Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Sick of Double Standards

This is going to be more like a rant/review than just a review. I am honestly proud that I finished this book, it was so boring and needlessly long. I can sum up the book in one paragraph yet it's 436 pages long. I was so bored. So the book was too long for such a small plot.

Liesl used to play with the Goblin King as a child. She grew up and stopped playing with him. He kidnaps her sister to lure her back to him. She saves her sister by giving herself to him. They fall in love. He lets her go so she doesn't die.

That is the whole plot.

But it gets worse. Liesl is so annoying, always saying she is less than her talented brother and beautiful sister. All she wants is to be good looking, in all honestly it seems to me that all she wants is a man to find her good looking and sleep with her. She wants to be desirable like her younger sister.

She fails to see her own talents, always thinking she's nothing and then yet she tries to push her dreams onto her brother. I just don't like her.

Then there is the problem of the author setting up this huge thing and never giving the payoff. What am I talking about? The sexual tension. The author builds it up and builds it up and we get the smallest amount of payoff. Sometimes it even fades to black. That is not good. If you set something up that far the payoff needs to be worth it or it's a fail.

Also the chemistry between her and the Goblin King was pretty awful. I never really felt the love between them, not once.

This also leads me into another point. How many times he'd told her no when she kept pushing for sex.

"Stop." His voice was firmer now. I ignored him, pulling at hid cloak, his shirt, his breeches. "Stop, Elisabeth. Please." - Page 234 (The Goblin King)

He let out a slight hiss of pain. Moans of pain, moans of pleasure - to my ears they were all sung in the same key. - Page 233 (Liesl's thoughts) - Like this kind of thinking is not normal to me. Moans of pain sound like moans of pleasure? No. That's sick.

"Enough, Elisabeth." He was short of breath."Enough." - Page 236 (The Goblin King)

Yeah so there is that, it bothers me, this double standard. Do you know if this was switched, if it were the girl that was going through this how many people would get pissed? But since it's a guy... nothing. I've seen one other reviewer say something about this. ONE. This kind of thing is never okay, guy, girl, anyone else. No means fucking no. You stop.

After they do finally have sex... suddenly her whole world changes and she feels the desire to write music again and she is now a woman and she is so very different from before. The world now makes sense and blah, blah, blah.

Yeah none of that is true. Do you know what happens after you have sex? The world goes on just as it did before. You do not change into this whole new person. The world does not align and all the secrets of it are reveled. You maybe sore for a day after but that's the only thing that changes. So that whole thing just made me roll my eyes so hard I thought they were going to get stuck.

I just... I don't think I've ever disliked a book so much as this one and I hated that. I wanted to love it so much. I hate saying bad things about books so here are the few things I liked. The cover is stunning, I love how it was marketed as a labyrinth inspired story. I also love how it brought music into the story. I wish more books would do that as music and books are my favorite things so it makes me happy when they collide. I did like the writing style. It was something almost lyrical and that was nice.

So I guess that's all I really have to say about this book. It was boring, eye roll worthy and just plain awful.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

An Egg-Stra Special Easter
Happy Easter from the Beanie Boos! These furry friends are...

0.0 (0)
Jesus Loves Me
The Bible bb's share the Good News about Jesus using...

0.0 (0)
Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!
It’s Halloween and all the different creatures have come out...

0.0 (0)
The Itsy Bitsy School Bus
A fun and playful back-to-school twist on the popular nursery...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Hearts
Perfect for Valentine's Day or any day--search-and-find fun from bestselling...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Bunnies
This bestselling board book now has a shiny new holographic...

0.0 (0)
Peep, Peep, I Love You
An adorable lift-the-flap springtime and Easter story, full of sweet...

0.0 (0)
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)
Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Start a Club by Accident (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #2)

"Sassy and Waldo still love going to school (What? You haven't read Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go To..."
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)

"Danny has a violent streak, frequently pounding on his younger brother for pounding on another brother. His single father has..."
Standing Up Against Hate: How Black Women in the Army Helped Change the Course of WWII

"Because of the enormous need for men to be at the front battle lines, or in one of the theaters..."
Lumberjanes: The Good Egg (Lumberjanes #3)

"Summer is wearing on for the Lumberjanes; cabin cleaning must be done, and there is a slight feeling of ennui..."
An Egg-Stra Special Easter

"Carrots the bunny has hidden Easter eggs all around the farm. This is Blossom's first Easter though and she's excited...."
Jesus Loves Me

"JESUS LOVES ME is based off of the song in Christian religion. It teaches that Jesus loves all of his..."
Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!

"In HAPPY HALLOWEEN, a spider is going around scaring everyone! It scares a pumpkin, a ghost, a witch, and a..."
The Itsy Bitsy School Bus

"THE ITSY BITSY SCHOOL BUS is a fun change to the nursery rhyme "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." It follows a..."
I Spy Little Hearts

"I SPY LITTLE HEARTS is a cute little look-and-find for toddlers. It's in a board book format. The pictures are..."
I Spy Little Bunnies

"I SPY LITTLE BUNNIES is a cute little look-and-find for young children. It's in a board book format. The pictures..."
Peep, Peep, I Love You

"PEEP, PEEP, I LOVE YOU teaches about the mommy and baby animals on a farm. It also has a foam..."
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!

"LIFT THE FLAP: LOOK WHO'S MOOING is fun and interactive and it teaches the sounds animals make. There's buttons on..."
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

"This book has EVERYTHING and is the ultimate, magical experience for fans of FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. There..."
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book

"This coloring book will take you on a magical adventure into the story THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. The pictures are..."
Chicken Talk

"Farmer Otis, his wife Abby, and his children Willie and Belle love their chickens. They also have a rooster named..."
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival

"SEA BEAR teaches about how polar bears live and survive. It teaches how they're patient, what they eat, and that..."
Mike

"Floyd is a very good young tennis player who has worked very closely with his supportive parents to do well...."
A Good Kind of Trouble

"Shayla is a good kid who doesn't like to be in trouble. Her older sister, Hana, is outspoken and interested..."
Sweeping Up the Heart

"Amelia lives a quiet life in a college town with her introspective father and kindly neighbor Mrs. O’Brien, who looks..."
The Impossible Crime (Mac B., Kid Spy #2)

"Mac is calmly playing mini golf when the queen of England phones him yet again for help. She is afraid..."