Review Detail

The 11:11 Wish Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Magic in Real Life

'The 11:11 Wish' by Kim Tomsic basks in the power of the unthinkable, yet totally imaginable. Every young person (and adult, for that matter) has moments when they wish that things could go their way, even if just for a little while, to make the universe seem right and in order with what they feel will give them happiness. So it is for Megan Meyers as she finds herself worried about whether she will fit in at her new school after a move and a big change in her family.

Along with her dad and her sister, who provide just the right amount of empathy and care, even though they don't always know what's going on with her, Megan works to fit in at Saguaro Prep. This is made all that much more difficult when she unwittingly finds herself smack in the middle of a power struggle for Spirit Captain between two of the more popular girls in school, Ally and Rhena. While Ally befriends Megan and makes her feel like she isn't alone, Rhena tacks on a lot of phony kindness of her own, showing her true colors, yet at the same time causing Megan to question herself about how she wants to fit in at her new school and what the best way to do that is - even if it's not necessarily what would be considered the "right" way to go about it.

Between her love of animals and her crush on a guy she's just met but feels connected to, Megan has a lot going on as the school year begins. When she wishes on a clock in the shape of a cat in one of her classrooms, life takes some crazy turns, bringing magic and mystery to everything Megan desperately longs for but thinks she can't have without wishing for it.

Even though the fantasy aspects of the story were beyond the realm of reality, the underlying themes of figuring out one's own way of fitting in, learning how not to care what others think, and keeping a promise to oneself that might include owning one's own voice and not letting others speak on one's behalf are all incredibly relevant themes for young people nowadays. Tomsic has crafted a strikingly real world with a magical touch always surrounding it. It shows that wishes can come true, and maybe sometimes even through one's own means.

Good Points
The underlying themes of figuring out one's own way of fitting in, learning how not to care what others think, and keeping a promise to oneself that might include owning one's own voice and not letting others speak on one's behalf are all incredibly relevant themes for young people nowadays. Tomsic has crafted a strikingly real world with a magical touch always surrounding it. It shows that wishes can come true, and maybe sometimes even through one's own means.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

#1 Bestseller on Kobo and Category Bestseller on Amazon! ...

4.8 (1)
What if you were the missing piece in one of...

0.0 (0)
The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day
Kristy's mom is getting married, and Kristy is going to...

0.0 (0)
The Very Last Castle
A curious little girl watches the man who guards the...

0.0 (0)
Jack B. Ninja
Jack B. Ninja! Jack, be quick! Jack, jump over the...

0.0 (0)
Emerge: The Assignment: An Immortals of Indriell Novella
She has devoted her life to training with the...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans...

0.0 (0)
Freak N Gorgeous
Everyone is ugly sometimes. In a world not unlike...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously...

0.0 (0)
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)
Death. Sacrifice. Betrayal. That is your curse. The seer's...

0.0 (0)
The Forest Queen
When sixteen-year-old Sylvie’s brother takes over management of their family’s...

0.0 (0)
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)
There's a storm coming! The other WellieWishers promise to help...

0.0 (0)
Afterimage
A horrific explosion levels part of the city and...

0.0 (0)
Death in daylight. Danger at dark. ...

0.0 (0)
The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries #1-2)

" Now "The Vampire Diaries" is one of my favorite tv shows. I recently was..."
The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1)

"This novel gave an exciting plot with interesting characters making it very enjoyable."
The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries: The Compelled (#6)

N/A
"this book is not written (The whole series is no longer written) by L. J. Smith. it was written a..."

"This is the only book in the Vampire Diaries Series that I didn't like. To me it felt forced, as..."
The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries: The Ripper (#4)

"I thought this book would never end... I mean the story was okay but it seemed like they were forcing..."

"Hi Guys, I know I didn't do a book review last week, so this week I will do two. Thank..."

"Hi Guys, This week, I'm getting the second book in the Chronicles of Nick series, Invincible, I also plan on..."

"Reader reviewed by Kayleah. Night world 1It is a good book. Somewhat confusing but you'll understand it all eventually...."
Dark Visions: The Strange Power / The Possessed / The Passion (Dark Visions #1-3)

"Reader reviewed by Amanda Wade There's the ice princess witch, the love-all beast tamer, the goofy tech-nerd, the healing golden..."

"Reader reviewed by Ruthie Review for the Awakening: This was actually an alright vampire romance book. I didn't..."

"Reader reviewed by [email protected] Night world book # 1 is the best boo k ever when I began reading it..."

"Reader reviewed by Ruthie This was actually an alright vampire romance book. I didn't expect to like it in..."

"Reader reviewed by red it's a page turner .. i just can't put the book down ! of all..."

"Reader reviewed by Lexi so, i only had the first of the three books in this book/series, but it was..."
Dark Visions: The Strange Power / The Possessed / The Passion (Dark Visions #1-3)

"Reader reviewed by Ruthie This book was extraordinary! The writing was fantastic. I was completely draw in since page one...."

"Reader reviewed by Maria M. July 11, 2010 -  Even though they go through alot of difficulty in the end..."

"Reader reviewed by Sammy I thought the book was pretty good! I thought the first story in the Night World,..."

"Reader reviewed by elena Well I thought that the vampire diaries was amazing it's full of romance and thrill and..."

"Reader reviewed by HoopsStar27 Vampires, werewolves, witches and shapeshifters- they live among us without our knowledge.  Night World is a..."

"Reader reviewed by Jamie This trilogy  is about a girl named Kaitlyn Fairchild  who is an outsider at her school because..."