Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Where You Left Us

Calla Devlin’s sophomore novel offers a look into what happens to those left behind after disaster.

The story begins with the poignant line, “My father specializes in devastation,” and from that point onward, readers are swept into Charlotte’s devastation. After her father leaves for the Ukraine following a deadly earthquake, Charlotte is forced to face her biggest fear: what if her father doesn’t come back home?

Throughout this story, Devlin expertly crafts a story filled with heartbreak, grief, friendship, first love, and what’s more: the redemptive power of love amidst loss. It becomes clear early on that Charlotte’s father has always been the anchor holding her and her mother together. After all, Charlotte wants to be a photo journalist just like her father, and holds a place on the school newspaper with the hopes of following in her father’s footsteps.

Without her father, Charlotte discovers her own creativity, and a pull toward a different kind of photography. Devlin uses this hobby to ground the reader in Charlotte’s every day life, while also characterizing her and her relationship with her father. Photography shapes the way Charlotte looks at the world, as well as the way she tells readers her story. But what proves most astounding, is just when the space between Charlotte and her father grows too wide, it acts as a force to rebuild a tumultuous mother-daughter relationship.

Too often in YA, parents are nonentities or antagonistic forces, but Charlotte’s parents are loving, fractured, somewhat dysfunctional, and absolutely authentic. And through the lens of Charlotte and her mother processing the possible disappearance of her father, more rich history finds its way to the page, including the reveal that Charlotte once had a sister who died and whose presence still haunts the vey people they’ve become since. There seems to be a conscious echo between the way Charlotte believes her mother must view her, and perhaps the way Charlotte might view her mother if her father doesn’t return home.

But instead of resentment and pain, there is a tenderness and all-consuming love that is exchanged between Charlotte and her mother.

In much the same way that photography shapes the world of this story, so too does baking and Russian folklore. Some of the most intricate and rich details of this world come from the items Charlotte’s mother creates in the downstairs bakery with Tatya Nadine, who also helps shape this fictional world into one, which feels authentic. Charlotte’s mother’s Russian heritage lends a lyricism and deeper mythos to this story, which only works to add other characters to this world, that though inhuman, feel just as real as any person.

While the bonds of family are tested within this novel, it becomes clear that they are not easily broken. The writing is beautiful, story all encompassing, and the fate of the characters is fulfilled. My only wish after spending so much time with Charlotte is for one more chapter. There are places I wanted to see, and adventures I wanted to live before leaving Charlotte behind.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden were...

0.0 (0)
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Pulitzer Prize-winning...

0.0 (0)
Begin a fantastic journey with our hero, the Warrior from...

0.0 (0)
Fairy Mom and Me
From the bestselling author of the Shopaholic series and the...

0.0 (0)
Picture Us in the Light
Danny Cheng has always known his parents have secrets. But...

0.0 (0)
Time Tracers
Twelve-year-old Taj Carter is on a high-stakes mission to track...

0.0 (0)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until her...

0.0 (0)
Better Together (Heartwood Hotel, #3)
Spring has come to Fernwood Forest, and the Heartwood Hotel...

0.0 (0)
Sky in the Deep
A 2018 Most Anticipated Young Adult book that is...

5.0 (1)
Devils Unto Dust
Keep together. Keep your eyes open. Keep your wits...

0.0 (0)
All The Things We Lost
After her mother’s death, eighteen-year-old Katie finds herself in...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another...

0.0 (0)
The Worst Fairy Godmother Ever!
Q: What do you need to become a great fairy...

0.0 (0)
Ada: Aegis Default
Newly famous and burdened with responsibility, Ada Anand has to...

0.0 (0)
Ada: Solstice Volition
When Ada Anand is given a very special gift for...

0.0 (0)
Drum Roll, Please
Find the confidence to rock out to your own beat...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Lord Garmadon, Evil Dad (The LEGO Ninjago Movie: Storybook)

"Ideal for beginning readers and avid young fans of the LEGO Ninjago Movie. Lord Gamadon is about as..."
Lion vs. Rabbit

"Lion is not very nice. He bullies the other animals, and they're all afraid to stand up to him. In..."
The Word Collector

"Jerome's hobby is words. He collects them. He classifies them. He loves them. One day, Jerome's collection is scattered, and..."
Free as a Bird: The Story of Malala

"Inarguably valuable—an inspirational and world-expanding children’s book. Having read I am Malala (the adult version of Malala Yousafzai’s memoir),..."
The Digger and the Flower

"'The Digger and the Flower' by Joseph Kuefler shows the power of goodness when everything else seems to be overtaking..."
Superbat

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a bat in a costume! Pat the bat is a..."
Plant the Tiny Seed

" This book relies on the interactive nature of read-alouds for young children. Beginning with a single zinnia seed, the..."
Blue vs. Yellow

"'Blue vs. Yellow' by Tom Sullivan focused on the creative ways in which those two colors can be used, along..."
Big and Little Are Best Friends

"Big and Little, an elephant and a mouse, are best friends. But their friendship isn't based on common interests. Big..."
Confiscated!

"'Confiscated' by Suzanne Kaufman tells the story of two dinosaur brothers who each want the same toys. When their mother..."
Flowers for Sarajevo

"Haunting and hopeful. The bombing one of the last working bakeries in the city of Sarajevo might have been..."
Gobi: A Little Dog with a Big Heart

"I don’t think I’ve ever read a dog story without either crying or grinning through it. GOBI: A LITTLE DOG..."
Plankton Is Pushy

"A quick and comical read, rife with sarcasm. A particular plankton is used to eliciting a response from every..."
Dill & Bizzy: Opposite Day

"'Dill & Bizzy Opposite Day' by Nora Ericson, illustrated by Lisa Ericson, is an adorable story about two best friends..."
Zebra on the Go

"ZEBRA ON THE GO was an overall well put together book. The rhyming had me hanging on each line. The..."
The Story of the Easter Bunny

"THE STORY OF THE EASTER BUNNY is a story I've never heard before. It tells about how the Easter Bunny..."
Shark Dog!

"SHARK DOG! is half-dog, half-shark, and 100 percent the main girl's friend. The main girl, whose name isn't mentioned,..."
The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors

"'The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors,' written by Drew Daywalt and illustrated by Adam Rex, is an enjoyable play on..."
The Thing Lou Couldn't Do

"The first thing that occurred to me when I read this book was how much I could relate to the..."
The Princess and the Frogs

"Princess Cassandra has dresses, books, and servants, but she doesn’t have a best friend. Fortunately she has servants to send..."