Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Photography fans, this is one to read!

I loved this book! This was one of those books you want to read slowly. You can take in all the details of the who's who as the plot builds up and then unfolds. You want to read a bit, put it down for a bit, savor it for a bit, and then return to the pages ready for more.

Blake's got a lot to juggle: he's got the hots for his girlfriend, a passion for photography, a friend (who's a girl) to have photo adventures with, an annoying older brother (who does redeem himself beautifully as the story unfolds), a dad with a gross job, a mom who is sometimes shirtless, but always good and kind.

With all this action in his life, his internal dialogue with himself is spot-on for a teenage boy and downright hilarious! When "Houston" goes silent, I couldn't help but to howl with laughter, as you know this 15-year-old is stranded and looking for answers...like how to figure out what you did wrong when your girlfriend is mad at you and you have NO IDEA why.

Madigan hits the mark with the quirkiness of a boy trying to find his way through high school, family, and relationships. The beauty of her writing is its clarity, but what really steals the show is how she keeps the book moving. By the end of the 2nd chapter, she has delivered the goods...and wow!

From a purple streak of hair recognized in a photo, Blake's life takes on a life of its own, and he's just trying to keep up with all the changes.

Good Points
Each chapter opens with a quote or tidbit on photography, which adds greater depth to the book as a whole. The book has just enough humor to keep the tension from getting too intense, but Madigan writes in a way that is compelling. I didn't want to put this down.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Teeth of the Gods
Chained to an enemy general. Determined to be free....

0.0 (0)
The Vampire Trick (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 3)
In a kingdom full of secrets, no one can...

0.0 (0)
I Am Alfonso Jones
Alfonso Jones can't wait to play the role of...

0.0 (0)
Unearthed
From the New York Times best-selling author duo Amie...

0.0 (0)
The Boyfriend Agreement
Fake boyfriends are hard work. When 16-year-old Bella’s dream...

0.0 (0)
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah have little in common...

0.0 (0)
Believarexic
Asking for help is only the first step. ...

0.0 (0)
Graveyard Shakes
Katia and Victoria are sisters and scholarship students at a...

0.0 (0)
This Tiny Perfect World
The big-hearted story of a small-town girl who discovers how...

0.0 (0)
The Last to Let Go
A twisted tragedy leaves Brooke and her siblings on their...

0.0 (0)
Pretty Dead Girls
Beautiful. Perfect. Dead. In the...

0.0 (0)
By a Charm and a Curse
A kiss is never just a kiss. ...

0.0 (0)
Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)
Booklist called Maresi “utterly satisfying and completely different from standard...

0.0 (0)
Blood Water Paint
Her mother died when she was twelve, and suddenly Artemisia...

0.0 (0)
Chausiku Nightmare of the Clans Book One
There are six secret clans across the world–Africa (Sakombi clan),...

0.0 (0)
Roar of the Thunder Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #8)
Pick a book. Grow a Reader! ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Graveyard Shakes

"All Victoria wants to do is fit in, but instead, her and her sister Katia are always being teased. It..."
Wedgie Gizmo #2: Wedgie Gizmo vs. the Toof

"Our friends are back after their exploits in Wedgie and Gizmo. Gizmo has settled in to life with his new..."
Olga and the Smelly Thing From Nowhere

"Olga loves animals of all kings, so when she finds one that looks like a cross between a potato and..."
Olga: We're Out of Here

" Olga and Meh are back after their exploits in Olga and the Smelly Thing From Nowhere. Olga..."
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals

"In this "Grow and Read" level two early reader book, the characters from Nocturnals World meet each other. Bismark is..."
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4

"Dawn, a fox; Tobin, a pangolin; and Bismark, an energetic sugar glider are all friends who have adventures. When there..."
Many Waters

"The Murray twins take the spotlight for the first time in this book, which actually seems to be taking place..."
A Wrinkle in Time (Time #1)

"“I don't understand it any more than you do, but one thing I've learned is that you don't have to..."
A Wind in the Door (Time #2)

"I sincerely think this book is better than the first one. (I suspect the 11-year release gap between book 1..."
A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time #3)

"Time-travel, evil dictators, Unicorns, and impending nuclear doom. Oh my! When you break it down to it’s basic parts,..."
Dragonfly Song

"Aissa is the first-born daughter of the Lady of an island, and as such she should be raised in a..."
Everything You Need to Know About NIGHTMARES! and How to Defeat Them: The Nightmares! Handbook

"In this companion to the Nightmares! trilogy, a hodgepodge of supplementary material is presented. There are pictures and descriptions of..."
Luna and the Lost Shell (Fairy Hill #2)

"Luna, Ruby and May are back, and this time the glow globes that are to be used to illuminate the..."
Ruby and the Magic Garden (Fairy Hill #1)

"Luna, Ruby and May are young fairies who live in Fairy Hill. They are learning magic and hope to get..."
The White Tower

"Livy has missed months of school because her best friend Mahalia died of leukemia. When her father is suddenly offered..."
Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After Special Edition)

"This had several interesting twists for this series. I did enjoy the fact that the difference between a fairy tale..."
The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes (The Adventurer's Guide #1)

"THE ADVENTURER’S GUIDE TO SUCCESSFUL ESCAPES follows Anne who has lived in Saint Lupin’s Institute for Perpetually Wicked and Hideously..."
Beyond the Doors

"When their dad falls into a coma and their mom is nowhere to be found, the Rothbaum siblings are forced..."
Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True

"In UNI THE UNICORN AND THE DREAM COME TRUE, magic is weakening amongst the unicorns because of the never-ending rain...."
Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales

"If you know me you know that I absolutely love retellings, so when I requested this book I was expecting..."