Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A excellent way to start a new series!

I really enjoyed Gray’s Firebird series; I loved the way she handled an intricate multi-universe and dimensional travel but when I heard that she was tackling space… but not only space, but artificial intelligence, rebellion, war and because it’s Gray a complex romance?

I couldn’t be more aboard if I tried and I’d like to start my review off with saying that Claudia Gray does not disappoint!

Defy the Stars starts with Noemi Vidal, a seventeen-year-old soldier fighting to save her planet. In a matter of weeks Noemi is expected to give her life in order to give her people the time they need to come up with a way to win a war against the humans and androids/mechs of Earth.

Abel is an advanced mech that nobody knows exists except for his creator and master, Professor Burton Mansfield. Abel has been trapped on a deserted ship in space for 30 years until Noemi stumbles aboard searching for help. Due to being rescued Abel allows for Noemi to become his temporary master believing it to be a step closer to getting back to Mansfield. Although Noemi uses her new position to her advantage and drags Abel across the universe in order to save her own life and her planet.

What I loved about this book was that Earth was the villain. Earth got greedy, created mechs and once they had destroyed their planet they took over another one. This is totally believable; I mean I can totally see this happening. The world building and plot was slow in the beginning but soon picks up. Gray has created a beautiful universe that she shows off to it’s full potential.

The relationship between Noemi and Abel was one I truly savored. Abel slowly becomes more human the more social interaction he’s involved with, I mean watching him finally use sarcasm was such a highlight for me. I didn’t think a relationship between an AI and a human could have so much snark but Gray managed to pull it off, some scenes were hilarious! Poor Noemi grew so much as a person, it took me a while to warm to her character but once I did I became so invested in her story.

“Your soul is bigger than your programming.”

Defy the Stars was the best mix of the Starbound series and Illuminae. Noemi and Abel battle across the galaxy in order to save the people they love. Loyalty and love are both tested and there’s more than one beautiful moment that had me questioning humanity, filled with terror for my favourite characters and bursting with pride and love them. In short this book will put you through the ringer but it’s more than worth it, I can't wait for book two!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Knowing
Samara is one of the Knowing, and the Knowing do...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but you've...

0.0 (0)
Everything You Need to Know About NIGHTMARES! and How to Defeat Them: The Nightmares! Handbook
A handbook for beating nightmares from the New York Times...

0.0 (0)
Code 7: Cracking the Code for an Epic Life
Life at Flint Hill Elementary School may seem normal, but...

0.0 (0)
Confidentially Yours #6: Vanessa's Design Dilemma
In the sixth installment of the series that readers of...

0.0 (0)
Fly Guy's Big Family (Fly Guy #17)
In the latest installment of Tedd Arnold's New York Times...

0.0 (0)
Luna and the Lost Shell (Fairy Hill #2)
Fairy Hill is a magic forest where fairies live, play,...

0.0 (0)
Ruby and the Magic Garden (Fairy Hill #1)
Fairy Hill is a magic forest where fairies live, play,...

0.0 (0)
20316920_1595609687178811_492401856_o.jpg
This is the true story of a young family of...

0.0 (0)
Stealing Liberty
When Reed Paine is sent to a secret detention school...

0.0 (0)
Monster (Gone #7)
It’s been four years since a meteor hit Perdido Beach...

0.0 (0)
Sink or Swim: A Novel of World War II
It's been a month since the bombing of Pearl Harbor....

0.0 (0)
The White Tower
When Livy's accepted at Temple College, an exclusive school for...

0.0 (0)
Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After Special Edition)
Down the rabbit hole . . . ...

0.0 (0)
Rapunzel, the One With all the Hair (Twice Upon a Time #1)
There are two sides to every story -- even fairy...

0.0 (0)
Genuine Fraud
The story of a young woman whose diabolical smarts are...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Everything You Need to Know About NIGHTMARES! and How to Defeat Them: The Nightmares! Handbook

"In this companion to the Nightmares! trilogy, a hodgepodge of supplementary material is presented. There are pictures and descriptions of..."
Code 7: Cracking the Code for an Epic Life

"Flint Hill Elementary is planning a big anniversary celebration. The students decide that painting a mural is a great way..."
Confidentially Yours #6: Vanessa's Design Dilemma

"Katie and Vanessa are launching their KV fashion line at the school fashion show, and they are excited to find..."
Fly Guy's Big Family (Fly Guy #17)

"Buzz wants to play, but Fly Guy is downcast and drawing pictures of his family. Buzz decides to host a..."
Luna and the Lost Shell (Fairy Hill #2)

"Luna, Ruby and May are back, and this time the glow globes that are to be used to illuminate the..."
Ruby and the Magic Garden (Fairy Hill #1)

"Luna, Ruby and May are young fairies who live in Fairy Hill. They are learning magic and hope to get..."
Sink or Swim: A Novel of World War II

"When Colton's brother Danny is injured by a U Boat while out fishing in the Outer Banks, Colton decides to..."
The White Tower

"Livy has missed months of school because her best friend Mahalia died of leukemia. When her father is suddenly offered..."
Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After Special Edition)

"This had several interesting twists for this series. I did enjoy the fact that the difference between a fairy tale..."
Rapunzel, the One With all the Hair (Twice Upon a Time #1)

"In RAPUNZEL: THE ONE WITH ALL THE HAIR, we get the traditional story of Rapunzel with slight variations to bring..."
Dog Day Afterschool (Crimebiters #3)

"It's the end of the school year, and Jimmy Bishop is busy making plans for summer. He wants to volunteer..."
Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)

"In the WHATEVER AFTER SERIES, brother and sister Abby and Jonah have a magical mirror in their basement. The fairy..."
Groovy Joe: Dance Party Countdown

"Fun for kids and the adults reading to them alike. Groovy Joe is a smashing success with kids who..."
Touch and Feel Winter

"A cute winter book for the youngest children. Touch and Feel Winter is just as the title would have..."
Robin's Guide to Being Cool(er)

"This book is everything you don't expect it to be. Funny. Heart-warming. Educational. All wrapped up on one entertaining package...."
PupStyle: When I Grow Up

"A cute tool to teach kids about the different roles in life people play. The story: There are a..."
Hamster's Don't Fight Fires

"A fun, unique story to keep young readers engages and thoroughly entertained. The story: Hugo is a small..."
Lola's Rules for Friendship

"A story about an endearing little girl learning one of life's greatest lessons - how to relate to her peers...."
Danny and the Dinosaur

"A fun book for beginners to sink their teeth into. The Story: The Dinosaur has a friend named..."
The Curse of Einstein's Pencil (Bea Garcia)

"With Bea's best friend now living in Australia, she discovers a new possible friendship with Einstein. Judith Einstein that is..."