Review Detail

Eden Summer Featured New
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Eden Summer

EDEN SUMMER by Liz Flanagan is a rollercoaster of a novel. In this contemporary young adult book, Jess’ best friend, Eden, has gone missing. Eden’s disappearance is the cherry on top of other devastating events Jess has lived through. Refusing to face any more heartache, Jess is determined to find Eden before the worst happens. Teaming up with Liam, Eden’s estranged boyfriend and Jess’ secret crush, the pair search all the places Eden could be. As memories from the past begin to resurface and new information comes to light, Jess wonders if she really knew Eden as well as she thought. Perhaps, she didn’t even know her at all.

Liz Flanagan is a masterful writer. It is obvious just from the first sentence of the book how strong her command of the English language is. Not only does her prose have a lyrical quality to it, but it also invokes vivid imagery, so much so that I had an easy time imagining all the various settings and people Flanagan describes in this book. Equally exciting is the structure of this novel, which is informed largely by lengthy flashbacks in time. By withholding certain information, Flanagan is able to heighten the suspense and the air of mystery. The flashbacks she wrote also always feel relevant and relate to the present storyline in a very synergistic way.

Though the bulk of the book is very exciting, the ending reads a bit anticlimactic. Honestly, I was hoping for a bigger twist in the final scenes. With that being said, the culmination of the story is still satisfying enough to forgive the lack of surprise.

Overall, EDEN SUMMER is a visually stunning novel with fun chapter headings, font, and page breaks that reads just as beautiful as its shell. It is a heavy story and not for those looking for a light and bubbly tale. Fans of whodunit mysteries and thrillers will be pleased.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Let's Investigate with Nate #1: The Water Cycle
Bill Nye the Science Guy meets The Magic School Bus!...

0.0 (0)
The 12 Dares of Christa
Christa is a holiday junkie. What’s not to love? There’s...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year she’ll...

0.0 (0)
See Fred Run
Learning to read has never been more fun than it...

0.0 (0)
The Monster of Selkirk Book I: The Duality of Nature
Monsters come in many forms, and not everyone knows a...

0.0 (0)
Where's Waldo? 30th Anniversary Edition
The amazing original that set off the worldwide search for...

0.0 (0)
The Little Girl Who Didn't Want to Go to Bed
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, makes...

0.0 (0)
Being Fishkill
Fishkill Carmel fends for herself, with her fists if need...

0.0 (0)
Goldeline
Perfect for fans of The Girl Who Drank the Moon...

0.0 (0)
The Last Namsara
Kristen Ciccarelli’s debut fantasy explores an intricately woven world of...

0.0 (0)
Speak Easy, Speak Love
Six teenagers’ lives intertwine during one thrilling summer full of...

0.0 (0)
Mr. Biddles
A funny picture book about friendship, in the tradition of...

0.0 (0)
Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True
Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Brigette Barrager reunite to bring us...

0.0 (0)
Black Bird of the Gallows
simple but forgotten truth: Where harbingers of death appear,...

0.0 (0)
Not Now, Not Ever
The sequel to The Only Thing Worse than Me Is...

0.0 (0)
The Prince and the Dressmaker
Paris, at the dawn of the modern age: ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The March Against Fear: The Last Great Walk of the Civil Rights Movement and the Emergence of Black Power

"James Meredith was a ground breaker in the Civil Rights Movement, and the first African-American to graduate from The University..."
Isaac The Alchemist: Secrets of Isaac Newton, Reveal'd

"Isaac The Alchemist is a very quiet book. Much like Isaac the boy. There is something powerful and inspiring about..."
Frederick Douglass: The Lion Who Wrote History

"The first sentence of this book sets the stage for Douglass' impact on history: "This is the story of how..."
Muhammad Ali: A Champion Is Born

"When Cassius Clay was 12 years old, his brand new bicycle was stolen. When he went to report it to..."
When I Grow Up: Misty Copeland (Scholastic Reader, Level 3)

"Young Misty loved to sing and dance, and started studying gymnastic at the age of seven, after seeing a movie..."
The Plot to Kill Hitler: Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Spy, Unlikely Hero

"There is no end to stories that could be told about the bravery of ordinary people during World War II...."
Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Backstories)

"DC Comics BACKSTORIES – SUPERMAN: The Man of Tomorrow is a brilliant look into what made the Man of Steel..."
Batman: Gotham City's Guardian (Backstories)

"Much like the Superman’s Backstory, DC Comics BACKSTORIES – BATMAN: Gotham City’s Guardian is a superb look inside one of..."
You Never Heard of Casey Stengel?!

N/A
"In this lengthy picture book, the life and times of the inimitable Stengel is given complete coverage. From his less..."
Ira's Shakespeare's Dream

"Becoming an actor is one good way to irritate your family, and in the early 1800s, Ira's father would really..."
Women Who Changed the Wolrd: 50 Amazing Americans

"Starting with Pocahontas and continuing through Margaret Bourke-White and Misty Copeland, this brightly illustrated book introduces readers to fast facts..."
The Hero Two Doors Down

"When Jackie Robinson rents an apartment in Steve Satlow's predominately Jewish neighborhood, some of the neighbors are not happy. Steve,..."
Sewing Stories: Harriet Powers' Journey from Slave to Artist

"This picture book starts out with end papers that show Harriet Powers' applique quilt, which is an excellent example of..."
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

" “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” –Malala Yousafzai A momentously important..."
Damn Few: Making the Modern SEAL Warrior

"I thought the book was hard to put down."
Growing Up Pedro: How the Martinez Brothers Made It from the Dominican Republic All the Way to the Major Leagues

"In this picture book biography, we see how long it can take for a dedicated and talented baseball player to..."
We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a True Story

"What I Liked: I’m not sure to what degree We Should Hang Out Sometime is non-fiction and how much of..."
John Muir: America's First Environmentalist

"I picked up John Muir: America's First Environmentalist, because I have always had a deep appreciation for the natural world..."
One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin

"In the tradition of Childhood of Famous Americans, this biography of Darwin starts with an examination of his formative years,..."
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two

"This is a book based on the real life story of how Navajo used their own language and a code..."