Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Legends and an Interesting Teen Pregnancy

THE INCONCEIVABLE LIFE OF QUINN has to be the most interesting and original story I've read all year. It follows Quinn, a teenager who discovers she's pregnant, even though she's never had sex before. So, the answer Quinn and her family are searching for is how?

Even with her predicament, all Quinn wants to do is carry on with her life as normally as possible, but it's hard to do when everyone is judging her. Relationships become strained with her friends and boyfriend because Quinn doesn't have the answers they're looking for. Of course everyone's go-to is that she's lying about everything, but Quinn truly has no idea what happened to her.

With her dad running for Congress, word about her pregnancy gets out quickly and gets blown over-the-top, as you can expect the media to do. While the beginning is a little slow, the author still keeps you turning page by page to discover the truth behind Quinn's pregnancy.

The bullying Quinn faces at school and at home (from other people harassing her, not her family) is so sad to see and it's probably how others in her shoes feel. Those girls may relate to this story a bit. One thing that I loved was that even thought Quinn and her dad's relationship isn't perfect, her parents and brother wanted to do everything they could to help her and it was so refreshing to see the family coming together rather than breaking apart.

Final Verdict: Initially, I was worried this was only going to be a typical repressed memory story, but there is so much more to it. I would recommend this to fans of myths, legends, finding yourself, and YA contemporary.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Let's Investigate with Nate #1: The Water Cycle
Bill Nye the Science Guy meets The Magic School Bus!...

0.0 (0)
The 12 Dares of Christa
Christa is a holiday junkie. What’s not to love? There’s...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year she’ll...

0.0 (0)
See Fred Run
Learning to read has never been more fun than it...

0.0 (0)
The Monster of Selkirk Book I: The Duality of Nature
Monsters come in many forms, and not everyone knows a...

0.0 (0)
Where's Waldo? 30th Anniversary Edition
The amazing original that set off the worldwide search for...

0.0 (0)
The Little Girl Who Didn't Want to Go to Bed
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, makes...

0.0 (0)
Being Fishkill
Fishkill Carmel fends for herself, with her fists if need...

0.0 (0)
Goldeline
Perfect for fans of The Girl Who Drank the Moon...

0.0 (0)
The Last Namsara
Kristen Ciccarelli’s debut fantasy explores an intricately woven world of...

0.0 (0)
Speak Easy, Speak Love
Six teenagers’ lives intertwine during one thrilling summer full of...

0.0 (0)
Mr. Biddles
A funny picture book about friendship, in the tradition of...

0.0 (0)
Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True
Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Brigette Barrager reunite to bring us...

0.0 (0)
Black Bird of the Gallows
simple but forgotten truth: Where harbingers of death appear,...

0.0 (0)
Not Now, Not Ever
The sequel to The Only Thing Worse than Me Is...

0.0 (0)
The Prince and the Dressmaker
Paris, at the dawn of the modern age: ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The March Against Fear: The Last Great Walk of the Civil Rights Movement and the Emergence of Black Power

"James Meredith was a ground breaker in the Civil Rights Movement, and the first African-American to graduate from The University..."
Isaac The Alchemist: Secrets of Isaac Newton, Reveal'd

"Isaac The Alchemist is a very quiet book. Much like Isaac the boy. There is something powerful and inspiring about..."
Frederick Douglass: The Lion Who Wrote History

"The first sentence of this book sets the stage for Douglass' impact on history: "This is the story of how..."
Muhammad Ali: A Champion Is Born

"When Cassius Clay was 12 years old, his brand new bicycle was stolen. When he went to report it to..."
When I Grow Up: Misty Copeland (Scholastic Reader, Level 3)

"Young Misty loved to sing and dance, and started studying gymnastic at the age of seven, after seeing a movie..."
The Plot to Kill Hitler: Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Spy, Unlikely Hero

"There is no end to stories that could be told about the bravery of ordinary people during World War II...."
Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Backstories)

"DC Comics BACKSTORIES – SUPERMAN: The Man of Tomorrow is a brilliant look into what made the Man of Steel..."
Batman: Gotham City's Guardian (Backstories)

"Much like the Superman’s Backstory, DC Comics BACKSTORIES – BATMAN: Gotham City’s Guardian is a superb look inside one of..."
You Never Heard of Casey Stengel?!

N/A
"In this lengthy picture book, the life and times of the inimitable Stengel is given complete coverage. From his less..."
Ira's Shakespeare's Dream

"Becoming an actor is one good way to irritate your family, and in the early 1800s, Ira's father would really..."
Women Who Changed the Wolrd: 50 Amazing Americans

"Starting with Pocahontas and continuing through Margaret Bourke-White and Misty Copeland, this brightly illustrated book introduces readers to fast facts..."
The Hero Two Doors Down

"When Jackie Robinson rents an apartment in Steve Satlow's predominately Jewish neighborhood, some of the neighbors are not happy. Steve,..."
Sewing Stories: Harriet Powers' Journey from Slave to Artist

"This picture book starts out with end papers that show Harriet Powers' applique quilt, which is an excellent example of..."
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

" “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” –Malala Yousafzai A momentously important..."
Damn Few: Making the Modern SEAL Warrior

"I thought the book was hard to put down."
Growing Up Pedro: How the Martinez Brothers Made It from the Dominican Republic All the Way to the Major Leagues

"In this picture book biography, we see how long it can take for a dedicated and talented baseball player to..."
We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a True Story

"What I Liked: I’m not sure to what degree We Should Hang Out Sometime is non-fiction and how much of..."
John Muir: America's First Environmentalist

"I picked up John Muir: America's First Environmentalist, because I have always had a deep appreciation for the natural world..."
One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin

"In the tradition of Childhood of Famous Americans, this biography of Darwin starts with an examination of his formative years,..."
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two

"This is a book based on the real life story of how Navajo used their own language and a code..."