Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Beautiful Book

Alice Nightingale is broken. It's been three years since the horrific act that left her under the "spell of twelveness"--a head injury that doctors said would leave her forever twelve-years-old with (as Alice says) "messed up electrics" that cause her to have seizures when she's under too much stress. Alice's father is dead, and her mother left before Alice's injury to pursue her dream of being a musician. Alice and her younger brother, Joey, live in poverty with their grandmother in a condemned house on stilts near a river.

Alice's brokenness has paved the way for her gifts. Her voice doesn't work well, and although words start off making sense in her head, they don't come out of her mouth the way she plans. To put all of her thoughts out into the world, Alice writes little poems and leaves them around her town. Alice explains why she writes them: "saywords come/slow and slurred/sound stupid/but heartwords fly/from my pen."

Manny James has lost his family to the war in Sierra Leone, and he thinks that he is broken, too. Manny was forced to participate in the war as a child, and the memories of acts seen and committed haunt him--so he runs around the town that has adopted him in an effort to escape his thoughts. His wanderings lead him to Alice and her poems, and the two begin a friendship that could be the key to healing for both of them, although there's danger in their relationship, too.

Alice and Manny are two incredible souls, and their story is filled with pain and beauty. THE STARS AT OKTOBER BEND is told in both of their voices, though Alice's words are the ones that made me linger on each page. It took me a few chapters to fall into the rhythm of the book, but once I did, I had to deal with competing urges: I wanted to rush through to the end to see the outcome, but I wanted to pause after every one of Alice's descriptions and drink in her words.

Glenda Millard has written an unforgettable story of two teens dealing with pain that no one should have to endure. THE STARS AT OKTOBER BEND is more than a book; it's a gift to the reader, and I highly recommend it. My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

Good Points
Simple but powerful poetry tied to the narrative
Unforgettable characters
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

What the Night Sings
For fans of The Book Thief and The Boy in...

0.0 (0)
In the first book of this new series, Sage Stone...

0.0 (0)
Bright Burns the Night
Ten years ago, King Lorcan of the Dark Kingdom...

0.0 (0)
The Edge of Juniper
Malcolm Dearing is sweet, gorgeous, persistent...and off-limits. Fay is...

0.0 (0)
Marked Beauty
Uncovering hidden secrets can sometimes kill you . ....

0.0 (0)
Listen to Your Heart
Kasie West brings us another compelling read with “Listen...

5.0 (1)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until...

0.0 (0)
And She Was
Dara’s lived a sheltered life with her single mom,...

0.0 (0)
The God Gene Chronicles: The Secret of the Gods
Legend and lore lay the foundation for this exciting new...

0.0 (0)
Big Water
Seventeen-year-old Christina McBurney has led a sheltered life. But when...

0.0 (0)
Two schools: One of magic and science, the other focused...

0.0 (0)
The Kidult Handbook: From Blanket Forts to Capture the Flag, a Grownup's Guide to Playing Like a Kid
Adulting is hard! But “kidulting”— engaging in nostalgic childhood activities...

0.0 (0)
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World
Did you know that the blue whale could blow up...

0.0 (0)
Meant To Be Broken
Rayne Davidson is perfectly happy fading into the background. Her...

5.0 (3)
Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)
Finding-Elora.jpg
High school’s a whole new ballgame. Elora used...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

What the Night Sings

"Gerta Rausch didn’t know she was Jewish until she and her father were taken from their home in the middle..."
Zombie Queen of Newbury High

"This book was probably the best book I have ever read. I loved the end so much I wished there..."
Switching Gears

"Lucas Nelson loved Emmy Martin, but he waited until a week before he died of cancer to tell her that...."
Sky in the Deep

"What worked: This is a highly engaging historical tale of a teen warrior who is taken by a rival clan..."
We Are All That's Left

" Zara feels shut off from her Bosnian born mother. She knows that her mother survived some..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"Seriously, is it possible to read this book without crying? Asking for allllllll offffff myyyyyyy friiiiiiiiiends."
Frat Girl

"The writing style is what really stands out in this book-- SO easy to read, conversational, believable character interactions. It..."
Original Syn

"Got an ARC of this one and flew through it. So so good."
What I Leave Behind

"Will’s dad commits suicide. His childhood friend, Playa, is raped at a party. His mom works long over-night shifts as..."
All The Crooked Saints

"Trust me when I say no one was more stunned than me when I enjoyed All the Crooked Saints. ..."
Legacy of Kings

"Legacy of Kings was not a bad book per se, but I found it a confusing, frequently boring one. Perhaps..."
Dare Mighty Things

"Dare Mighty Things is an extraordinary debut that features an Indian-American asexual protagonist in the fight of her life for..."
Tempests and Slaughter

"I am a terrible fantasy fan. Why? Because I’ve never read a novel by Tamora Pierce. I am definitely..."
Nimona

"Oh my gosh!!!!!!! This is the cutest graphic novel I have read in a long time! Cute and entertaining and..."
The Night Circus

"The Night Circus was an enchanting, mind-boggling story that enraptured me. It was confusing, lovely, frightening, elusive, all at once...."
Sky in the Deep

"If you’re looking for an action-packed novel with a fierce female main character who is multifaceted, and the text is..."
Life in Outer Space

"Life in Outer Space is one of the cutest and nerdiest books I’ve ever read. This contemporary quickly burrowed its..."
White Rabbit

"TW: sexual assault, rape, homophobia, descriptions of violence, murder, drug use. White Rabbit is going to be the..."
Queens of Geek

"Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde is the most adorkable novel I’ve read in a long while. The book is..."
The Tiger's Watch (Ashes of Gold #1)

"I’m in two minds about this novella. While there was a part of me that was intrigued by the general..."