Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Good series starter

This is a very good series introduction.

From the critical side, my first impression was that Rachel Carter broke one of the cardinal rules of naming lead characters--using one that could be hard to pronounce. "Ryiah" doesn't flow from the tongue. Perhaps it is just me, but I still don't know how to say it. The phrase "you guessed it" also made me cringe when it appeared outside a quotation, as I think she tried a bit too hard write like a 15 year old girl. I also would have liked to have seen more character development from the final grouping of successful individuals. It seemed that they were just names picked out of a hat at the end, with only one exception. However, it was only these relatively minor points and a few grammatical errors that kept this from getting a full five stars.

The plot is excellent, even if somewhat transparently obvious. Carter does a masterful job of creating a love-hate relationship and fostering the confusion between the two young leads. The dramatic effects of the grueling, life-altering pressure applied by their schooling is palpable. One can't help cheer on the accomplishments as they occur. The reader can also feel the tension develop right from the outset, and the increasing waves of ebb and flow add to the credibility of the ending.

The secondary plot line between Alex and Ella also works spectacularly, as both of the characters change just enough that their final exchange makes perfect sense.

The pacing flows perfectly, and I really couldn't put it down once I got to the last two chapters.

We learn enough of the worldview to get an introduction to the series, and because the only thing outside of "normal" pre-gunpowder earth is a bit of magic, Carter doesn't need to waste a lot of words setting the stage. I am sure we will learn about Jerar's history in subsequent novels, but more isn't needed in this introduction.

In summary, if you are looking for a quick-reading Young-Adult novel with just the right mix of conflict, teenage angst, arduous training and magic, go ahead and grab this one! Very likely you will be asking soon for book two!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Queen's Rising
Grave Mercy meets Red Queen in this epic debut fantasy,...

0.0 (0)
Game Change
Seventeen-year-old Zeb Holloway is happy to work in his...

0.0 (0)
Wilder Legacy
The life of a Guardian is a dangerous one,...

5.0 (1)
The Stars Beneath Our Feet
It’s Christmas Eve in Harlem, but twelve-year-old Lolly Rachpaul and...

0.0 (0)
Keeper - Matefinder Next Generation Book 1
Anya has inherited her mother's gift. Born in a...

0.0 (0)
Spies Like Me
Can she bring these girls together? When she discovers...

0.0 (0)
Royal Bastards
Being a bastard blows. Tilla would know. Her father,...

4.0 (2)
Before I Let Go
Days before Corey is to return home to the...

5.0 (1)
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends
From psychologist and children's friendships expert Eileen Kennedy-Moore and parenting...

0.0 (0)
Sword and Scion 01: Into the Dark Mountains
How lost one feels when his own character remains a...

4.9 (2)
The Pirates of Brisa (Wyrms of Pasandir #2)
When young Eskandar leaves his ship with the tough broomrider...

0.0 (0)
Building a Trade Empire (Wyrms of Pasandir #4)
Trade had been Shaw’s life, her dream, her future –...

0.0 (0)
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives
Books can change lives — and here are more than...

0.0 (0)
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals
In The Moonlight Meeting, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a...

0.0 (0)
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4
A group of veiled creatures--a chameleon, stick bugs and assorted...

0.0 (0)
In Sight of Stars
Seventeen-year-old Klee’s father was the center of his life. He...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Fallout

"What if the Cuban Missile Crisis had ended in a Soviet nuclear strike against the US? What if your..."

"A few popular kids in a rich high school disappeared. Is somebody out there set to make the rich and..."

"Str-S-d: Ill begin with Lucy. She is definitely first on the list. You cant believe how it feels to be..."

"Reader reviewed by Alisha In the Wave Mr. Ross starts a club with the students to communicate easier with each..."
Stolen Kisses, Secrets, and Lies (Mob Princess #2)

"Reader reviewed by bookworm Kate is so awesome. I love her character. She is so sweet. Randi really needs to..."

"Reader reviewed by Alexis I love this book. The Blessing and the Blatattrias Organizations are at it again. ..."

"Reader reviewed by lilponyrider4564 This book is about a teacher who conductes an experiment. This experiment is about how it..."

"Kate Blessing life as the daughter of a mob king continues in Mob Princess: Stolen Kisses, Secrets, and Lies. This..."
Impact Zone: Cut Back

"Reader reviewed by audo OH EM GEEE i loved this book i am a surfie and i love a good..."
How I Changed My Life

"Reader reviewed by Ruby After I finished this book, my adittude towards other people and myself changed. It was a..."
Impact Zone: Take Off

"Reader reviewed by KW Take Off, along with the rest of the series, was an amazing book. I couldn't help..."
Impact Zone: Cut Back

"Reader reviewed by KW This was another great book by Todd Strasser. It is the sequil to Impact Zone -..."

"Reader reviewed by kai the book is really interesting. it gives a more in sight to surfing ang surfers. the..."

"Reader reviewed by sara this book was a little funny but it was as good as the other ones like..."
Can't Get There from Here

"Reader reviewed by librariane Maybe is a street kidshes run away from an abusive homelife and is now part of..."

"Reader reviewed by Stephanie This book was funny. The main characters are Andy, Josh, Barry, Mrs. Rogers, Jake(narrator), and Principal..."

"Honestly, I didn't think I'd like this book much. I keep an open mind, but I am not a surfer,..."

"Reader reviewed by fleming Haunting at Home Plate was a great book. I personally thought it wasn't scary until..."

"Reader reviewed by Maria Kim There was one boy who was watching his brother playing baseball.He fell from high tree..."

"Reader reviewed by erik Haunting at Home Plate is a great book about a boy who loves baseball. The thing..."