Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Action Packed from start to finish

Let me start by saying that while this is the seventh (yes, seventh!) book in a series, I haven't ever read the beginning books. But it is a huge testament to Michael Grant and his writing style that I never once felt lost or like I didn't understand any characters. The book opens with a great description of what has happened previous to now and the personal histories of the characters were meeting. So even if you haven't picked up any of the previous books in this series - don't let that hold you back from reading this one!

Monster opens when meteors from space carrying a genetically-engineered virus come crashing down around the globe. Soon it's a mad dash between governments to be the first to seize these rocks and prevent them getting into the wrong hands. Shockingly, even with all that planning, they still find their way into the wrong hands.

One of things I appreciated most about Monster was that the main cast was fairly diverse, including the group of five protagonists. They included the black and gay Dekka, Malik who is also black, trans latinx Cruz, and Armo who has ODD. I appreciated how Grant captured the complex humanity of each of his characters.

I was hooked from the prologue through to the end. Grant expertly combined characterization, action and intrigue to create a story that kept me invested. The characters, the setting and the story all flowed well together to create a crazy modern apocalyptic adventure! Grant has this very dramatic, brutal writing style and this book would be perfect for a creepy Halloween read!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique paintings...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San Francisco,...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another spellbinding...

0.0 (0)
The Temptation of Adam
Adam Hawthorne is fine. Yeah, his mother left, his...

0.0 (0)
Undiscovered Country
In the aftermath of her mother's death, Cat recklessly...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils...

0.0 (0)
The Emerald Circus
Where is Wendy? Leading a labor strike against the...

0.0 (0)
32718027.jpg
Step into The City of Brass, the spellbinding debut...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

This Book Is Gay

"“Anyway, who gets to decide what’s “normal” and what isn’t? What a horrid, excluding word that is.” - James Dawson,..."
Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out

""Beyond Magenta" is an incredible look into the minds, lives, and struggles of LGBTQ teens. Each chapter profiles..."
Trafficked: My Story of Surviving, Escaping, and Transcending Abduction into Prostitution

"I have mixed feelings toward this book. First and foremost, the content and basis of this horrific..."
Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes—from Cleopatra to Camus

"This is a fun collection of historical public figures that asks the question--Would you date them? There's some really..."
Trafficked: My Story of Surviving, Escaping, and Transcending Abduction into Prostitution

"Wow. What an intense and brave story to share. Trafficked is a terrifyingly honest story that delves into the horrors..."

"This non-fiction story is like Liam Neeson's film TAKEN but in this case what makes it even more frightening is..."
The How-To Handbook: Shortcuts and Solutions for the Problems of Everyday Life

"This compact 'How-to' Handbook breaks down everyday life problems into six sections, making it easy to navigate and find what..."
A Girl’s Guide to Fitting in Fitness

"This is a very good and practical book for girls who want to take care of themselves better. Since I..."
Andrew Jenks: My Adventures As a Young Filmmaker

"So I have never seen Andrew Jenks show, but when I received Andrew Jenks: My Adventures as a Young Filmmaker..."