Review Detail

Loser's Bracket Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Timely and Hopeful Story

Annie is a high school senior who has a lot of family problems. Her bio mom, Nancy, lost custody some time ago due to extreme neglect and drug use, and Annie has been living with the Howards for a number of years, and she gets along well with their son, Marvin, who is about her age. Annie's sport is basketball, and she's hoping to get some college scholarships, but she is using the off season to swim, a sport at which she does not excel. The one good thing about swimming is that Nancy, her half sister Sheila, and Sheila's son, Frankie, often come to watch her, even though she is not supposed to have contact with them. The Howards know about this, and are generally okay with it, but when her foster father thinks that meeting with her bio family makes her misbehave, he wants her to cut off all contact. Sheila is not any better as a parent than Nancy was, but when Frankie goes missing at one of her meets, Annie blames herself. Nancy's boyfriend, Walter, is the most reliable one in the family, and turns out to be more involved in Frankie's life than Annie imagined. At the same time, the Howard family starts to have problems of their own. Will Annie be able to hold her own life together long enough to graduate and go on to college?

The language in this, as is usual for Crutcher, is "gritty and realistic", which means there are multiple uses of profanity, including the f-bomb. Situations found in young adult fiction are notably absent, but there is a fair amount of descriptions of the abuse Annie and Frankie have suffered.

Good Points
Crutcher has worked as a family counselor and this experience adds a lot to all of his books. He does an excellent job of explaining the challenges that Annie faces in the sort of detail that readers want in their sad books. He also makes it understandable that Annie is not willing to cease all contact with her family, no matter how awful they are to her. The Howards are a solid foster family, but it's good to see them portrayed as somewhat flawed as well. Annie's relationship with Marvin is fun to see, as their sibling bond is typically adversarial at times, but also very sweet.

The inclusion of swimming is fantastic-- aside from this author's Whale Talk, Calame's Swim the Fly, Crossan's The Weight of Water, Dominy's A Matter of Heart and Luurtsema's Goldfish, there aren't that many books about swimming published for young adults. Readers who like to read about people whose lives are worse than their own (and there are a lot of readers who do!) will find that Crutcher's book, while dealing with serious issues, treats them with constructive levels of hope. It's easy to envision a successful life for Annie, even though it might not be an easy one.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

First the vampires attacked. Then the angels came....

5.0 (1)
The Caged Queen
Kristen Ciccarelli’s distinct brand of lyrical, haunting fantasy continues in...

0.0 (0)
Someday
Every day a new body. Every day a new life....

0.0 (0)
#1 Bestseller on Kobo and Category Bestseller on Amazon! ...

4.8 (3)
What if you were the missing piece in one of...

0.0 (0)
The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day
Kristy's mom is getting married, and Kristy is going to...

0.0 (0)
The Very Last Castle
A curious little girl watches the man who guards the...

0.0 (0)
Jack B. Ninja
Jack B. Ninja! Jack, be quick! Jack, jump over the...

0.0 (0)
Emerge: The Assignment: An Immortals of Indriell Novella
She has devoted her life to training with the...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans...

0.0 (0)
Freak N Gorgeous
Everyone is ugly sometimes. In a world not unlike...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously...

0.0 (0)
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)
Death. Sacrifice. Betrayal. That is your curse. The seer's...

0.0 (0)
The Forest Queen
When sixteen-year-old Sylvie’s brother takes over management of their family’s...

0.0 (0)
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)
There's a storm coming! The other WellieWishers promise to help...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Eerie

"if you look through my books here in goodreads, the paranormal genre does not belong here. but this book drew..."
Eerie

"Book 2 promises to just as good 8D with several new surprises ;)"
Eerie

"This book captured me from the very start! I fell in love with all of the characters...I fell in love..."
Eerie

"Love paranormal reads? How about ones that will keep you awake and at the edge of your seat? This..."
Eerie

"Wow it has been a long time since I have read a book with such a unique world. Bear..."
Eerie

"Is Eerie 2 coming out soon? I want it NOW! :-D"
Eerie

"I absolute LOVED the book and couldn't put it down, It starts out rather sweet with Holly and Hailey helping..."
Eerie

"Eerie is one of those books that you get lost in. You forget about reality and become part of the..."
Eerie

"Take The Magicians throw in some potter and a splash of whiskey and you're destined to have this masterpiece! ..."
Eerie

"I found Eerie by chance, or maybe fate, either way, I LOVED this book. C.M. McCoy captured the ambiance of..."
Eerie

"Eerie is a thrilling paranormal romance and an engaging mystery. Hailey Hartley enrolls into the ParaScience University in Alaska after..."
Eerie

"I love Eerie from beginning to end. What moved me was the dedication to finding out the reason why Hailey's..."
Eerie

"I've heard the book described as a cross between Twilight and Harry Potter. I'm not sure that does the story..."
Eerie

"I absolutely loved this book!! From the very beginning the author grabs your attention and holds it throughout the book...."
Eerie

" I love YA stories so I totally enjoyed Eerie. "
Eerie

"The only option I wish was available that wasn't was the text-to-speech on my Kindle."
Eerie

"Let's dig into EERIE, a YA Paranormal/Supernatural Romance novel. It is centered around a girl named Hailey, whose sister has..."
Eerie

"Eerie is a very unique book. If you like Irish dancing, murder, out-cast banshees, albino ghosts that pop out of..."