Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Epic Space Adventure!

I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. Easily one of my favorite reads of 2017! Science Fiction is not usually my go-to genre, but I decided to pick this one up since author Claudia Gray is one of the first YA authors I read as a teen so I obviously had to give it a try. I'm glad to say it did not disappoint. Defy the Stars is electrifying and one epic space adventure!

What I Liked:

Claudia Gray is hands down one of the best at world-building (or is it space-exploring?) and storytelling. It's almost unbelievable how quickly I was drawn towards the different worlds and their fights for survival against the domineering, dying Earth. I could almost touch the stars, meteors, black holes, and gates to enter different galaxies. The book became my own spaceship and it was a joy to ride alongside the main characters, Noemi and Abel.

The characters are indeed my favorite aspect of Defy the Stars and you are completely missing out if you haven't met Noemi and Abel yet. This unlikely enemy duo made me laugh so hard and overall feel extremely happy while in their company. Noemi is a soldier set on protecting her planet from Earth while Abel is a mech with developing human emotions. They begin on different sides, but slowly begin to lean on each other in order to survive and protect what they love. In the end, their friendship and interactions are so pure and lovely that it hurt to say goodbye to them for the moment while I wait for the sequel to come out.

Oh, but I just have to fangirl over Abel for a second longer because who would have thought a robot could be so terribly cute and swoony? Definitely did not think it possible and I'm super curious to learn how Abel continues to develop as a mech with a human soul and how he continues to battle with his inner conflicts and the danger he represents to the rest of humanity. I just cannot imagine him staying safe for long and this hurts me so much!

Final Verdict:

Defy the Stars is exciting and heart-warming and I cannot wait to read more! There is a whole lot of universe to explore and my heart quickens at the thought of learning what Noemi and Abel will have to face next. One can only hope they come out of it unscathed! In other words, Defy the Stars is an unputdownable must read!

Good Points
Love the characters & world-building!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)
The Homework Strike
Gregory K. has too much homework. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Soccer School Season 1: Where Soccer Explains (Rules) the World

" "Coaches" Alex and Ben introduce the reader to their school that is all about soccer. Every class, from biology..."
Path to the Stars: My Journey from Girl Scout to Rocket Scientist

"Ms. Acevedo, scientist by training and CEO of the Girl Scouts of the USA, grew up in New Mexico in..."
History's Mysteries: Freaky Phenomena: Curious Clues, Cold Cases, and Puzzles From the Past

"HISTORY'S MYSTERIES: FREAKY PHENOMENA teaches about the theories, clues and details behind occurrences that seem out of this world. The..."
Animal Zombies!: And Other Bloodsucking Beasts, Creepy Creatures, and Real-Life Monsters

"ANIMAL ZOMBIES is the perfect educational book for the Halloween season. With stories of vampires, werewolves, and zombies, we know..."
The Diamond and the Boy

"Told in alternation POVs, THE DIAMOND AND THE BOY tells the story of how the diamond is created and the..."
Abraham Lincoln's Dueling Words

"'Abraham Lincoln's Dueling Words' by Donna Janell Bowman, illustrated by S.D. Schindler, brings to light a not-so-well-known piece of history..."
Eleanor Roosevelt, Fighter for Justice: Her Impact on the Civil Rights Movement, the White House, and the World

"Eleanor Roosevelt has always been one of my favorite historical figures; my daughter is named Eleanor, since it's a good,..."
Elephants

"ELEPHANTS contains the truth people may not know about elephants. There are facts about how they live, eat, and so..."
Where is the Mississippi River?

"The Mississippi is the longest river in North America. It rises at Lake Itasca in Minnesota and flows almost due..."
A Kids' Guide to the American Revolution (Kids' Guide to American History)

"A Kid’s Guide to the American Revolution is full of intriguing facts and details about the struggle that gave birth..."
What's So Special About Dickens?

"Like many adults, I have a deep, abiding love for classic literature—a love that did not begin during my childhood...."
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice

"This is a collection of brief biographies of people who stood up and resisted injustices and tyranny. There's a little..."
A Place for Fish

"A PLACE FOR FISH teaches about different fish and creatures that live in the water and ways that people can..."
Now You Know How It Works

"NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS explains how certain things work, such as rubber balls, kites, garbage, flashlights, boats, and..."
Lovely Beasts

"LOVELY BEASTS teaches that animals you may believe to be scary, are actually not so bad and that there's so..."
I Wish I Was a Gorilla

"This level one reader introduces children to details about gorillas by asking what they would do if they WERE gorillas...."
More Deadly Than War: The Hidden History of the Spanish Flu and the First World War

"This well-illustrated book covers a vast amount of historical information concerning both World War I and the Spanish Flu Epidemic,..."
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."
Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race

"“… with hard work, perseverance, and a love of math, anything was possible.” Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson,..."
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

"“Women and girls have been sharing things up for a long time, resisting those who would box them in.” ..."