Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Sick of Double Standards

This is going to be more like a rant/review than just a review. I am honestly proud that I finished this book, it was so boring and needlessly long. I can sum up the book in one paragraph yet it's 436 pages long. I was so bored. So the book was too long for such a small plot.

Liesl used to play with the Goblin King as a child. She grew up and stopped playing with him. He kidnaps her sister to lure her back to him. She saves her sister by giving herself to him. They fall in love. He lets her go so she doesn't die.

That is the whole plot.

But it gets worse. Liesl is so annoying, always saying she is less than her talented brother and beautiful sister. All she wants is to be good looking, in all honestly it seems to me that all she wants is a man to find her good looking and sleep with her. She wants to be desirable like her younger sister.

She fails to see her own talents, always thinking she's nothing and then yet she tries to push her dreams onto her brother. I just don't like her.

Then there is the problem of the author setting up this huge thing and never giving the payoff. What am I talking about? The sexual tension. The author builds it up and builds it up and we get the smallest amount of payoff. Sometimes it even fades to black. That is not good. If you set something up that far the payoff needs to be worth it or it's a fail.

Also the chemistry between her and the Goblin King was pretty awful. I never really felt the love between them, not once.

This also leads me into another point. How many times he'd told her no when she kept pushing for sex.

"Stop." His voice was firmer now. I ignored him, pulling at hid cloak, his shirt, his breeches. "Stop, Elisabeth. Please." - Page 234 (The Goblin King)

He let out a slight hiss of pain. Moans of pain, moans of pleasure - to my ears they were all sung in the same key. - Page 233 (Liesl's thoughts) - Like this kind of thinking is not normal to me. Moans of pain sound like moans of pleasure? No. That's sick.

"Enough, Elisabeth." He was short of breath."Enough." - Page 236 (The Goblin King)

Yeah so there is that, it bothers me, this double standard. Do you know if this was switched, if it were the girl that was going through this how many people would get pissed? But since it's a guy... nothing. I've seen one other reviewer say something about this. ONE. This kind of thing is never okay, guy, girl, anyone else. No means fucking no. You stop.

After they do finally have sex... suddenly her whole world changes and she feels the desire to write music again and she is now a woman and she is so very different from before. The world now makes sense and blah, blah, blah.

Yeah none of that is true. Do you know what happens after you have sex? The world goes on just as it did before. You do not change into this whole new person. The world does not align and all the secrets of it are reveled. You maybe sore for a day after but that's the only thing that changes. So that whole thing just made me roll my eyes so hard I thought they were going to get stuck.

I just... I don't think I've ever disliked a book so much as this one and I hated that. I wanted to love it so much. I hate saying bad things about books so here are the few things I liked. The cover is stunning, I love how it was marketed as a labyrinth inspired story. I also love how it brought music into the story. I wish more books would do that as music and books are my favorite things so it makes me happy when they collide. I did like the writing style. It was something almost lyrical and that was nice.

So I guess that's all I really have to say about this book. It was boring, eye roll worthy and just plain awful.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Leading Edge of Now
Just when Grace is beginning to get used to...

0.0 (0)
9 FROM NINE WORLDS
The Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard trilogy...

0.0 (0)
I Do Not Trust You
Memphis "M" Engle is stubborn to a fault, graced...

0.0 (0)
RIPPED- a Jack the Ripper Time-Travel Thriller
When a museum trip turns funky, Katie Lennox is...

4.8 (5)
Queens (The Wielders of Arantha Book 2)
A cosmic game of chess is underway, and the...

0.0 (0)
Pride
Pride and Prejudice gets remixed in this smart, funny,...

0.0 (0)
The Story of B
The Story of B combines Daniel Quinn's provocative and visionary...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: Beauty and the Beast: A Modern Retelling
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Snow Queen: A Graphic Novel
Follow Gerda on an adventure to find her friend Kay,...

0.0 (0)
DARK TALES: THE CALL OF CTHULHU: A Graphic Novel
In this Dark Tale, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming... ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Graphic Novel
Eliminate the impossible, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be...

0.0 (0)
Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY
Adrienne Cahill cares about three things: getting into a great...

0.0 (0)
#Murdertrending
@doctorfusionbebop: Some 17 y. o. chick named Dee Guerrera was...

0.0 (0)
Unstoppable Moses
Moses and his cousin Charlie were best friends, wisecracking pranksters,...

0.0 (0)
51HTvQF3B2L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Alien meets Alexandra Bracken’s The Darkest Minds in this thrilling...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt

"Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt offers lengthier chapter book reading, while still offering delightful illustrations more familiar to young readers..."
Mangoes, Mischief, and Tales of Friendship

"This book took me right back to my childhood! But what’s interesting is that the stories in this book aren’t..."
Zora & Me: The Cursed Ground

" Reading stories set during the time of slavery twists the stomach into a knot. Though most of us..."
Laugh-Out-Loud A+ Jokes for Kids (Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids)

"Yet another collection of clean kid’s jokes in the LOL series, this slim paperback offers fresh school-themed humor. As with..."
The Third Mushroom

"Ellie's grandfather Melvin, who turned himself into a teenager in The Fourteenth Goldfish, has gotten tired of traveling and has..."
A Long Line of Cakes

"'A Long Line of Cakes' by Deborah Wiles, set in a comfortably cozy town where everyone knows each other, captures..."
Are You Scared, Darth Vader?

" This is a fun, cute, beautifully illustrated childrens book. What scares Darth Vader? Not wolfman, vampires, ghosts or kids!..."
Clementine for Christmas

"Josie loves Christmas, especially making memories with her dog Clementine volunteering at the children's hospital. Oscar's parents are always fighting..."
Wicked Nix

"Wicked Nix is the foulest of the fairies. He's also the protector of the forest and will keep people out..."
Journey of the Pale Bear

"JOURNEY OF THE PALE BEAR is an inspiring and heartwarming story about a bear and a boy who develop a..."
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)

"When Ms. Frizzle gets a job as a professor, her sister takes over her class as the new teacher. Arnold..."
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)

"Wanda is putting together the Fall Fun Feast, but she forgot about the food! When she starts looking into ideas,..."
Knock Knock

"'Knock Knock' by Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Guy Francis, is a cute picture book about a bear getting prepared for..."
Apex Predator (Horizon, Book 4)

" Both the members of the robotics team whose plane went down and the members of the Cub-Tones from the..."
Seeing Red (Whatever After #12)

"Abby is excited that her nana is coming to stay with her and Jonah while her parents are away, but..."
The Phantom Bandit (Geronimo Stilton #70)

"As fall approaches, Geronimo is busy working in his newspaper office when he starts to see strange things-- his co..."
The Bad Guys in Do-You-Think-He-Saurus?!: Special Edition (The Bad Guys #7)

"To recap the adventures of the Bad Guys so far: they were saving Earth from an alien invasion when their..."
Timmy Failure: It's the End When I Say It's the End (Timmy Failure #7)

"As Christmas approaches, Timmy is ready to give up his detective business, but he has one last mission: to help..."
Genius Ideas [Mostly] (Tom Gates #4)

"There are few things in Tom's life that are NOT made better by caramel wafer biscuits, and after he sees..."
G.I. Dogs: Sergeant Stubby, Hero Pup of World War I (G.I. Dogs #2)

"Stubby was adopted from the streets of Boston by Bob Conroy, who managed to sneak him on the ship his..."