Wild Bird Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: July 31, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Wild Bird

What worked: Insightful tale of a rebellious teen who is sent to a wilderness survival camp in the middle of the Utah desert. Wren's tale is one that teens can relate to. Her struggles to 'fit' in when she moves to a new home leads her to make some bad choices that have terrible consequences. Wren's so-called friend Meadow introduces her to marijuana and to shoplifting. I thought the glimpses into Wren's choices and the consequences that follow are realistic. She lashes out at her family, especially her older sister. When she's sent to the wilderness camp, she's filled with resentment and hatred. She blames everyone for her problems except herself.

This is more a coming of age story of a rebellious teen who needs to learn to be true to herself and to face the pain she carries inside. The wilderness camp is shown through her eyes. Readers see what goes on in such a camp. There's no drugs, alcohol, or even cellphones out in the middle of Utah desert. Wren at first refuses to cooperate but little by little she learns that being out in the desert she learns not only to survive but to face the ugly truth behind her rebellion. By learning to find her way in the desert, she also learns to accept her choices.

The beginning of the novel, Wren is awoken at 3:47 in the morning and taken to the camp without her permission. This scene is gripping and intense. I couldn't stop reading to see where Wren would end up. This camp isn't like some of the more horrific ones that have been on the news but rather one that has caring counselors and advisers who really seem concerned for those sent to their care.

Readers see what leads up to Wren's parent's decision to send her away. Wren's actions start out small and then end up to the point that she admits she's way over her head. I liked how Van Draanen shows the dynamics of a dysfunctional friendship. Meadow at first seems as if she really cares about Wren but readers get glimpses into the one-sided relationship. Readers also see bad boy Nico and how his charm gets Wren to do things she might not otherwise do.

Gripping tale of a girl that learns that the real truth she must face is the one she hides inside while surviving at a wilderness camp.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Esme's Wish
When fifteen-year-old Esme Silver objects at her father's wedding, her...

0.0 (0)
What the Night Sings
For fans of The Book Thief and The Boy in...

0.0 (0)
In the first book of this new series, Sage Stone...

0.0 (0)
Bright Burns the Night
Ten years ago, King Lorcan of the Dark Kingdom...

0.0 (0)
The Edge of Juniper
Malcolm Dearing is sweet, gorgeous, persistent...and off-limits. Fay is...

0.0 (0)
Marked Beauty
Uncovering hidden secrets can sometimes kill you . ....

0.0 (0)
Listen to Your Heart
Kasie West brings us another compelling read with “Listen...

5.0 (1)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until...

0.0 (0)
And She Was
Dara’s lived a sheltered life with her single mom,...

0.0 (0)
The God Gene Chronicles: The Secret of the Gods
Legend and lore lay the foundation for this exciting new...

0.0 (0)
Big Water
Seventeen-year-old Christina McBurney has led a sheltered life. But when...

0.0 (0)
Two schools: One of magic and science, the other focused...

0.0 (0)
The Kidult Handbook: From Blanket Forts to Capture the Flag, a Grownup's Guide to Playing Like a Kid
Adulting is hard! But “kidulting”— engaging in nostalgic childhood activities...

0.0 (0)
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World
Did you know that the blue whale could blow up...

0.0 (0)
Meant To Be Broken
Rayne Davidson is perfectly happy fading into the background. Her...

5.0 (3)
Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Skeleton Key (Alex Rider #3)

"This kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 4 hours it took me to read it......"
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"I must say, this was a big imporvement from Eagle Strike. I really didn't know what was going to happen..."

"Reader reviewed by Alex W. Alex Rider the 14 year old spy is back. He is on a..."
Necropolis (The Gatekeepers #4)

"Reader reviewed by Julie H. This series is perhaps a bit more suitable to a slightly older tween/teen than Horowitz's..."

"Reader reviewed by Tyler Skeleton Key book rocks. it is the thrid book in the alex rider seris and..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi I didn't know what to expect of this book when I began, but I must say,..."

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi Skeleton key was exciting, book-round. Not that a book is round. But I was pleased to..."

"Reader reviewed by Allyssa Not to confuse this book with a (different) movie or band. Alex Rider is back in..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by Emma L This book is almost ready to be made into a movie. It is action-packed and..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by joanne Out of all the Alex Rider books, I liked Scorpia the best. The excitement and power..."
Scorpia (Alex Rider #5)

"Reader reviewed by Arly I love this book. Alex has been unfairly treated by MI6. You can really identify with..."