Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Unique Characters

In ON A LARP, Sid is known to be a hacker after a past school prank, and she's a good one at that. When she's enlisted to help the detectives solve a murder, the geeky side of her comes out. She thinks the murder happened while on a LARP.

For those who don't know, LARP is a live action role playing game. They have to find the game master (creator of the game) before their questions can be answered. Sid soon finds herself draw into a LARP and the danger becomes more real the closer she gets to an answer.

ON A LARP is full of mystery and nerdy-ness. At times, it felt like the main character was ranting and it slowed the pace of the story so it was a little difficult to get into at first. But once it picked up, it draws you in. I loved Sid's quirky and unique character and I loved the incorporation of LARP because you don't see it very often in YA books.

Final Verdict: I recommend this to fans of murder mysteries, cosplay, and hacking.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Princess Breeze
For months, Breeze Brannigan has heard nothing from Cam,...

0.0 (0)
The Unlikelies
One good deed will change everything. Sadie is not...

0.0 (0)
Roar (Stormheart #1)
New York Times bestselling author Cora Carmack's young adult...

0.0 (0)
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
An East Asian fantasy reimagining of The Evil Queen...

0.0 (0)
Thief's Cunning
Allegra Saldana has always had to look over her...

0.0 (0)
You're Weird: A Creative Journal for Misfits, Oddballs, and Anyone Else Who's Uniquely Awesome
Part journal, part activity book, and all fun, You're...

0.0 (0)
My Weird School Fast Facts: Explorers, Presidents, and Toilets
Think fast with A.J. and Andrea from My Weird School!...

0.0 (0)
My Weird School Fast Facts: Space, Humans, and Farts
Think fast with A.J. and Andrea from My Weird School!...

0.0 (0)
ALEX HUNT and the Chase for Rhapta
I am Alex Hunt, daughter of the famous Archaeological Hunt...

0.0 (0)
The Barnacle Chronicles: The Search for Dark Matter
Twelve-year-old Simon Barnacle is falling apart. Literally. His body is...

0.0 (0)
Serafina and the Splintered Heart
The storms are coming... Something has happened to Serafina. She...

5.0 (1)
The Little Book of Little Activists
A celebration of political activism by America's youngest citizens--our children....

0.0 (0)
Together at Midnight
What does it really mean to be kind . ....

0.0 (0)
Fuecho Y Pablo
Pablo's attempt to get his best friend Ugly Cat a...

0.0 (0)
Little i
A charming, suspenseful, and wholly original picture book about the...

0.0 (0)
Dragonfly Song
The girl has had many selves in her short life....

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

This is My Dollhouse

"A young girl has a lot of fun constructing a dollhouse out of cardboard, and cobbling together the family and..."
You Never Heard of Casey Stengel?!

N/A
"In this lengthy picture book, the life and times of the inimitable Stengel is given complete coverage. From his less..."
Rosie Goes to Preschool

"Our family are big fans of Karen Katz so I jumped at the chance to review her latest book. It..."
Rufus the Writer

"Rufus doesn’t want to have a typical lemonade stand. Instead, he’s decided to make a story stand, giving out stories..."
Deep in the Sahara

"I truly enjoyed this book, not just because of the lovely illustrations, depicting the colorful and mysterious ways women in..."
Dream Dog

"DREAM DOG is the story of a little boy named Harry who desperately wants a dog. Harry cannot have a..."
Sparky!

""Sparky is a sloth. A pet sloth. And sloths don't know how to fetch. Or roll over. But they sure..."
The Girl Who Wouldn't Brush Her Hair

"This warm, captivating tale will capture the hearts of young readers. My preschooler was fully engaged in the story, though..."
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night

"I was first introduced to Alvin Ho when it was a nominated Cybils book. I totally loved him! So..."
Bluebird

"There are so many lessons to be learned in the pages of Bluebird from bullying, loneliness, dealing with loss and..."
The Mighty Lalouche

"The story of a postman-turned-boxer in turn of the century Paris is brought beautifully to life with gorgeous illustrations that..."
Want to Be in a Band?

"I have been surprised by how much my little girls love this book! Written in a form directly addressing the..."
The Longest Night: A Passover Story

"Ever since I first learned of the story of the Passover (much later than most--at age 19!) I have been..."
Duck & Goose: Goose Needs a Hug

"We actually own a few other 'Duck & Goose' books in my home, so this book was welcomed with great..."
Lemonade in Winter

"This book is so adorable. Siblings Pauline and John-John decide to have a lemonade stand during a snow blizzard...."
Annie and Helen

"Within a few minutes of starting this book, I was in tears. Remembering the inspiring story of Helen Keller I..."
Who Pushed Humpty Dumpty?: And Other Notorious Nursery Tale Mysteries

"Told from the perspective of Mr Binky, a detective/policefrog, this book features 5 classic fairy tales which get a reworking..."
Mario Makes a Move

"Mario is a squirrel who prides himself on his "amazing" moves--but when his friend Isabelle is not impressed, and even..."
Cecil the Pet Glacier

"Ruby Small just wants to be a normal kid, but how can she be normal when she has such strange..."
The Little Woods

"Templeman’s The little woods is slow in action but lovely to read. I mean, it is cataloged as a thriller..."