No Sad Songs Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: February 22, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Heartbreaking But Also Uplifting Tale About Alzheimer's Disease

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read No Sad Song's synopsis was: this sounds familiar. It's not that I have lived the same experience as the main character, but I found his situation to be relatable to my own with one of my grandparents, which made the read all the more intriguing for me.

The main character of this novel, Gabe LoScuda, finds himself with the difficult task of taking care of his Grandfather who has Alzheimer's, after his parents die in a car accident. Trying to keep the promise he made to his Dad, Gabe swears that no matter how difficult things might get, he will never abandon his grandfather to a facility where he would have to carry his last days alone.

First of all, I cannot get over the fact that Gabe is only 18 and already has such a huge responsibility on his shoulders. His grandfather is a war veteran, and while his mind is not as it used to be, his body still remembers his warring days, making it extremely difficult for Gabe to keep up with him. I felt for him, for every punch and tantrum he took on behalf of his grandfather. I admired his willingness to help him and to keep what little of the family he had left together, including the long lost uncle who showed up at his parent's funeral.

However, Gabe is still a young person with too much on his plate, and some of his decisions lead him to more trouble for the sake of keeping his grandfather close. I understand the sentiment, but when you can't control everything, it's okay to reach out for help. At least when it comes to mental health!

Luckily, Gabe has supporting friends, like John and Sofia, who have his back. I liked this pair of friends! They were good allies with sound advice, and that's something I will always appreciate in books. I specially liked Sofia because she's Mexican. :)

Also, in-between chapters we get to read Gabe's journal entries where he describes moments in the past about his parents when they were alive, and when his Grandfather had yet to develop Alzheimer's. They were interesting bits that worked as a small, happy respite from Gabe's current situation, but they would always end with a tint of melancholy. Still, they may have been my favorite parts of the story!

What didn't do it for me:

This was perhaps a mistake from the ARC or lack of research, but Sofia mentions how she has a tattoo of the Virgen of Guadalupe, who is the Mexican Virgin Mary. It is described that she is wearing a purple robe, when in fact, the Virgen of Guadalupe wears green robes. They are NOT interchangeable and, well, it bugs me that she wasn't described like how she truly is. I believe the Virgin described was the Immaculate Conception Virgin Mary.

Final Verdict:

No Sad Songs is a heartbreaking tale about dealing with Alzheimer's Disease in the family and keeping your loved ones close as much as you can. It brings awareness of what it means to be a caregiver to a person with this disease, and it is truly something very much needed. It's a book definitely worth to pass around so others can understand the struggle!

Good Points
Brings awareness to Alzheimer's Disease
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Caged Queen
Kristen Ciccarelli’s distinct brand of lyrical, haunting fantasy continues in...

0.0 (0)
Someday
Every day a new body. Every day a new life....

0.0 (0)
#1 Bestseller on Kobo and Category Bestseller on Amazon! ...

4.7 (3)
What if you were the missing piece in one of...

0.0 (0)
The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day
Kristy's mom is getting married, and Kristy is going to...

0.0 (0)
The Very Last Castle
A curious little girl watches the man who guards the...

0.0 (0)
Jack B. Ninja
Jack B. Ninja! Jack, be quick! Jack, jump over the...

0.0 (0)
Emerge: The Assignment: An Immortals of Indriell Novella
She has devoted her life to training with the...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans...

0.0 (0)
Freak N Gorgeous
Everyone is ugly sometimes. In a world not unlike...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously...

0.0 (0)
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)
Death. Sacrifice. Betrayal. That is your curse. The seer's...

0.0 (0)
The Forest Queen
When sixteen-year-old Sylvie’s brother takes over management of their family’s...

0.0 (0)
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)
There's a storm coming! The other WellieWishers promise to help...

0.0 (0)
Afterimage
A horrific explosion levels part of the city and...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Caged Queen

"The Caged Queen is the sister novel to The Last Namsara, which I absolutely adored - it has everything I..."
A Single Shard

"Tree-ear is a orphaned boy who leaves with his homeless friend crane-man under a bridge, tree-ear has always been fascinated..."
A Shadow Bright and Burning

"If you go into this thinking it's another "chosen one" prophecy trope, it's actually much more than that! I was..."
Three Dark Crowns

"I really enjoyed a lot of this book. But the title is legit, it's dark. Why? Because you have 16..."
Someday

"Everyday A jumps into another body. Each day is different. Along the way he encountered Rhiannon and they fall in..."
We Regret To Inform You

"Mischa is the perfect high school student. She has joined all the right clubs, she has the best grades, and..."
The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day

"'The Baby-Sitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day' by Gale Galligan, based on the novel by Ann M. Martin, is an interesting..."
The Darkest Minds

""The Darkest Minds" is a YA dystopian that felt very similar to others out there- but the twist being a..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
The Darkest Legacy

""The Darkest Legacy" continues The Darkest Minds series after the resolutions of the trilogy. This time, we follow Suzume (Zu)...."
Exo
Exo

""Exo" is a really interesting YA sci-fi that follows a 17-year-old human a hundred years after Earth has been taken..."
Cross Fire

""Cross Fire" was a great sequel to Exo that wraps up all the major plotlines and possibilities. The zhree, an..."
Everything, Everything

""Everything, Everything" follows Madeline, who lives in a bubble- she has a rare disease called SCID, which means she is..."
Eleanor & Park

""Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian..."
Warcross

""Warcross" begins a fantastic new YA series from Marie Lu. Fans of the Legend trilogy will rejoice in this new,..."
Freak N Gorgeous

"'Freak N Gorgeous' by Sebastian J. Plata provides an in-depth and telling look into the world of two teenagers who..."
The Forest Queen

"THE FOREST QUEEN by Betsy Cornwell caught my eye at first glance. The cover is beautiful and promises a tale..."
Twice Dead

"Feedback I absolutely loved this story! This book was never boring and always kept me wanting more. The beginning..."
Turtles All the Way Down

"Great book - one of my favorites by John Green, for sure."
Wink Poppy Midnight

"Definitely worth the read! A fun book even though it has some creepier turns, and loved Tucholke's writing style!..."