Review Detail

Maybe In Paris Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Maybe In Paris

Keira Braidwood's whole dream is to go to Paris. She's saved for this event and has images of the French exchange student Jacques inviting her to go. The dream is shattered on Prom when Levi, her autistic brother, has a meltdown and the so-called 'cute' French guy shows his true colors. After Levi attempts suicide, Keira blames herself. Then when a doctor tells the family a fatalistic diagnosis of Levi, Keira has a thought that maybe if he comes with her to Paris, she can show everyone that her brother is okay. But once in Paris, Keira finds that maybe her brother might be as sick as the doctors have said. Can she overcome the wall that has divided them before it's too late?

What worked: I really loved this debut novel that is honest about the love between siblings which doesn't flinch at the hard times as well as the good ones. Keira blames herself for her brother's suicide attempt but also feels guilty that she has to give up things because of her brother's illness. There's flashbacks before her brother's 'breakdown' that are heartbreaking glimpses into the closeness these two shared.

When Keira goes to Paris, her idealist view of the city is in opposition to her brother's cynicism. Keira's feelings are real and raw. She battles between the feelings she has of the brother she used to know and the one that struggles with his illness. This is a strength of this novel.

I also loved Keira's coming of age journey as she travels through Paris. Readers get glimpses of the famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower and Versailles. There's even a hint of romance between Gable, a cute Scottish bass player that Keira meets.

Beautifully written coming of age story which doesn't flinch at the struggles between siblings but shows the power of unconditional love.

Good Points
1, Beautifully written tale of the power of love between siblings set in Paris
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Mother Cary's Butter Knife (Shadows & Light)
The smallest of three brothers, Keenan Mowat had a priceless...

0.0 (0)
A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
Did you know that the earth is covered in three...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique paintings...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San Francisco,...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another spellbinding...

0.0 (0)
The Temptation of Adam
Adam Hawthorne is fine. Yeah, his mother left, his...

0.0 (0)
Undiscovered Country
In the aftermath of her mother's death, Cat recklessly...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Significance

"If only i could save a hot guy from getting hit by a truck and suddenly be his soul mate,..."
Significance

"I seriously love this book to death. I probably couldn’t tell you how many times I have read and re-read..."
The Fallen Star (Volume 1)

"The Fallen Star is a book that will make you want to carry on reading. Its about a girl called..."
Flat-Out Love

"Flat-Out Love opens up with Julie heading off to college and arriving at what she thinks is her new apartment...."
What I Didn't Say

"I really don't have any reasonable reason to have not enjoyed this book. But something about it just didn't click..."
ReVamped

"Love this book i will give the cover and the book 5 out of 5. Every chapter takes you on..."
ReVamped

"Had enough of vampire books?! Well, let me throw ReVamped at you and say even if you’re sick of vampire..."
ReVamped

" So as we all know the vampire phenomenon has taken the world by storm and there are plenty of..."
Significance

"Love!"
Significance

"Does fate really exist? And if it does, then does magic exist? These are the questions Maggie Masters must answer..."
Remembrance

"(Source: Purchased from Amazon.co.uk for only 77p!) 16-year-old Lizzie has a great boyfriend, and a great best friend, but when..."
Remembrance

"Remembrance has a very interesting background. It was inspired by an artist's music video and burst into this book, which..."
ReVamped

"First, I want to thank the author, Ada Adams, and also Marian R., for an e-copy of the book… ..."
Good For You (Between The Lines #3)

JenJen
"Wow, just wow! Each book in this series is better than the one before! This is Dori and Reid's..."
Solid

"Solid was a mindlessly entertaining read, with a witty and sarcastic narrator who kept things on the lighter side with..."
What I Didn't Say

"This book wasn't the fluffy chick lit you think it would be, but it isn't quite as deep as you..."
Significance

" WOW! This is an AMAZING story. I got so caught up in it, I kept hiding from my responsibilities..."
What I Didn't Say

" Wow, I am on a roll with good contemporaries this month. This one is really an eye opener..."
What I Didn't Say

N/A
" You know those books that come along and at first they seem okay and maybe sort of hoakie and..."
ReVamped

"ISBN: 9781470068981 Publisher: Self/Indie Pages: 300 A simple mission turned deadly. Nineteen-year-old vampire Dawn has led a sheltered..."