Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

An Addictive, Exciting Journey

Everything about this book is so glamorous, dramatic, and intriguing. Right down to that stunning cover.

Katharine McGee has created a book so exciting, it was nearly impossible to put it down. This fast-paced world filed with secrets and betrayals kept me turning the pages and wanting more.

I personally am a huge fan of multiple POVS, however in many cases this can make the story confusing or it holds the reader back from fully connecting to each character. McGee did not disappoint in this story. Each character was completely different from the next, each with their own complex personalities, issues and dreams. So even though the characters lived far into the future, there were parts of each of them that I could find extremely relatable.

Many people have been comparing this book to the Gossip Girl books and television series. I can definitely confirm that this is very true. With the similar NYC backdrop, the never ending drama, and the large cast of characters that are all intertwined- it is impossible not to see how similar they were. Nonetheless, I could not compare it to Gossip Girl if it had not been as addictive and interesting as the series/show. Just like Gossip Girl, this series was able to create an intriguing storyline due to our investment in the complicated lives of the characters.

What I think sets this book, and now series, apart from others is the diversity. As a POC, I greatly, greatly appreciate diversity- in all ways. This book takes place in Manhattan in 2118, decades into the future. It would only seem right to include a diverse cast with people of color, all types of sexual orientations, and those of different types of wealth.

I highly recommend this series! I can sense that this first book is only the beginning of an exciting journey.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account