Review Detail

Someone to Love Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Intense and Sensitve Read

First off, I would like to give a trigger warning because the main character has bulimia and cuts herself.

Olivia is the daughter of a politician and there's a lot of stress that comes with it. One thing she feels is most important is her weight. Olivia has trouble accepting herself for who she is. Instead, she hates herself and the throwing up helps her have control over something in her life.

Olivia has always had a crush on celebrity Zach, so when he starts paying attention to her, Olivia finds herself blowing off her friends Sam and Antonia. However, she soon finds herself on a self-destructive path that will have a steep price: her life.

I have to admit that this book is intense. I've never suffered from anything like bulimia, but Olivia's emotions still felt so real to me. Melissa de la Cruz is so descriptive and I loved how Olivia winds up getting help in the end. She learns that the real important thing is to love and accept yourself first.

Final Verdict: I would recommend this to fans of contemporary romance who like sensitive topics. Some parts had me cringing, but overall it was an interesting story with a good lesson.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Come November
It's not the end of the world, but for Rooney...

0.0 (0)
This Little Scientist: A Discovery Primer
Learn all about scientists who changed history in this engaging...

0.0 (0)
Corpse & Crown (Cadaver & Queen, #2)
Agatha DeLacey’s family isn’t rich or titled, so studying nursing...

0.0 (0)
TandT enhanced.jpg
Immersed in the historical background of the tenth century, this...

0.0 (0)
An Egg-Stra Special Easter
Happy Easter from the Beanie Boos! These furry friends are...

0.0 (0)
Jesus Loves Me
The Bible bb's share the Good News about Jesus using...

0.0 (0)
Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!
It’s Halloween and all the different creatures have come out...

0.0 (0)
The Itsy Bitsy School Bus
A fun and playful back-to-school twist on the popular nursery...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Hearts
Perfect for Valentine's Day or any day--search-and-find fun from bestselling...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Bunnies
This bestselling board book now has a shiny new holographic...

0.0 (0)
Peep, Peep, I Love You
An adorable lift-the-flap springtime and Easter story, full of sweet...

0.0 (0)
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die

"After finding an enormous treasure with his cousin Alex, Max's family has built a big new house and is enjoying..."
Max Tilt: Fire the Depths

"Max Tilt (short for Trujillo, as his father is Dominican. His mother is African American) is having a number of..."
The Curse of the King (Seven Wonders Book 4)

"For the love of all that is Greek, hold onto your hats as you break open the fourth installment to..."
The Tomb of Shadows (Seven Wonders #3)

"Jack, Cass and Aly have reason to believe that Jack's mother did not die falling into a crevasse on an..."
The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues #3)

"The first two books of the 39 Clues series were rather similar, which was great. They established the world of..."
The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders #1)

"Wow. That's pretty much how I was left feeling after this book. To say that it ends on a..."
The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders #1)

"Being the huge Rick Riordan fan that I am, I always feel this huge hole in my heart when I..."
The Viper's Nest (The 39 Clues #7)

"Reader reviewed by swimstar13 This book was okay. It wasn't the best book out of the series, in my opinion...."

"Reader reviewed by Emma If you are looking for a good mystery look no farther!! This book is about twins...."

"Reader reviewed by Rose Solving each clue is so much fun. This book keeps young children on the edge of..."
Hide and Seek (Spy-X #2)

"Reader reviewed by BKuGOTit The second of the good series is pretty good. It includes more new spy gadgets. Andrew..."
Batman Begins: The Junior Novel

"Ever wonder how Bruce Wayne became Batman, protector of Gotham City? In Batman Begins (the Junior Novel) young readers..."