Review Detail

Slider Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Yes, I'll have fries with this!

David is interested in competitive eating-- he can eat a pizza pretty quickly, and he's watched a lot of competitions and thinks he could probably do pretty well. When he accidentally bids $2,000 on a half hot dog and his bid wins, he turns to several local competitive eating events to try to earn back the money before his mother sees the charge on her account. He wins a White Castle-type challenge, but only receives a gift card as a prize. This is somewhat helpful as he trains for the Super Pigorino Bowl at the local pizzeria, but he needs the money that winning the competition at the Iowa State Fair will provide. He embarks on a training regimen that involves insane amounts of food, including entire heads of cabbage, for building capacity. In the meantime, he parents aren't thrilled. It's not the academic success that David's older sister, Bridgette has in college, and he doesn't require the care that his younger brother, Mal does. If his mother labeled things, which she doesn't, Mal would be on the more serious end of the autism spectrum. David is very good at caring for Mal, so when David's parents think he needs more of a summer job than choking down pizzas, they have him tend Mal while the his mother teaches a class. David makes some headway with Mal's increased socialization-- Mal travels further, with fewer meltdowns, when he is wearing sunglasses, and David also thinks critically about the charateristics that make food appealing to Mal, and gets him to add several new things to his diet. Eventually, David's parents find out about the credit card bill, so the eating competition becomes even more important. Will David be able to use his skills, as well as his smarts, to figure a way out of his financial and personal crises?

Good Points
Not only was David a particularly appealing character, and his role in his family realistically drawn, but his sidekicks Cyn and HeyMan were interesting as well. I liked the idea that the three of them had been friends, but now Cyn (whom David finds a bit appealing) and HeyMan are spending more time together but aren't sure if they are ready to be boyfriend/girlfriend. A lot of intriguing relationships going on in this book, and they are not the same old ones typical to middle grade literature.

I've also never seen a novel about competitive eating! It's not a topic that interests me personally, but I can see it being appealing to ever hungry middle school boys who are enthralled by the idea eating fifty slices of pizza or several dozen sliders. The research into training strategies, famous eaters, and different types of competitions is well done, and the creation of a couple of less-than-honest competitors is clever. I especially liked how David got the better of "The Gurge" on more than one occasion!

Of course, the most brilliant thing about this book is the way that it takes a very serious facet of David's life-- his brother Mal-- and frames the relationship the two have with the amusement of competitive eating. David is stoic in the way that many children who have siblings with issues can be, and he is kind and helpful to his brother while being a tiny bit annoyed, but he does feel a lot of pressure to be less of a problem to his parents because of the issues his brother faces. Readers will pick up this book because of the premise and the appealing cover art work, and learn some important life lessons in a way that slips down as easily as pizza crusts dipped in water.

For readers who like Jordan Sonnenblick, John David Anderson, and Gordon Korman and other humorous titles that also include messages of social importance, Hautman's Slider is two delicious and nutritious all beef patties of humor on a sesame seed bun of humanity.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)
The Diamond and the Boy
Told in a unique dual-narrative format, The Diamond and the...

0.0 (0)
Little Penguin Stays Awake
A charming companion to Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups and...

0.0 (0)
Merry Christmas, Little One
Christmas comes but once a year - Time...

0.0 (0)
Hi-Five Animals
What's the best way to say hello to anyone you...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs
After defeating the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Superpigs...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes...

0.0 (0)
I, Sofia-Elisabete, Love Child of Colonel Fitzwilliam: A Perfect World in the Moon
In 1815, a 5-year-old girl searches for Utopia in a...

0.0 (0)
The Way I Used to Be
The main character Eden is raped by her brother's best...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans with...

0.0 (0)
PortalsByAnnChristy.jpg
The world sees the portals as an invasion. For Lysa,...

0.0 (0)
ONE RULE. DON'T FALL FOR THE BAD BOY. Sixteen-year-old Jasmine...

0.0 (0)
The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)
The perfect spooky read for Halloween, this pulse-pounding adventure will...

0.0 (0)
Four Three Two One
Golden “Go” Jennings wasn’t supposed to be on Bus 21...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and play...

0.0 (0)
Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die
When thirteen-year-old Max Tilt stumbled across his great-great-great-grandfather Jules Verne’s...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

THE GHOST CHRONICLES

"\\Michael Andrews has died in a fiery car accident. He is sentenced to continually walk the earth. Things start to..."
Faded

"'Faded' by Melanie Hooyenga is the third installment in her 'Flicker Effect' series. It is not always true that a..."
A Mortal Song

"Sora has been raised by the kami in Mt. Fuji and enjoys her life with her parents and her best..."
Fathom

" FATHOM is a haunting and alluring story with the undeniable presence of Kira's mother who's supposed to be..."
ALEX HUNT and the Chase for Rhapta

"When Alex's dad goes missing, she is the only one who can find him because she's also the only one..."
Kingdom of Embers

"What I Liked: This book is told from Alena’s POV, who is a half vampire, half witch, and her..."
Ghosts of Bliss Bayou

"The story: Abby Renshaw is not a normal seventeen-year-old girl. She suffers from hallucinations wherein she sees ghosts, a..."
Ghosts of Bliss Bayou

"Captivating story, smooth writing style, well executed."
Venus Shining: Trinity Forest Book 3

N/A
""Jennifer Alsever has raised the bar, once again and VENUS SHINING is a shining testament to her imagination and creative..."
The Girl Who Saved Ghosts

"The Girl Who Saves Ghosts is as engaging, adventerous, and mysterious as the first in the series! There is murder,..."
White (The Wings Trilogy, #1)

"With Claire's parents gone, she is uprooted and moves to Aurora with her sister. Here, she finds a new fascination..."
Ember Burning: Trinity Forest Book 1

"WOW. Just wow. I'll be honest ... I dove into this book after skimming the synopsis. But I..."
Reap the Shadows (Steel & Stone Book 4)

"I don’t think I’ll ever not love this series. It came out of nowhere, demanded my attention and has kept..."
A Penny Lost

"‘A Penny Lost’ is the story of Penelope Grace (Penny) a high school student who can read other’s emotions. Penny..."

"REFLECTIONS by Clifton Kenny follows Shane Sullivan as he discovers that he has the ability to talk to people from..."
Fallen to Grace

"In FALLEN TO GRACE, Azreal is a hybrid, an abomination, but she dreams of becoming so much more. Those dreams..."
Ember Burning: Trinity Forest Book 1

"The story: Haunted by the tragic death of her parents, seventeen-year-old Ember Trouve has withdrawn from her life. She..."
Blood Dragons (Rebel Vampires Volume 1)

"Blood Dragons (Rebel Vampires, Book 1) by Rosemary A. Johns The Story: As the love of his many lives..."
I Dream of Fire

"The story: Charlie Abbot lives in a dystopian world where “dreamers” are a precious national commodity. Dreamers, you see,..."
Flicker

"'Flicker' by Melanie Hooyenga is a very gripping novel. The concept behind it - that the main character, Biz, has..."