Bad Girl Gone Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: October 14, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Bad Girl Gone

Sixteen-year-old Echo Stone wakes up and finds herself in a dark house with other kids. Middle House is the home to murdered kids and teens. She finds out that she's been murdered and it's her job to find her murderer. Only after Echo finds her murderer and gets revenge, can she move on to the afterlife. Talk about karma.

What worked: This is an unique take on the whole dead-girl-needs-to-resolve-past-in-order-to-cross-over. In this case the dead try to remember who killed them and take revenge against their murderers. I really liked this twist. The whole karma thing takes on a whole ghostly different meaning.

Echo's story unfolds little by little. She's not the poor dead girl, but has layers to her personality. Not quite 'good', but not all 'bad' either. She longs to be with her boyfriend Andy. There's scenes that paint a vivid portrait of the pain of being torn away before one's time.

There's one dead boy, Cole, that Echo is attracted to. She feels guilty for feeling this way as she tells herself she's still in love with Andy. Cole shows her around Middle House and helps her find her ghostly abilities(each of the dead have one). Along the way their attraction grows.

The other dead kids in the Middle House also have their own stories. Readers get to see one of them find his killer and witness how revenge is taken. I admit, I kind of wanted to see more of these stories. What makes these characters likable is showing their vulnerabilities(yes, it's much more than just being murdered). Even tough ghost Darby has a soft side.

I also like the whole idea of these ghosts having a 'choice' in deciding what they do. The very ending shows this when Echo is given an opportunity to go down one path and the consequences that follow.

Satisfying twist on the whole premise of murdered teens getting revenge. Fast-paced ghostly tale of not only revenge, but redemption.

Good Points
1. Unique twist on the whole ghost resolving issues before moving on
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)
The Diamond and the Boy
Told in a unique dual-narrative format, The Diamond and the...

0.0 (0)
Little Penguin Stays Awake
A charming companion to Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups and...

0.0 (0)
Merry Christmas, Little One
Christmas comes but once a year - Time...

0.0 (0)
Hi-Five Animals
What's the best way to say hello to anyone you...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs
After defeating the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Superpigs...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes...

0.0 (0)
I, Sofia-Elisabete, Love Child of Colonel Fitzwilliam: A Perfect World in the Moon
In 1815, a 5-year-old girl searches for Utopia in a...

0.0 (0)
The Way I Used to Be
The main character Eden is raped by her brother's best...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans with...

0.0 (0)
PortalsByAnnChristy.jpg
The world sees the portals as an invasion. For Lysa,...

0.0 (0)
ONE RULE. DON'T FALL FOR THE BAD BOY. Sixteen-year-old Jasmine...

0.0 (0)
The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)
The perfect spooky read for Halloween, this pulse-pounding adventure will...

0.0 (0)
Four Three Two One
Golden “Go” Jennings wasn’t supposed to be on Bus 21...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and play...

0.0 (0)
Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die
When thirteen-year-old Max Tilt stumbled across his great-great-great-grandfather Jules Verne’s...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

THE GHOST CHRONICLES

"\\Michael Andrews has died in a fiery car accident. He is sentenced to continually walk the earth. Things start to..."
Faded

"'Faded' by Melanie Hooyenga is the third installment in her 'Flicker Effect' series. It is not always true that a..."
A Mortal Song

"Sora has been raised by the kami in Mt. Fuji and enjoys her life with her parents and her best..."
Fathom

" FATHOM is a haunting and alluring story with the undeniable presence of Kira's mother who's supposed to be..."
ALEX HUNT and the Chase for Rhapta

"When Alex's dad goes missing, she is the only one who can find him because she's also the only one..."
Kingdom of Embers

"What I Liked: This book is told from Alena’s POV, who is a half vampire, half witch, and her..."
Ghosts of Bliss Bayou

"The story: Abby Renshaw is not a normal seventeen-year-old girl. She suffers from hallucinations wherein she sees ghosts, a..."
Ghosts of Bliss Bayou

"Captivating story, smooth writing style, well executed."
Venus Shining: Trinity Forest Book 3

N/A
""Jennifer Alsever has raised the bar, once again and VENUS SHINING is a shining testament to her imagination and creative..."
The Girl Who Saved Ghosts

"The Girl Who Saves Ghosts is as engaging, adventerous, and mysterious as the first in the series! There is murder,..."
White (The Wings Trilogy, #1)

"With Claire's parents gone, she is uprooted and moves to Aurora with her sister. Here, she finds a new fascination..."
Ember Burning: Trinity Forest Book 1

"WOW. Just wow. I'll be honest ... I dove into this book after skimming the synopsis. But I..."
Reap the Shadows (Steel & Stone Book 4)

"I don’t think I’ll ever not love this series. It came out of nowhere, demanded my attention and has kept..."
A Penny Lost

"‘A Penny Lost’ is the story of Penelope Grace (Penny) a high school student who can read other’s emotions. Penny..."

"REFLECTIONS by Clifton Kenny follows Shane Sullivan as he discovers that he has the ability to talk to people from..."
Fallen to Grace

"In FALLEN TO GRACE, Azreal is a hybrid, an abomination, but she dreams of becoming so much more. Those dreams..."
Ember Burning: Trinity Forest Book 1

"The story: Haunted by the tragic death of her parents, seventeen-year-old Ember Trouve has withdrawn from her life. She..."
Blood Dragons (Rebel Vampires Volume 1)

"Blood Dragons (Rebel Vampires, Book 1) by Rosemary A. Johns The Story: As the love of his many lives..."
I Dream of Fire

"The story: Charlie Abbot lives in a dystopian world where “dreamers” are a precious national commodity. Dreamers, you see,..."
Flicker

"'Flicker' by Melanie Hooyenga is a very gripping novel. The concept behind it - that the main character, Biz, has..."