This bold, sizzling...

0.0 (0)
Tuned Into You
A summer party is the last place Lydia Flowers...

0.0 (0)
Beware the Night (Beware the Night, #1)
When her world divides, pitting light against dark, Veda...

0.0 (0)
controlfreak_wordart (wecompress.com).png
He actually gets the girl in this story. His perfect...

0.0 (0)
The Soul of Power (The Waking Land, #3)
One young woman learns the true nature of power—both her...

0.0 (0)
Oath Taker
Light magic is forbidden. Dark magic spells death....

0.0 (0)
Twisted Saga Collection 1
Save almost 40% off the price of the single books...

0.0 (0)
The Sin Soldiers Cover
Red compound makes them angry. Yellow exhausts them. Blue drives...

0.0 (0)
Hunter's Truce
The Big Bad Wolf never killed for fun—he was on...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas

"Prince Henrik wants to marry a princess, until he discovers how sensitive they really are. Instead, Prince Henrik realizes he..."
Nightbooks

"Alex describes himself as a kid who plays with "what ifs" while other kids are playing with dogs, and that..."
The Worst Fairy Godmother Ever!

"Isabelle is a fairy-godmother-in-training and is so nervous that she's going to wind up being terrible like her mother was...."
Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)

"Abby and Jonah take another trip through their magic mirror after being told their grounded from technology. This time, it..."
Sleeping Beauty, the One Who Took the Really Long Nap

"SLEEPING BEAUTY: THE ONE WHO TOOK THE REALLY LONG NAP is the second book in Wendy's Twice Upon A Time..."
Mother Cary's Butter Knife (Shadows & Light)

"I have never heard of this author or these books and I am so amazed that I haven’t. Not only..."
Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After Special Edition)

"This had several interesting twists for this series. I did enjoy the fact that the difference between a fairy tale..."
Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)

"In the WHATEVER AFTER SERIES, brother and sister Abby and Jonah have a magical mirror in their basement. The fairy..."
The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors

"'The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors,' written by Drew Daywalt and illustrated by Adam Rex, is an enjoyable play on..."
The Princess and the Frogs

"Princess Cassandra has dresses, books, and servants, but she doesn’t have a best friend. Fortunately she has servants to send..."
Prince Ribbit

"'Prince Ribbit,' written by Jonathan Emmett and illustrated by Poly Bernatene, is a splendid story with an interesting and all-too-true..."
Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)

"Abby is having a bad day-- she and her brother Jonah break a lamp playing duckball in the house, they..."
Gretel Pushes Back (Grimmtastic Girls #8)

"All Gretel wants to do is hike and work on her hiking guide, but everything keeps getting in the way,..."
Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella (Tyme #2)

"Returning the the land of Thyme that was the setting for Rapunzel's adventures in Grounded, we catch up with several..."
Dragons from Mars

"Dragons from Mars was such a beautifully illustrated story. I have never read a book illustrated by Colin Jack but..."
Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion

"In a new take on Little Red Riding Hood, LITTLE RED AND THE VERY HUNGRY LION by Alex T. Smith..."
Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)

"Since Abby has found out that Maryrose has been cursed, she goes through the mirror to try to help her,..."
Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood

"Red grew up using magic…badly. Now, she stays far away from it and only watches her Granny perform the wonders...."
Beauty and the Beast

"When a father steals a rose from a beast, the daughter offers to stay with the beast forever to save..."

"Hatter has always lived on the outskirts of the Wonderland Millinery Academy, ever since the death of his parents. Now,..."