Review Detail

Ink Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The First in a New Dystopian Series

Sixteen-year-old Leora's dad is dying, but Leora and her mom, Sophie, take comfort in the fact that he'll live on through his book--the story of his life that is told through the tattoos he has acquired to commemorate special moments, deeds, and beliefs. Everyone in their town of Saintstone tattoos themselves in this way, and after death, the skin is flayed, tattoos are removed, and a book is created from them. During a special ceremony, the government determines if a person has a good life and will be immortalized, or if they will become one of the Forgotten. Leora isn't worried because her dad was one of the best people she has ever known. He was a friend to many, an accomplished flayer, and an amazing father and husband. And then....

INK by Alice Broadway starts with the end of Leora's dad's life, and it follows Leora's transition from a protected daddy's girl to a naive and socially awkward apprentice, and her growth from apprentice to pawn to a young woman with a mind of her own. The world in INK is a fascinating dystopian world where people's lives are on display through their tattoos, and the government has declared this to be for the best because secrets can hide evil and rebellion. There are those in the world who choose not to get tattoos, blanks, and children of Saintstone are raised to fear anyone who would choose to hide themselves behind un-inked skin.

Leora's story is told in the first person, and that's the perfect vehicle for a character who is forced to challenge firmly held personal beliefs. There are also fairy tales and fables woven into the narrative, and those thankfully add depth to the plot rather than detract from it. Leora's character is well-formed, and even when she's annoying, I was still rooting for her to do the right thing. The other characters in INK are less well developed, but there's hope for them to come into their own since this is the first book in a series.

The pacing of INK is sometimes slow, and the world building in it leads to some confusion--partially because the building is necessarily done through Leora, and she spends a lot of time confused. As clarity begins to come to her toward the end of the book, the pace picks up, and my view of the book's society sharpened. I admit that I also had to work through the ickiness of the skin-flaying/book-making aspect of the story.

Ultimately, INK is a promising start to what promises to be a good series. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the beautiful jacket art and design, and the terrific overall page design. Shout out to the creative folks responsible for a job well done.

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

Good Points
A promising start to a series
Beautiful cover and page design
An interesting new dystopian world
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Blood Spell
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the...

0.0 (0)
Ogre Enchanted
In this prequel to Ella Enchanted, which can stand on...

0.0 (0)
Home and Away
Tasia Quirk is young, Black, and fabulous. She's a senior,...

0.0 (0)
Mirage
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire,...

0.0 (0)
Dactyl Hill Squad
It's 1863 and dinosaurs roam the streets of New York...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate Brighton...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara,...

0.0 (0)
People several generations ago talk about what they were doing...

5.0 (1)
The Storm Runner
Zane has always enjoyed exploring the dormant volcano near his...

0.0 (0)
Mother Tongue
On the day she brings her sweet little sister,...

0.0 (0)
After being scarred by an unimaginable lie, Erik commits...

0.0 (0)
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
"I'm here to take you to live with your...

0.0 (0)
safe_image.jpeg
Twins raised far from the darkness are the key...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A...

0.0 (0)
Kiss Collector
Seventeen-year-old Zae Monroe is over relationships. Between getting cheated...

0.0 (0)
The Disasters
Hotshot pilot Nax Hall has a history of making...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Blood Spell

"Blue de la Cour enjoys her quiet life with her father, passing the days by working in the shop and..."

"The Channeler is the first book in a new YA fantasy series written by William H. Kline IV. Tommy,..."
364 Days a Year

"The story: Effy Garcia commits suicide on her seventeenth birthday. Her body is then possessed by a wandering spirit..."
Mother Tongue

"As MOTHER TONGUE by Julie Mayhew begins, eighteen-year-old Darya envisions the bits of freedom she'll enjoy once her little sister,..."
Watch Hollow

"Lucy and Oliver Tinker's father repairs clocks for a living, but the business isn't doing well. After the death of..."
The Secret Lives of Princesses

"'The Secret Lives of Princesses' by Seven Steps is yet another enjoyable addition to the St. Mary's Academy series of..."
Underwater

"Bailey has recently lost her parents to a violent crime. She and her younger sister Tilly are desperately trying..."
Mend A Story of Divorce

"What worked: Explores one teen's experience of dealing with the divorce of her parents. For those going through a similar..."
Courageous

"Aidan lives in a fishing village in England. His one brother has died in the war, but George is still..."
Tom Gates Is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) (#5)

"The big event in Tom's world is the upcoming School Activity Trip, but he might not be going! He forgot..."
Bravelands #3: Blood and Bone

"Thorn, a baboon, Sky, an elephant, and Fearless, a lion, have been friends since childhood. Due to the evil influence..."
On Delicate Wings

"‘On Delicate Wings’ is the story of Mia, who struggles with her reputation as a nerd at school. When beautiful..."
Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle: An Endless Quest Book

"Consider this a sort of D&D primer for intro-level youth. Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after..."
Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble: An Endless Quest Book

"Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore. It also features a vast..."
Tales from the Inner City

"In this heavily illustrated short story collection, Tan explores the interconnectedness of humans and the natural world. Using animals to..."
The Unteachables

"Mr. Kermit is entering his 30th year of teaching, and he's already put in for early retirement. He started his..."
Parasite Life

"Jane is stuck in a creepy old house with her invalid mother. She has no idea why her mother is..."
Clink A Story of Cyberbullying

"This is a graphic novel adaptation of a real teen's experience of being bullied online. What worked: This is..."
When Fall Breaks

"Kaitlyn is living the perfect country life with her family in Northern California. She is a great student, swimmer, and..."
Hearts Unbroken

N/A
"There are a lot of entry-points to the storylines in Cynthia Leitich Smith's Hearts Unbroken. I recommend this book especially..."