Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Gorgeous and Heartbreaking Book

Matt can’t control much of anything in his life. His dad left when he was a baby. His sister—his primary ally in teenagedom—has run away. His mom is working long hours and struggling to keep her job. Kids at school pick on him because he’s gay. And the school has identified him as at-risk and sent him to a psychiatrist. His life is pretty much a mess, and Matt is focusing on the two things that he thinks he can control—revenge on the boys he has decided are responsible for his sister, Maya, running away, and depriving his body of food.

Each chapter of THE ART OF STARVING starts with a rule, and the first couple of rules lay everything out pretty starkly: your body is your enemy, and starving yourself makes you stronger. Matt offers example after example of this as his story progresses… though you begin to realize as you read that Matt, though both charming and interesting, is far from a reliable narrator. Fortunately, we don’t need to be assured that he’s telling the truth about events when he’s giving us deep insights like “…every great revenge story is indistinguishable from a love story” and acknowledges that he’s writing for “boys in general, especially the lost lonely isolated ones, the boys with no one in their lives to teach them The Rules…”. My favorite of Matt’s rules, though, comes late in the book. Rule #44 says “Your mommy really can make everything better.”

THE ART OF STARVING is a gorgeous and heartbreaking book that had me saying “what the…?” while flipping pages so fast I barely cared about the answer to my own question. While dealing with all of his troubles, Matt’s search for love and acceptance moves beyond the specifics of his situation and speaks to every reader. The author of the book, Sam J. Miller, writes beautifully and weaves magical realism with an unreliable narrator in such a way that put me in a mode that was as uncomfortable and off balance as the book’s protagonist—but at the same time left me wanting to believe that all of Matt’s experiences were real.

This is a book that I’ll want to read and re-read in order to glean those beautiful and sometimes painful truths that the author has hidden in Matt’s story. My thanks to Sam J. Miller for a fantastic book, and to YA Books Central and the publisher for an advance copy of THE ART OF STARVING in exchange for my unbiased review.

Good Points
Beautifully written

Fascinating protagonist
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San...

0.0 (0)
Tracker's Canyon
Thanks to his dad’s coaching, sixteen-year-old Tristan is one...

0.0 (0)
Book of Fire
Life outside the domes is not possible. At least...

0.0 (0)
This Body Won't Break
The truth doesn’t always set you free. Orphaned as...

0.0 (0)
Gears of Fate
Centuries have passed since the Fey conquered Earth, forcing...

0.0 (0)
Mother Cary's Butter Knife (Shadows & Light)
The smallest of three brothers, Keenan Mowat had a priceless...

0.0 (0)
A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
Did you know that the earth is covered in three...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Alicia and the Light Bulb People in Star Factory 13
Where do light bulbs go when they burn out? ...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Echo After Echo

"WHAT I LOVED: Something tells me more than a few actresses could read this book and say afterwards "yep, some..."
Slider

"David is interested in competitive eating-- he can eat a pizza pretty quickly, and he's watched a lot of competitions..."
The Naming (Pellinor #1)

"Alison Croggon’s THE NAMING: BOOK ONE OF PELLINOR is a high fantasy tale that draws from and rivals some of..."
Trell

"This book lives up to all it claims to be. Gripping and thrilling, indeed it was. I loved..."
Landscape with Invisible Hand

"Aliens have invaded Earth and promise to share their technology. Of course most people are very excited about the idea..."
The Princess in Black Takes a Vacation

"The Princess in Black protects the people and the goats from monsters that come up from their underground home. She..."
Where's Waldo? 30th Anniversary Edition

"Where's Waldo is an iconic search and find activity book that has been entertaining people for 30 years. This 30th..."
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)

"This book was so unusual and satisfying in so many ways. Then there was the one bit - if you've..."
Just Friends

"Josh is into old movies, old music, and doesn't mind taking yoga classes with his best friend, Ramona. He also..."
42 Is Not Just a Number: The Odyssey of Jackie Robinson, American Hero

"Jackie Robinson was an exceptional man, and in 42 Is Not Just a Number, Doreen Rappaport shows readers why he..."
Double Cross: Deception Techniques in War

"From Biblical descriptions of battles (Gideon driving out the Midianites) to the siege of Troy and a variety of early..."
Brave Red, Smart Frog: A New Book of Old Tales

"BRAVE RED, SMART FROG has all of the old classics and are written in the way that the author would..."
The Cat Stole My Pants (Timmy Failure #6)

"Timmy finds himself in Key West, Florida, ostensibly on his mother's honeymoon. He doesn't believe she really married Doorman Dave,..."
Cody and the Rules of Life

"Cody's brother Wyatt has a new obsession-- a bicycle. Specifically, a very spiffy bike that he saves up a large..."
Dungeonology

"Intricately illustrated and concise in explanations, this primer is a gorgeous and interactive addition to any D&D fan's collection. ..."
Isaac The Alchemist: Secrets of Isaac Newton, Reveal'd

"Isaac The Alchemist is a very quiet book. Much like Isaac the boy. There is something powerful and inspiring about..."
Judy Moody and the Bucket List

"There’s a reason most people can say that they’ve read and loved Judy Moody’s books. She takes you on her..."
Merrow

"“Life is not fussy about where it grows, but it is set on doing so.” Writing this review won’t..."
The Catalyst

"The Catalyst is one of those rare, incredible books that happens to have a story as beautiful as the cover!..."
Phoenix

"A beautifully illustrated sci-fi fantasy (heavy on the fantasy), seemingly aimed at the younger side of the Middle Grade audience...."