Echo After Echo Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

intelligent, dark, and haunting

WHAT I LOVED:
Something tells me more than a few actresses could read this book and say afterwards "yep, some of this is 100% accurate." Zara's audition for the role of Echo in Echo and Ariston on Broadway sees her get the part regardless of her lack of experience and in the weeks leading up to her moving to New York City, she develops a close relationship with Leopold, the show's director. I think you already know what kind of things he inflicts upon Zara, like propositioning her and trying to control her offstage and generally being a massive creep.

That is honestly just the start of how awful Leopold is as a person and how many lives he's wrecked. Trust me, there's a lot more. (Honestly, I did not plan to focus on this, but look at the entertainment industry's wave of sexual harassment, abuse, and assault allegations against so many major players. Echo After Echo knew what was going on in Hollywood as well as on Broadway.)

But Zara and Eli, our two main characters, share the majority of third-person POV duties and their unfolding romance is the real focus of the story. Though Zara worries Leopold will find out when he explicitly told her not to get into a relationship because he thinks he has that right to dictate her love life, something else looms: the curse on the Aurelia, the theater where Echo and Ariston is performing.

Through stellar writing and an incredible sense of atmosphere, the Aurelia is practically a character itself whispering into Zara's ear about what's happened within its walls. For a century, every production there has been cursed with accidents and deaths. The curse, according to the rumors, always comes in threes and it always ends on opening night--and from the looks of it, the death of the lightning designer Roscoe is just the first curse incident out of three.

Though there's no one living in or under the theater making these things happen, Echo After Echo has a very Phantom of the Opera feel to it as it builds up to the second strike--another death--and third strike of the curse. The strong characterization of Eli and Zara ups the tension as well, making you worried the third strike might fall upon one of them.

WHAT LEFT ME WANTING:
At 432 pages, Echo After Echo is a bit too long, however. There's a significant lull in events during the book that may make you put it down for a while. Though I love when Ariston's actor Adrian Ward gets POV sections that strengthen his characterization, he's a minor player in the overall story. The climactic scene sees everyone of note involved somehow, but Adrian is the least involved of all. All he does there is give a letter from Zara to Eli! Though he's characterized like a main character, he's very nearly a bit player.

FINAL VERDICT:
Echo After Echo is an intelligent, dark, and haunting book starring gay girls who get their happy ending, the wonderful and terrible world of theater, and the possibility of a curse. You shouldn't need to hear anything more to convince you of this book! Skipping it means missing out on one of the most memorable, atmospheric settings of the year and so much more.

Good Points
*excellent sense of setting and atmosphere
*stars a bi girl and lesbian girl who get a happy ending!
*reminds me of Phantom of the Opera
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)
The Homework Strike
Gregory K. has too much homework. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Wicked Nix

"Wicked Nix is the foulest of the fairies. He's also the protector of the forest and will keep people out..."
Journey of the Pale Bear

"JOURNEY OF THE PALE BEAR is an inspiring and heartwarming story about a bear and a boy who develop a..."
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)

"When Ms. Frizzle gets a job as a professor, her sister takes over her class as the new teacher. Arnold..."
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)

"Wanda is putting together the Fall Fun Feast, but she forgot about the food! When she starts looking into ideas,..."
Knock Knock

"'Knock Knock' by Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Guy Francis, is a cute picture book about a bear getting prepared for..."
Apex Predator (Horizon, Book 4)

" Both the members of the robotics team whose plane went down and the members of the Cub-Tones from the..."
Seeing Red (Whatever After #12)

"Abby is excited that her nana is coming to stay with her and Jonah while her parents are away, but..."
The Phantom Bandit (Geronimo Stilton #70)

"As fall approaches, Geronimo is busy working in his newspaper office when he starts to see strange things-- his co..."
The Bad Guys in Do-You-Think-He-Saurus?!: Special Edition (The Bad Guys #7)

"To recap the adventures of the Bad Guys so far: they were saving Earth from an alien invasion when their..."
Timmy Failure: It's the End When I Say It's the End (Timmy Failure #7)

"As Christmas approaches, Timmy is ready to give up his detective business, but he has one last mission: to help..."
Genius Ideas [Mostly] (Tom Gates #4)

"There are few things in Tom's life that are NOT made better by caramel wafer biscuits, and after he sees..."
G.I. Dogs: Sergeant Stubby, Hero Pup of World War I (G.I. Dogs #2)

"Stubby was adopted from the streets of Boston by Bob Conroy, who managed to sneak him on the ship his..."
All-of-a-Kind Family Hanukkah

"It's Hanukkah on New York's Lower East Side in 1912. Young Gertie, who is four, is very excited about all..."
Merci Suárez Changes Gears

"Merci lives next door to her grandparents, Abuela and Lolo, and her aunt and younger twin cousins. Her father has..."
Let Sleeping Dragons Lie (Have Sword, Will Travel #2)

"Sir Eleanor and Sir Odo are back with their respective talking swords. After the death of Sir Halfdan and the..."
So Done

"Bean and Tai are neighbors in a low-income housing project and have been friends for a very long time, but..."
The Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)

"In this notebook novel, author Barnett explains to his readers what he did before he became a children's author. Because..."
The Darkdeep

"When bully Logan and his cronies send Nico's expensive, handmade drone into the bottomless waters of Still Cove, Nico tries..."
Field Tripped

"When the fifth graders of Liberty Falls Elementary School take there annual trip to Mink's Mystery Mansion, the children who..."
Mascot

"Noah Savino lives in the St. Louis neighborhood of the Hill, which is great, because he loves baseball. Well, he..."