Dear Martin Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: September 25, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Dear Martin

Justyce is at the top of his class, captain of the debate team, and on track to attend a prestigious Ivy League college next year. None of that matters though to the police officer who profiles him after Justyce tries to help his ex-girlfriend. He's arrested and put in handcuffs. Even though he's been able to escape his neighborhood, it seems as if some continue to look at him in scorn or label him based on the color of his skin. Justyce's way to try to cope is to write letters to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He tries to see if Dr. King's teachings hold up now. Then one day he goes driving with his best friend who happens to have his music up full blast. A middle-aged white man doesn't like this. What happens next is something that could come right off the headlines of today's paper. Through it all Justyce finds himself being attacked in the media and by the people around him.

What worked: This is a raw, unflinching look at what troubles our nation right now. Racism continues to be one of those subjects that some are uncomfortable to discuss, but one that needs to be. Justyce is a good kid that is top of his class and goes to a prestigious high school. But he finds none of that matters when he's profiled just because of his skin color. His experience with being arrested, handcuffed, and verbally abused is very real and continues to happen in our country to other young black men. Stone doesn't hold back with the struggles and yes, anger Justyce feels at this injustice that was directed toward him.

I really loved the letters to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Readers get more insight to how Justyce feels during the injustices he witnesses not only toward him, but others around him. There's scenes where some students go off on Justyce and especially one where a classmate 'assumes' that the only reason why he didn't get accepted to Yale was because the college used the 'race' card with Justyce.

The voice is authentic and rang true.

There's lots of topics discussed in frank detail; racial profiling, racism, prejudice, and police brutality. This book would be perfect for high school libraries and for classroom discussions. I seriously feel these topics should be discussed and not avoided.

A must-read.

Good Points
1. Raw, unflinching
2. Totally recommend to be added to all high school reading lists
3. A must-read
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Loneliest Girl in The Universe
A surprising and gripping sci-fi thriller with a killer twist...

0.0 (0)
Dragon-Slayers_Low Res.jpg
A reverse harem with a powerful magical heroine, a mystery...

0.0 (0)
Fire and Fairies by Kristin D Van Risseghem low resolution.jpg
Forbidden love. Agony. Heartbreak. Sidelle never wanted...

0.0 (0)
Obsidio (The Illuminae Files #3)
Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their...

0.0 (0)
I've always been the prey. All Seventeen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Ignited (Dance of the Elements, #1)
A NOBLE DAUGHTER. A FORMER SLAVE. SCORCHED EARTH AND...

0.0 (0)
Royals
Meet Daisy Winters. She’s an offbeat sixteen-year-old Floridian with...

0.0 (0)
SoulCatchers_600x900.jpg
Whoever kills the wolf becomes the wolf… ...

0.0 (0)
Bring Me Their Hearts
Zera is a Heartless – the immortal, unageing soldier...

5.0 (1)
The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik
This is Noah Oakman → sixteen, Bowie believer, concise...

3.7 (1)
Playing Her Secret Crush
All her life, Katie has been chosen last for everything:...

0.0 (0)
The Princess of Windswept (#1)
Danni is a normal teenage girl until she gets an...

0.0 (0)
Milla Takes Charge (Disney: Daring Dreamers Club #1)
Milla loves nothing more than imagining grand adventures in the...

4.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
The House of One Thousand Eyes
Who can Lena trust to help her find out the...

4.7 (1)
Where I Found You (Sea)
After her mother's plane went missing over the Indian Ocean,...

0.0 (0)
Classes are Canceled
This series is part of Scholastic's early...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Always Forever Maybe

"It isn't always easy to love a book that talks about a dark subject, but Rissi captivated me with her..."
The Loneliest Girl in The Universe

"What worked: This is one of those books you can't put down! I literally stayed up until the early morning..."
Milla Takes Charge (Disney: Daring Dreamers Club #1)

"MILLA TAKES CHARGE by Erin Soderberg is the first in a new series from Disney and Random House Children's Books..."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
Bring Me Their Hearts

""Bring Me Their Hearts" was a fantastic YA fantasy that I wish I could give more than 5 stars to!..."
Fawkes

""Fawkes" is a YA historical fantasy that sounds so interesting! Unfortunately, I could not get into it. In this alternate..."
Fireblood (Frostblood #2)

""Fireblood" was a pretty good continuation of the Frostblood Saga. While the first book took place in the land of..."
Thief of Lies

"“Thief of Lies” is the first in the Library Jumpers series. It had me hooked at the start but lost..."
The Waking Land

"“The Waking Land” is an enthralling YA fantasy that follows Elanna Valtai. The prologue shows us Elanna’s nightmares over the..."
The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles #1)

""The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is the story of a teenager who wakes up from a coma without any memories..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Heartless

""Heartless" is the origin story for the Queen of Hearts (of Alice in Wonderland fame). Catherine, destined to be the..."
All The Crooked Saints

""All the Crooked Saints" is YA fiction with a heavy dose of magical realism. The Soria family lives in Bicho..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

""Beastly" is a beautiful and amazing story of second chances, the importance of who you are within, and love. A..."
Don't Look Back

""Don't Look Back" is a one-off thriller from Jennifer L. Armentrout. It begins with Samantha appearing bloody and beat up..."
Seven Days of You

""Seven Days of You" follows Sophia during her last week in Tokyo, where she has lived for the last four..."
When the Moon Was Ours

""When the Moon was Ours" is a hauntingly beautiful and lyrical masterpiece. McLemore is an incredible storyteller. The words do..."
Finding Audrey

"I think this is one of Kinsella's finest books. There is so much heart, struggle, and soul to this book...."
Reclaiming Shilo Snow

""Reclaiming Shilo Snow" is an even better continuation of "The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" duology. All the story lines are..."
Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles #2)

""Bewitching" continues the story of the witch Kendra and retells multiple fairytales. The book begins with her origin story, losing..."