Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Where You Left Us

Calla Devlin’s sophomore novel offers a look into what happens to those left behind after disaster.

The story begins with the poignant line, “My father specializes in devastation,” and from that point onward, readers are swept into Charlotte’s devastation. After her father leaves for the Ukraine following a deadly earthquake, Charlotte is forced to face her biggest fear: what if her father doesn’t come back home?

Throughout this story, Devlin expertly crafts a story filled with heartbreak, grief, friendship, first love, and what’s more: the redemptive power of love amidst loss. It becomes clear early on that Charlotte’s father has always been the anchor holding her and her mother together. After all, Charlotte wants to be a photo journalist just like her father, and holds a place on the school newspaper with the hopes of following in her father’s footsteps.

Without her father, Charlotte discovers her own creativity, and a pull toward a different kind of photography. Devlin uses this hobby to ground the reader in Charlotte’s every day life, while also characterizing her and her relationship with her father. Photography shapes the way Charlotte looks at the world, as well as the way she tells readers her story. But what proves most astounding, is just when the space between Charlotte and her father grows too wide, it acts as a force to rebuild a tumultuous mother-daughter relationship.

Too often in YA, parents are nonentities or antagonistic forces, but Charlotte’s parents are loving, fractured, somewhat dysfunctional, and absolutely authentic. And through the lens of Charlotte and her mother processing the possible disappearance of her father, more rich history finds its way to the page, including the reveal that Charlotte once had a sister who died and whose presence still haunts the vey people they’ve become since. There seems to be a conscious echo between the way Charlotte believes her mother must view her, and perhaps the way Charlotte might view her mother if her father doesn’t return home.

But instead of resentment and pain, there is a tenderness and all-consuming love that is exchanged between Charlotte and her mother.

In much the same way that photography shapes the world of this story, so too does baking and Russian folklore. Some of the most intricate and rich details of this world come from the items Charlotte’s mother creates in the downstairs bakery with Tatya Nadine, who also helps shape this fictional world into one, which feels authentic. Charlotte’s mother’s Russian heritage lends a lyricism and deeper mythos to this story, which only works to add other characters to this world, that though inhuman, feel just as real as any person.

While the bonds of family are tested within this novel, it becomes clear that they are not easily broken. The writing is beautiful, story all encompassing, and the fate of the characters is fulfilled. My only wish after spending so much time with Charlotte is for one more chapter. There are places I wanted to see, and adventures I wanted to live before leaving Charlotte behind.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Come November
It's not the end of the world, but for Rooney...

0.0 (0)
This Little Scientist: A Discovery Primer
Learn all about scientists who changed history in this engaging...

0.0 (0)
Corpse & Crown (Cadaver & Queen, #2)
Agatha DeLacey’s family isn’t rich or titled, so studying nursing...

0.0 (0)
TandT enhanced.jpg
Immersed in the historical background of the tenth century, this...

0.0 (0)
An Egg-Stra Special Easter
Happy Easter from the Beanie Boos! These furry friends are...

0.0 (0)
Jesus Loves Me
The Bible bb's share the Good News about Jesus using...

0.0 (0)
Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!
It’s Halloween and all the different creatures have come out...

0.0 (0)
The Itsy Bitsy School Bus
A fun and playful back-to-school twist on the popular nursery...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Hearts
Perfect for Valentine's Day or any day--search-and-find fun from bestselling...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Bunnies
This bestselling board book now has a shiny new holographic...

0.0 (0)
Peep, Peep, I Love You
An adorable lift-the-flap springtime and Easter story, full of sweet...

0.0 (0)
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die

"After finding an enormous treasure with his cousin Alex, Max's family has built a big new house and is enjoying..."
Max Tilt: Fire the Depths

"Max Tilt (short for Trujillo, as his father is Dominican. His mother is African American) is having a number of..."
The Curse of the King (Seven Wonders Book 4)

"For the love of all that is Greek, hold onto your hats as you break open the fourth installment to..."
The Tomb of Shadows (Seven Wonders #3)

"Jack, Cass and Aly have reason to believe that Jack's mother did not die falling into a crevasse on an..."
The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues #3)

"The first two books of the 39 Clues series were rather similar, which was great. They established the world of..."
The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders #1)

"Wow. That's pretty much how I was left feeling after this book. To say that it ends on a..."
The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders #1)

"Being the huge Rick Riordan fan that I am, I always feel this huge hole in my heart when I..."
The Viper's Nest (The 39 Clues #7)

"Reader reviewed by swimstar13 This book was okay. It wasn't the best book out of the series, in my opinion...."

"Reader reviewed by Emma If you are looking for a good mystery look no farther!! This book is about twins...."

"Reader reviewed by Rose Solving each clue is so much fun. This book keeps young children on the edge of..."
Hide and Seek (Spy-X #2)

"Reader reviewed by BKuGOTit The second of the good series is pretty good. It includes more new spy gadgets. Andrew..."
Batman Begins: The Junior Novel

"Ever wonder how Bruce Wayne became Batman, protector of Gotham City? In Batman Begins (the Junior Novel) young readers..."