Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

You Can See Why It's So Popular

The first book in the world famous The Mortal Instruments series the City of Bones definitely lives up the hype. Clary Fray must navigate the Shadow World, a world filled with magic and monsters that are hidden from the sight of average humans, when her mother is kidnapped. Rescued from a toothy demon by a handsome demon hunter Clary is brought into the world of the Shadowhunters, demon hunters and the police of the Shadow World.

Clary can see what others can't, witnessing a group of young Shadowhunters killing a demon in a busy club. She is shaken to her core by this but as time goes by she finds herself and her strength in a world that she final feels makes sense to her. It is revealed that Clary really has Shadowhunter blood. She feels lied to by her mother which she struggles with whilst trying desperately to rescue her.

Clary befriends the group of young Shadowhunters; Isabelle and Alec Lightwood and their adopted brother Jace Wayland. Clary and Jace are instantly drawn to each other much to Alec and Clary's best friend Simon's annoyance. But when a horrible truth is revealed they will be pulled part.

I love the mythology of the Shadowhunter world, from demon to witches and vampires. Downwolders are supernatural creatures such as werewolves, vampires and warlocks who are policed by the Shadowhunters and The Accords, a signed treaty between the Downworlders and Shadowhunters. It is really complex, always surprising with their rules and twists!

I loved his book and series! It has gore dropping twists and turns and amazing suspense. It's my favourite series, I'm truly a huge geek when it comes to the Shadowhunter world!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Kai's summer changes when she gets a summer internship at...

4.3 (1)
Zoe is just your average teenage girl expecting another average,...

0.0 (0)
Frango & Chicken
Some things seem impossible, but with the right attitude and...

0.0 (0)
Ruby Lane
Ruby is overexcited again, and her brain is spinning creative...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Ghost
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a...

0.0 (0)
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice
A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into...

0.0 (0)
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
From the critically acclaimed author of Waiting for Normal and...

0.0 (0)
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde
Texas: 1931. It’s the height of the Great Depression, and...

0.0 (0)
Voyage of the Dogs
SOS. Ship damaged. Human crew missing. We are...

0.0 (0)
Flying in a Cage
A song tugs inside me, like a string pulling...

0.0 (0)
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!
The energetic and zany duo Shorty and Clem are back,...

0.0 (0)
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find
If you want to keep kids happily busy for hours...

0.0 (0)
Strange New World
Dahlia 16's life is a lie. The city of...

0.0 (0)
Like Never And Always
Liv Burnham thinks nobody knows Morgan Frost like she...

0.0 (0)
The Outcasts- The Blood Dagger: Volume 1
Mystical relics. Powerful vampires. Strange allies. It's hell being...

0.0 (0)
Ascent (A Peak Marcello Adventure #3)
After conquering the mountains in Afghanistan, Peak Marcello goes...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice

"This is a collection of brief biographies of people who stood up and resisted injustices and tyranny. There's a little..."
A Place for Fish

"A PLACE FOR FISH teaches about different fish and creatures that live in the water and ways that people can..."
Now You Know How It Works

"NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS explains how certain things work, such as rubber balls, kites, garbage, flashlights, boats, and..."
Lovely Beasts

"LOVELY BEASTS teaches that animals you may believe to be scary, are actually not so bad and that there's so..."
I Wish I Was a Gorilla

"This level one reader introduces children to details about gorillas by asking what they would do if they WERE gorillas...."
More Deadly Than War: The Hidden History of the Spanish Flu and the First World War

"This well-illustrated book covers a vast amount of historical information concerning both World War I and the Spanish Flu Epidemic,..."
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."
Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race

"“… with hard work, perseverance, and a love of math, anything was possible.” Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson,..."
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

"“Women and girls have been sharing things up for a long time, resisting those who would box them in.” ..."
What's So Special About Shakespeare?

"This book is the perfect way to introduce to children who Shakespeare is. It opens up with what you might've..."
Voices from the Second World War: Stories of War as Told to Children of Today

"First News (https://www.firstnews.co.uk/) is a newspaper for children published in Great Britain, roughly akin to Scholastic News, but it seems..."
Mix and Match Silly Sentences

"Silly Sentences is fun and entertaining interactive game to play with your child as they are just beginning to learn..."
Awesome Women Who Changed History: Paper Dolls

"From Queen Elizabeth II to Joni Mitchell, this collection of colorful paper dolls features a wide spectrum of trailblazers from..."
1,000 Facts about the White House

"'1,000 Facts about the White House' by Sarah Wassner Flynn is definitely worth reading. From facts about why the rooms..."
Lost in the Amazon (Lost #3): A Battle for Survival in the Heart of the Rainforest

"Airline travel is generally safe, right? Juliane Koepcke is more concerned about being able to get home in time..."
CoderDojo Nano: Make Your Own Game: Create with Code

"This book provides clear and precise instructions for creating a video game. While I have coded in the past, I..."
Who Would Win?: Battle Royale

"WHO WOULD WIN?: BATTLE ROYALE includes five books in one. It has the Killer Whale vs. the Great White Shark,..."
History's Mysteries: Curious Clues, Cold Cases, and Puzzles From the Past

"HISTORY'S MYSTERIES includes fascinating details, facts, and pictures of some of the world's biggest mysteries. Kitson Jazynka words everything so..."
Bad Princess: True Tales from Behind the Tiara

"I'm a huge British royalty fan. What's great about BAD PRINCESS is the author shares great insights into the lives..."
Farm (LEGO Nonfiction): A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"This is a fun learning tool. Life on the farm has many moving parts. This book takes the..."