Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A weird and magical novel

Anda lives on an island on Lake Superior. For most of the year, she’s there with her father, trying to play a role of a normal person. But when November comes, she can’t ignore her calling to create storms and sink ships, just like her mother and her sisters, already part of the water. Usually, she’s alone during November, her father taken leave to the main land, but this time, a boy named Hector is hiding on the island as well. Hector ran away from a terrible life to hide out until his 18th birthday. When the two meet, sparks fly, but nothing can stop the incoming storm.

Ever since the synopsis was released, I’ve been so excited for Lydia Kang’s THE NOVEMBER GIRL. From the gorgeous cover to the chill-inducing summary, this is a story unlike anything I’ve read before. The premise is completely fascinating. Anda is half-human, half-magical (for lack of a better term). It’s sort of a mixture of water/storm elemental magic and Ursula from The Little Mermaid. A large theme of this novel is what it means to have two different parts of yourself and how isolating that can sometimes feel when people around you expect you to be (or choose) one side or the other.

While the plot drags a little at parts, the slow build up between Hector and Anda is lovely. They come from two different worlds, but they have so much in common. Their relationship is a nice mixture of sweetness, angst, sexual tension, and a few solid comic relief moments. Kang does a phenomenal job of making their stakes seem impossible to overcome, and you’ll be flipping the pages as fast as possible towards the end to see if they can overcome them or not.

THE NOVEMBER GIRL is a weird (in the best way), magical novel that sings with romance, heartache, and the difficult journey of making your own path.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Kai's summer changes when she gets a summer internship at...

4.3 (1)
Zoe is just your average teenage girl expecting another average,...

0.0 (0)
Frango & Chicken
Some things seem impossible, but with the right attitude and...

0.0 (0)
Ruby Lane
Ruby is overexcited again, and her brain is spinning creative...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Ghost
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a...

0.0 (0)
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice
A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into...

0.0 (0)
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
From the critically acclaimed author of Waiting for Normal and...

0.0 (0)
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde
Texas: 1931. It’s the height of the Great Depression, and...

0.0 (0)
Voyage of the Dogs
SOS. Ship damaged. Human crew missing. We are...

0.0 (0)
Flying in a Cage
A song tugs inside me, like a string pulling...

0.0 (0)
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!
The energetic and zany duo Shorty and Clem are back,...

0.0 (0)
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find
If you want to keep kids happily busy for hours...

0.0 (0)
Strange New World
Dahlia 16's life is a lie. The city of...

0.0 (0)
Like Never And Always
Liv Burnham thinks nobody knows Morgan Frost like she...

0.0 (0)
The Outcasts- The Blood Dagger: Volume 1
Mystical relics. Powerful vampires. Strange allies. It's hell being...

0.0 (0)
Ascent (A Peak Marcello Adventure #3)
After conquering the mountains in Afghanistan, Peak Marcello goes...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Strange New World

"Dahlia 16 just found out her whole life is a lie and that she's not a clone after all...."
Brave New Girl

"All Dahlia 16 knows is that she's just one of five thousand identical girls that's sole purpose is to work..."
LIFEL1K3

"LifeL1k3 is an engaging novel full of incredible writing, violence, action, romance, and strong world-building. Told in third person, and..."
Reclaiming Shilo Snow

""Reclaiming Shilo Snow" is an even better continuation of "The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" duology. All the story lines are..."
Nexis (Tricksters #1)

""Nexis" is a fantastic and imaginative sci-fi novel. Ellani begins the novel as a petulant teenager, upset with her father..."
Remember Yesterday

"“Remember Yesterday” is an incredible sequel in the “Forget Tomorrow” series. While the second books in a trilogy often seem..."
True Born

"“True Born” is one of my new favorites- a really fantastic YA fantasy. Lucinda (aka Lucy and Lu) and her..."
Forget Tomorrow (Forget Tomorrow #1)

""Forget Tomorrow" is a really intriguing YA dystopian set in a future where your life is guided by a future..."
True Storm

""True Storm" is the conclusion to the trilogy I have been loving since the first book. In this unique world,..."
True North (True Born Trilogy)

"“True North” is a fantastic continuation of the True Born series. Lucy is on her own with her parents and..."
LIFEL1K3

"With the technologies that we have nowadays, it's not that undeniable that with the scientist and mechanics miraculous hands that..."
LIFEL1K3

"Writing: The dialogues are mostly street slang but the book is also jazzed with something lyrical here and there...."
True Storm

"TRUE STORM is the final book in the True Born Series. With Margot back home with Lucy, Nolan Storm believes..."
True North (True Born Trilogy)

"When her parents take her sister to Russia, Lucy has nobody except the True Born Storm. Lucy agrees to be..."
Restore Me (Shatter Me #4)

"This book picks up shortly after where Ignite Me ended. Juliette is having trouble adjusting to the demands of her..."
True Born

"TRUE BORN follows Lucy and her twin Margot as they deal with the drama and politics of a post-apocalyptic world...."
The Selection

" The Selection by Kiera Cass is unlike any book I’ve ever read. Reminiscent of The Bachelor in setup, but..."
Stealing Liberty

"This is a book that you wish you could just sit down and read without interruption! Keeps you..."
Stealing Liberty

"Need an adventure to get lost in? Read this book!! It is gripping from beginning to end with..."
Stealing Liberty

"I am amazed as to how versatile Jennifer Froelich is as an author. Each book is so creative and unique..."