Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A thrilling mystery

Rufus just wants one day of semi-fun, something he hasn’t had since his ex-boyfriend, Sebastian, wrecked his heart. But then, Rufus gets a call from his sister, April, saying she needs help, right at the time Sebastian finds him and asks to talk. Sebastian and Rufus rush to find April, but when they do, they get a shock: April is covered in blood with a knife in her hand and the body of her boyfriend, Fox, dead beside her. April promises them she didn’t do it and doesn’t know what happened. They strike a bargain to clear her name, and suddenly, Rufus is back in the company of his ex with a murder to solve…and all he wanted was a nice party on the Fourth of July.

WHITE RABBIT is already one of my top 2018 reads. The pace enters a break neck speed from the first page and doesn’t stop until the end. The whole story takes place in only a number of hours or a couple of days, and each second is used masterfully. The mystery plot has a fantastic build, and though I eventually suspected the right person, there were still plenty of twists and turns that left me gasping in surprise.

As well done as the mystery is, the personal relationships might even top that as my favorite part of the novel. Rufus and Sebastian’s relationship is filled with great romantic tension, and Rufus is immediately relatable in the beginning of the novel as a character who is struggling to get over a break up and just wants some peace and quiet. I also love the dynamic between Rufus and his family. He and his mom are close, which partially motivates him to help April out, as she offers much needed money for him in exchange. Moreover, April is a strong secondary character, equally frustrating and surprisingly kind at different moments.

Caleb Roehrig’s latest continues to support his status as a must-read author. WHITE RABBIT is a thrilling mystery with breathless pacing, swoony romance, and an incredible adventure.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends
From psychologist and children's friendships expert Eileen Kennedy-Moore and parenting...

0.0 (0)
Sword and Scion 01: Into the Dark Mountains
How lost one feels when his own character remains a...

0.0 (0)
The Pirates of Brisa (Wyrms of Pasandir #2)
When young Eskandar leaves his ship with the tough broomrider...

0.0 (0)
Building a Trade Empire (Wyrms of Pasandir #4)
Trade had been Shaw’s life, her dream, her future –...

0.0 (0)
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives
Books can change lives — and here are more than...

0.0 (0)
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals
In The Moonlight Meeting, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a...

0.0 (0)
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4
A group of veiled creatures--a chameleon, stick bugs and assorted...

0.0 (0)
In Sight of Stars
Seventeen-year-old Klee’s father was the center of his life. He...

0.0 (0)
The Bokkaners of the North (Wyrms of Pasandir #3)
Against all odds, Eskandar and his bunch of ragtag youngsters...

0.0 (0)
The Road to Kalbakar (Wyrms of Pasandir #1)
Seventeen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Air and Ash (TIDES Book 1)
Master and Commander meets Sarah J Maas in a...

0.0 (0)
The Wolf Hour
Welcome, my little lambs, to the Puszcza. It's an...

0.0 (0)
The Dragon Orb
The fate of a kingdom rests on the shoulders...

0.0 (0)
Fragile Chaos
A GOD OF WAR SEEKING RESTORATION. AN UNWILLING SACRIFICIAL...

0.0 (0)
Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons #2)
Before he was Batman, he was Bruce Wayne. A...

0.0 (0)
Nice Try, Jane Sinner
The only thing 17-year-old Jane Sinner hates more than...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends

"Utilizing plain language and a kid-friendly presentation, Growing Friendships examines and addresses a wide range of socially detrimental issues such..."
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)

"Writing: 4.5 Story: 5 Character Development: 4.5 Cover: 5 Editing: 4.5 This book is a rare gem. You know,..."
Joshua and the Magical Forest

"Reviewed for YA Books Central An enchanting fantasy. The story: Joshua thinks his father is dead. He's been..."
Ghosts of Bliss Bayou

"Captivating story, smooth writing style, well executed."
Uglies (Uglies #1)

"I loved how different this book was to most that I have read. The plot and the story line are..."
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)

"I went into this book with a pretty vague idea of what it was about-a sci-fi novel revolving around a..."
Wicked (A Wicked Saga #1)

"I read a TON of fae fiction and A WICKED TRILOGY by Jennifer L. Armentrout is so hilarious and refershing...."
Elements (The Biodome Chronicles #2)

"Where do I begin?! I love Legacy. I was immediately sucked into the world and characters and was more than..."
Moonburner

" "The moon cannot enslave the sun, nor make the day its mistress." I absolutely loved this dark yet..."
An Enchantment of Ravens

" This is one of the most beautifully written books I've read in a long, long while. I found myself..."
Bloodline (Forgotten Origins Trilogy #1)

"INFECTED began with a viral pandemic which turns the human body and mind into a host. Although I enjoyed the..."
The "Wonderful" Wizard of Futhermucking Oz

"Although highly irreverent throughout, what I loved most about Arabella is that she doesn't just go along with the social..."
The Secrets of Islayne

"The Secrets of Islayne by Kari Lynn West 4 out of 5 stars Summary Islayne is a..."
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives

"Journeys is a collection of letters from the “Letters About Literature” program sponsored by the Library of Congress Center for..."
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals

"In this "Grow and Read" level two early reader book, the characters from Nocturnals World meet each other. Bismark is..."
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4

"Dawn, a fox; Tobin, a pangolin; and Bismark, an energetic sugar glider are all friends who have adventures. When there..."
Ignite

"The story: Phoenyx Blake, a teenage girl, awakens in a locked dungeon with only a girl named Lily for..."
In Sight of Stars

"IN SIGHT OF STARS is Gae Polisner’s latest young adult novel. It’s a contemporary story that tackles mental health in..."
First Year (The Black Mage Book 1)

"This is a very good series introduction. From the critical side, my first impression was that Rachel Carter broke..."
Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons #2)

"I am in love! The DC Icon series is turning me into a fan of superheroes, and Marie Lu's take..."