Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Solid Retelling With A Good Anti-Heroine!

It took me a long time to finish Forest of a Thousand Lanterns, but overall, this book turned out to be a solid story. Julie C. Dao's writing is beautiful and poetic--the perfect voice for a tale such as this one!

What I Liked:

I love fairytale retellings and even more from the point of view of the future antagonist! Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is a retelling of The Evil Queen (Snow White) and I enjoyed when pieces of this enigmatic figure came up at certain points in the story. Xifeng, the main character, battles with herself for the most part of the story, torn between wanting a simple life with the man she loves (or thinks she loves) to the life of an Empress she believes she is destined to have. Choosing to follow what she believes is her fate, she becomes ruthless and even eats the hearts of those that stand in her way, believing she is doing them a favor to live on within her.

Xifeng is not the most likeable character (for obvious reasons), but she has a certain charm. It's not often when I get to read books with an anti-heroine and I do like them a lot. It's entertaining to read how their minds work, how they transform and change throughout the novel from good to bad and vice-versa, just like Xifeng does in this story. Can't say I root for her, but I certainly want to see how far she goes.

However, I can say that I fell more for her traveling companions and Wei, her small-town lover. If there's one character I wish to read more about is him! He's not a perfect person, but he certainly fought for Xifeng, believing he could get her free from her aunt's clutches, not knowing he's also fighting Xifeng's own desires.

What Left Me Wanting More:

Although Julie C. Dao's writing is beautiful and lyrical (could probably lose myself in her vivid descriptions), this book left me wanting more dialogue and action. More showing rather than telling. Xifeng's thoughts were interesting, but there came a time when it got too repetitive and made it harder for me to keep reading and not pick up another read.

With the above in mind, there were also some secrets revealed within this book without any form of reaction from Xifeng or other characters, which in turn made it duller for me as a reader. Perhaps this is a reflection of Xifeng's emotional state, but I do wish to have seen a bit of internal conflict. Especially with Guma, her aunt.

Final Verdict:

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is a nice retelling about the Evil Queen and her rise to the throne before facing Snow-White. It is set in East Asia so there's beautifully imagery involved, but I do wish we could have explored more of it. There's always the sequel though!

Good Points
Beautiful Prose
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Belles
Camellia Beauregard is a Belle. In the opulent world of...

0.0 (0)
Free as a Bird: The Story of Malala
The inspiring true story of Malala Yousafzai, human rights activist...

0.0 (0)
The Queen's Rising
Grave Mercy meets Red Queen in this epic debut fantasy,...

0.0 (0)
Game Change
Seventeen-year-old Zeb Holloway is happy to work in his...

0.0 (0)
Wilder Legacy
The life of a Guardian is a dangerous one,...

5.0 (1)
The Stars Beneath Our Feet
It’s Christmas Eve in Harlem, but twelve-year-old Lolly Rachpaul and...

0.0 (0)
Keeper - Matefinder Next Generation Book 1
Anya has inherited her mother's gift. Born in a...

0.0 (0)
Spies Like Me
Can she bring these girls together? When she discovers...

0.0 (0)
Royal Bastards
Being a bastard blows. Tilla would know. Her father,...

4.0 (2)
Before I Let Go
Days before Corey is to return home to the...

5.0 (1)
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends
From psychologist and children's friendships expert Eileen Kennedy-Moore and parenting...

0.0 (0)
Sword and Scion 01: Into the Dark Mountains
How lost one feels when his own character remains a...

4.9 (2)
The Pirates of Brisa (Wyrms of Pasandir #2)
When young Eskandar leaves his ship with the tough broomrider...

0.0 (0)
Building a Trade Empire (Wyrms of Pasandir #4)
Trade had been Shaw’s life, her dream, her future –...

0.0 (0)
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives
Books can change lives — and here are more than...

0.0 (0)
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals
In The Moonlight Meeting, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Fall of Lisa Bellow

"I received a copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This book came..."
Absolute Brightness

Karen Klein
" I think there were many side tangents that were not important to the story and just didn’t seem to..."
Traitor Angels

"I absolutely loved Anne Blankman’s Prisoner of Night and Fog duology so I was really excited to start a new..."
Traitor Angels

"Full disclaimer: I am a huge fan of Milton and Paradise Lost ever since college. So this was a big..."
the thing with feathers

"[Reviewed by Jessyca Garcia for Readers' Favorite] I really enjoyed reading The Thing with Feathers by Anne Sweazy-Kulju. This..."
I Crawl Through It

"I CRAWL THROUGH IT is the weirdest book I've ever read. Period. Reminiscent of Haruki Murakami's singly unique style, King..."
Dragonflies in the Cowburbs

"A very enjoyable read! This book is both a novella and a collection of short stories. The stories are inter-related..."

"How can you write a novel about recovering from mental illness and a few weeks later kill yourself? It's very..."
A Sliver of Hope

"The story A Sliver of Hope is a story about losing people you love and finding the courage and..."
The Lovely Bones

"A story of a child murder and rape narrated by the victim, Susie Salmon, a 14 year old girl, from..."
Impulse (Impulse #1)

"Can you ever really get over pain…loss…love? Three teens have their fair share of issues, but can they find redemption..."
Breaking Point

N/A
"I liked reading breaking point. I think that Alex Flynn paints an amazing story with her words. I liked the..."
A Sliver of Hope

"I highly recommend this book and if you love it--you will want to read her first novel "Always and Forever"...."
Impulse (Impulse #1)

N/A
" Three teens, sharing only the..."
An Uncommon Education

"What I Loved: For once, I actually think the books they make comparisons to in the blurb are right on..."
Impulse (Impulse #1)

"This is a great read for anyone who has read any of her other books."
Impulse (Impulse #1)

"If you have read anything by Ellen Hopkins, you likely know to expect a novel told in verse. When..."
Under The Mesquite

"As the oldest of eight children, sixteen-year-old Lupita has a lot of responsibilities, but never resents it because her loving..."
Breaking Point

"I read this book because I had read Beastly by the same author. That was a great book and thats..."
Ugly To Start With

" Reviewed by Niles Reddick On the heels of..."