Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Great Second Book in a Series

CHILDREN OF REFUGE is the second in a series by Margaret Peterson Haddix in which the main characters, Rosi and Edwy, have spent the first twelve years of their lives being fostered in Fredtown (along with the other children of Earth their age and younger) by Freds--a peace-loving community whose goal it is to raise the kids in their care to be non-violent, thoughtful, and sympathetic to others. The series starts as the children are being returned to their birth parents, and the first book, CHILDREN OF EXILE, which I reviewed here, http://www.yabookscentral.com/yafiction/22358-children-of-exile, chronicles Rosi's struggles to adapt as she returns to her parents in Cursed City. In CHILDREN OF REFUGE, Edwy is the narrator, and he has been relocated to Refuge City where he tries to adapt to life without parental supervision and with siblings that he didn't know existed until he was packed up to move into their home.

During his time in Fredtown, Edwy was always questioning the Freds and he was something of a troublemaker, but his brief time in Cursed City taught him that the Freds' way of living might not be worthy of the number of eye rolls he dished out. Edwy has also learned that the traits that caused trouble for him in Fredtown might be the very things that keep him and others alive as their world is turned up-side-down.

CHILDREN OF REFUGE continues the themes of peace and acceptance introduced in CHILDREN OF EXILE, and I found Edwy's perspective to be even more engrossing than Rosi's. The action in CHILDREN OF REFUGE is constant, and Edwy's persistence in seeking answers leads to a lot more revelations for the characters--and readers. As with the first in the series, CHILDREN OF REFUGE ends with a cliff-hanger, and the next book in the series cannot come fast enough! Haddix masterfully builds tension while telling Edwy's story in an approachable way that will have middle grade readers enthralled.

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my unbiased review.

Good Points
Constant action
Great second book in a series
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Blood Spell
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the...

0.0 (0)
Ogre Enchanted
In this prequel to Ella Enchanted, which can stand on...

0.0 (0)
Home and Away
Tasia Quirk is young, Black, and fabulous. She's a senior,...

0.0 (0)
Mirage
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire,...

0.0 (0)
Dactyl Hill Squad
It's 1863 and dinosaurs roam the streets of New York...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate Brighton...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara,...

0.0 (0)
People several generations ago talk about what they were doing...

5.0 (1)
The Storm Runner
Zane has always enjoyed exploring the dormant volcano near his...

0.0 (0)
Mother Tongue
On the day she brings her sweet little sister,...

0.0 (0)
After being scarred by an unimaginable lie, Erik commits...

0.0 (0)
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
"I'm here to take you to live with your...

0.0 (0)
safe_image.jpeg
Twins raised far from the darkness are the key...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A...

0.0 (0)
Kiss Collector
Seventeen-year-old Zae Monroe is over relationships. Between getting cheated...

0.0 (0)
The Disasters
Hotshot pilot Nax Hall has a history of making...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Louise Loves Bake Sales

"In this Level 1 "I Can Read" book, Louise and her brother Art decide to make and decorate cupcakes for..."
Paddington Collector's Quintet: 5 Fun-Filled Stories in 1 Box! (I Can Read Level 1)

"The PADDINGTON COLLECTOR'S QUINTET features five classic stories: Paddington Sets Sail, Paddington and the Magic Trick, Paddington Plays On, Paddington’s..."
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals

"In this "Grow and Read" level two early reader book, the characters from Nocturnals World meet each other. Bismark is..."
Fly Guy's Big Family (Fly Guy #17)

"Buzz wants to play, but Fly Guy is downcast and drawing pictures of his family. Buzz decides to host a..."
Luna and the Lost Shell (Fairy Hill #2)

"Luna, Ruby and May are back, and this time the glow globes that are to be used to illuminate the..."
See Fred Run

"'See Fred Run' by Kevin Bolger, and illustrated by Ben Hodson, is a story about main character Fred and his..."
Duck, Duck, Dinosaur: Bubble Blast (My First I Can Read)

"DUCK, DUCK, DINOSAUR features Spike the dinosaur and his two sibling birds, Feather and Flap. Feather, Flap, and Spike..."
Mrs. Moody and the Birthday Jinx

"Judy's mother's birthday never ends well. This year, Judy is determined to make her mother's birthday a success. She instructs..."
Dig, Dogs, Dig

"In this colorful book for emergent readers, a team of construction dogs gather their equipment and set out to build..."
Posy the Puppy (Dr. KittyCat #1)

"Dr. Kitty Cat and her assistant, Peanut the mouse, are seeing an upswing in the amount of patients showing up..."
The Berenstain Bears Are SuperBears! (I Can Read Level 1)

"The Berenstain Bears Are SuperBears is a timeless classic for all readers. As with the rest of the I Can..."
Lazy Bear, Crazy Bear: Loony Long Vowels

"This book is a vivid, colorful array of silly comics that each emphasize one of the long vowel sounds. Early..."
Gran on a Fan: Silly Short Vowels

"This lively collection of brightly illustrated comics does an excellent job of helping early readers nail down short vowel sounds...."
Little Elfie One

"LITTLE ELFIE ONE by Pamela Jane is a delightful tale that glows with the happiness of Christmas. It’s the North..."
Little Critter: Just a Teacher's Pet (My First I Can Read)

"The Little Critter books are probably some of my favorite early reader books. JUST A TEACHER’S PET by Mercer Mayer..."
Fancy Nancy: Super Secret Surprise Party

"As a teacher, I love using Fancy Nancy books to teach new vocabulary words. The beginning reader format of..."
Stink Moody in Master of Disaster (Judy Moody & Friends)

"The books in this early reader series featuring characters from the Judy Moody books are set up very much like..."
Amy Namey in Ace Reporter (Judy Moody and Friends #3)

"Amy wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and write insightful newspaper articles. To this end, she and Judy hold..."
The Big Bad Blackout (Judy Moody & Stink #3)

N/A
"My 8 year old LOVED this book. While a few of the shorter stories the kids told scared him,..."
Monkey and Elephant Go Gadding

"First of all can I just say how bright and amazing the illustrations are?! Seriously. Every page is..."