Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Good for readers who love road trips

Dylan may have survived cancer, but surviving his mom is another matter. With a run-down home, his mother bored after taking advantage of his time sick, and unable to register for school, Dylan starts to drive. He finds himself at the home of Arden, the girl he’s been playing World of Warcraft with for years but never met in person. He proposes an epic, real-life quest, and before they know it, they’re on the road. But running away from problems doesn’t erase them, and as something blooms between Dylan and Arden, they both must face what they left behind if they want a future.

What I Loved:

Though the writing style may not work for some, I enjoyed the short, quick paragraphs and chapters. The page count is on the longer side, but the style made it all too easy to say “Just one more chapter,” and end up reading at least 5 more.

My favorite part of LOOKING FOR GROUP is the relationship between Arden and Dylan. Both are discovering new sides of themselves, the good and the not so good. Neither character lets the other get away with mistakes, and I love the way they stand up to each other while still showing how much they care. This is one couple with high ship-ability.

What Left Me Wanting More:

While the writing style is great and I love the relationship between Arden and Dylan, the plot fell a bit flat for me. I wasn’t particularly invested in the storyline, and even though there was a clear goal in mind for their quest, it lacked strong enough tension to make me eager to keep reading.

Final Verdict:

Though the plot didn’t keep me fully engaged, readers who love road trip stories and slow-building romances will likely find LOOKING FOR A GROUP a solid choice.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Words on Bathroom Walls
Adam has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He sees and...

0.0 (0)
Trell
On a hot summer night in the late 1980s, in...

0.0 (0)
The Ultimate Guide to Gardening (Craft It Yourself)
Full of how-to projects for any level of gardener, this...

0.0 (0)
This Darkness Mine
Sasha Stone knows her place—first-chair clarinet, top of her class,...

0.0 (0)
Right Where You Left Me
In search of the perfect story to put a human...

0.0 (0)
Lucky Broken Girl
Based on the author's childhood in the 1960s, a young...

0.0 (0)
Coming Up For Air
Swim. Eat. Shower. School. Snack. Swim. Swim. Swim. Dinner....

0.0 (0)
Our Broken Pieces
The only thing worse than having your boyfriend dump...

0.0 (0)
Landscape with Invisible Hand
National Book Award winner M. T. Anderson returns to...

0.0 (0)
The 12 Dares of Christa
Christa is a holiday junkie. What’s not to love?...

0.0 (0)
Invictus
Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The...

4.0 (1)
A Short History of the Girl Next Door
The unrequited love of the girl next door is...

0.0 (0)
Dear Martin
Justyce McAllister is top of his class and set for...

0.0 (0)
Come Home, Angus
Angus woke up mad and knew today was not his...

0.0 (0)
Rulers of the Playground
A stunning picture book about sharing, friendship, and kindness in...

0.0 (0)
June Sparrow and the Million Dollar Penny
June Sparrow and her best friend—a miniature pig named Indigo...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Words on Bathroom Walls

"While this read wasn't incredibly action-packed, there was something incredibly powerful in it. Adam is crazy. At least..."
Trell

"This book lives up to all it claims to be. Gripping and thrilling, indeed it was. I loved..."
Dodger

"Because I have to wait until a period of time where nothing can interrupt me as I read Terry’s books..."
Ketchup Clouds

"Written in a series of letters to a criminal on death row this book gave me mixed feelings. I don’t..."
This Darkness Mine

"Sasha Stone's life has been 'perfect'. She's top of her class and has the 'perfect' boyfriend. Everything seems almost too..."
The Scorch Trials

"While this wasn't quite as good as the first book in the series, it does a great job of continuing..."
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

"I liked it better when it was called "Battle Royale" (an older japanese movie) or The Long Walk by Stephen..."
Right Where You Left Me

"Right Where You Left Me’ is the story of Charlotte. Her mother is a Russian immigrate who works in the..."
Lucky Broken Girl

"‘Lucky Broken Girl’ is a middle-grade novel about a girl named Ruth. Ruth is growing up in 1960’s NYC. Her..."
Dear Martin

"Justyce is at the top of his class, captain of the debate team, and on track to attend a prestigious..."
A Court of Wings and Ruin

"Alright warning time. As with most books that I read, this has been labeled problematic. Though this one is completely..."
Wintersong

"This is going to be more like a rant/review than just a review. I am honestly proud that I finished..."
Enshadowed (Nevermore #2)

"First off... that freaking cliffhanger!? I can't even... I could not imagine having read this the year it came out..."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

" It's great! What I love the most is how dark and gritty the world felt. It was so cool..."
House of Night: Hunted

"So the Nerd Herd is now underground and hiding away from Kalona. Aphrodite and Stevie-Rae have imprinted, Stark is an..."
House of Night: Untamed

"So this one picks up right where the other left off and don't worry if you haven't read the others..."
House of Night: Chosen

"Zoey now knows that her old mentor is not what she claims to be. She's hiding something and doing things..."
House of Night: Betrayed

"This one picks up not far where Marked left off. Zoey is now in charge of the Daughters of Darkness...."
Roar (Stormheart #1)

N/A
"DNF PAGE 133 - I hate DNFing a book. I hardly ever do it. I personally feel like I'm giving..."
Truthers

"So, I've said before that for some reason I love conspiracy theories. Do I believe any of them? No. I..."