Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1266
The Fashion Committee
(Updated: June 22, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Charlie Dean is obsessed with fashion. When an opportunity to win a an art scholarship to a prestigious school comes up, she's in. Not even her less than stellar home life will stand in her way.

John-Thomas Smith could care less about fashion but wants to go to the prestigious art school. Even if that means he has to put together a fashion item to win.

What worked: Omg, I just loved this book so much. The voice is nothing short of amazing. Charlie Dean is ambitious, smart, funny, and determined. She needs these qualities to help her rise above her home life. Her dad though isn't the stereotypical 'mean' drug dad but one that loves Charlie. His addiction is at times a wedge between them. I LOVED the little 'Here's An Idea' quotes on each of Charlie's chapters. Readers get a glimpse into her obsession with fashion and also her humor.

LOVE.

John Thomas-Smith at first comes across as that kid who would roll his eyes at someone like Charlie. Readers though see another side of him when he doesn't give up but tries hard to actually put together a fashion item. Yes, he does have some weaknesses, but we also see his reaction to a tween being bullied at the salad place where he works at and how he reaches out to her.

I really loved the climax of the story which doesn't fall for the usual 'happily ever after' ending. Charlie's home life collides in what could be a tragic way but she ends up not backing down. That's what I loved about Charlie--she's a survivor. She's also someone I would have loved to hung with in high school. Her vulnerabilities make her strong.

Humorous and inspiring glimpse into a girl's attempt to win a scholarship to a prestigious art school. Her spunk and humor bely her less than stellar home life. Sure to resonate with readers and leave a smile on your face long after you finish the book.
Good Points
1. Amazing voice
2. Humorous and inspiring look into a girl and her attempt to win a scholarship to a prestigious art school
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Don't Date Rosa Santos

0.0 (0)
Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's...
Darknessontheedgeoftown.jpg

0.0 (0)
Chief Jim Hopper reveals long-awaited secrets to Eleven about...
My Ideal Boyfriend is a Croissant

0.0 (0)
This honest, laugh-out-loud novel brimming with body positivity, bite-sized...
Air Awakens

0.0 (0)
A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable...
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

0.0 (0)
Maia Tamarin dreams of becoming the greatest tailor in...
Girl Gone Ghost

0.0 (0)
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a serial killer...
Every Stolen Breath

5.0 (1)
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...
Cursed Beauty

0.0 (0)
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...
The C Word

0.0 (0)
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....
Aphelion

0.0 (0)
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...
Announcing Trouble

0.0 (0)
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...
Seneca Lake

0.0 (0)
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...
Freshman Witch

0.0 (0)
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...
Sarai and The Around The World Fair

0.0 (0)
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...
Of Beast and Beauty

0.0 (0)
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)

0.0 (0)
Meet the Peppers. Funny runs in the family....

Latest Member Reviews

The Season

"THE SEASON by Sarah MacLean is a YA historical fiction novel that centers around seventeen-year-old Alex, who is coming of..."
Overturned

"Top 3 reasons you need to read Overturned by Lamar Giles (and read the rest of his books while you're..."
Quarantine: A Love Story

"QUARANTINE is told in alternating perspectives between two teens, Oliver and Flora. They were each in the Dominican Republic for..."
Tell Me Everything

"TELL ME EVERYTHING follows Ivy, beginning the summer before her sophomore year. Ivy’s parents are ecologists, and her passion for..."
The Day Before (Riverdale Novel 1)

"Riverdale: The Day Before features the perspectives of the four main characters of season 1: Jughead, Archie, Betty, and Veronica...."
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)

"Danny has a violent streak, frequently pounding on his younger brother for pounding on another brother. His single father has..."
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)

"Snub is a young gorilla living in prehistoric times. She has a family that included Silverback, Brother, Wrinkle and Teased,..."
Exo
Exo

""Exo" is a really interesting YA sci-fi that follows a 17-year-old human a hundred years after Earth has been taken..."
Cross Fire

""Cross Fire" was a great sequel to Exo that wraps up all the major plotlines and possibilities. The zhree, an..."
All The Crooked Saints

"Loved this book from start to finish. Stiefvater was at her best with her prose here and the novel was..."
The Agony House

"Denise Farber and her mother and stepfather have moved back to New Orleans. Denise lost her grandmother and father to..."
The Lines We Cross

"Michael likes to hang with his friends. His parents are very active in speaking out against refugees settling in Australia...."
All The Crooked Saints

""All the Crooked Saints" is YA fiction with a heavy dose of magical realism. The Soria family lives in Bicho..."
Cross Fire

"Smart, well-paced, and intensely thought provoking. This series is on track to redefine sci-fi expectations for the YA genre. ..."
All The Crooked Saints

"Trust me when I say no one was more stunned than me when I enjoyed All the Crooked Saints. ..."
Dark Breaks the Dawn

"In DARK BREAKS THE DAWN, Evelayn is the future queen of the Light Kingdom. As expected, she must prepare for..."
And She Was

"If the authors intention was to help non-transgendered peoples understand transgendered people, I think that was accomplished. I..."
Restart

"Middle grade mystery with an amnesic twist—a friendship-centric tale of lost-and-found. Readers are introduced to a cruel boy..."
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

"i really loved this book, the plot and the characters. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the..."
It's Not Me, It's You

"'It's Not Me, It's You' by Stephanie Kate Strohm provides a unique and somewhat irregular look into the dynamics of..."