Review Detail

The Wonder of Us Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A beautiful love story to friends

THE WONDER OF US is a beautifully told story about friendship and what it means to love someone. Riya and Abby have been best friends their entire life, but after Riya’s entire family moves to Germany for the year, Riya and Abby begin to grow apart. They aren’t talking, they’ve both been keeping secrets, Riya’s hoping the epic adventure she plans for the both of them will help bridge the gap and allow them both to heal.

What I liked:

For those of you who don’t know me, I LOVE stories about female friendship. I love stories about women being kind and looking out for each other. I love friendships that build each other up not tear each other down. THE WONDER OF US is a beautiful story about the power of friendship, and what it means to be there for someone. With a beautiful backdrop of Italy, Germany, London, and many more places, I couldn’t help but just fall into this book and the story.

Riya and Abby were both characters I instantly liked. Riya is outgoing and dramatic, while Abby is pragmatic and predictable. But despite their differences, they’re best friends and they make sense. Riya is able to make Abby take more risks, while Abby is Riya’s rock and safe place. They care so deeply for each other and through every adventure, and fight they have, you can really see how much they don’t want to lose one another. My favorite thing about this book was that, while there is flirting and boys, the main focus is Abby and Riya’s friendship. It’s a book about how sometimes your soulmates, your true loves are your best friend. Things change and time moves on but some things are worth fighting for. And Abby and Riya is a friendship worth fighting for.

Another thing that got me hooked was the setting or settings. Places like Italy, Germany, Scotland there were so many amazing places mentioned in this book and along with Abby’s interesting tidbits about the sights they visited, this book had me craving an adventure of my own. All that history and beauty in these places I would just love to get to experience it on my own. So be warned reading this book will cause a major case of wanderlust! But it’s worth it, to get beautiful landscapes mixed with a great story about friendship.

Culbertson gives us amazing characters who pop off the page, and who make you feel every emotion they’re having. She brings to life the cities and the breathtaking sights of every place visited. She brings you to tears with Abby and Riya’s complete honesty throughout their trip. But most of all she makes you realize how important best friends are. They’re there for you no matter what and they have your back through all the bad stuff that happens throughout your life. I fell in love with this novel and these characters and I would highly recommend this book to someone who is looking for a best friend love story.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice
A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into...

0.0 (0)
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
From the critically acclaimed author of Waiting for Normal and...

0.0 (0)
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde
Texas: 1931. It’s the height of the Great Depression, and...

0.0 (0)
Voyage of the Dogs
SOS. Ship damaged. Human crew missing. We are...

0.0 (0)
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!
The energetic and zany duo Shorty and Clem are back,...

0.0 (0)
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find
If you want to keep kids happily busy for hours...

0.0 (0)
Strange New World
Dahlia 16's life is a lie. The city of...

0.0 (0)
Like Never And Always
Liv Burnham thinks nobody knows Morgan Frost like she...

0.0 (0)
The Outcasts- The Blood Dagger: Volume 1
Mystical relics. Powerful vampires. Strange allies. It's hell being...

0.0 (0)
Ascent (A Peak Marcello Adventure #3)
After conquering the mountains in Afghanistan, Peak Marcello goes...

0.0 (0)
Here to Stay
For most of high school, Bijan Majidi has flown under...

0.0 (0)
Hiding Lies
At Holden Prep, dirty little secrets always have a way...

0.0 (0)
We, The Lucky Few
"Each time I think this night reaches its lowest...

0.0 (0)
The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)
The formerly glorious god Apollo, cast down to earth...

0.0 (0)
Meg has it made. She has money to spare, attends...

0.0 (0)
The Red Ribbon
Shining a light on a little-known aspect of the Holocaust,...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Funny Kid #2: Stand Up

"After his attempts to run for class president in Funny Kid for President, Max has decided that his identity is..."
Welcome to Wonderland #3: Sandapalooza Shake-Up

"P.T. and Gloria have saved the Wonderland Motel, and now because of the celebrity tie-in with the Surf Monkey movie,..."
Little White Lies

"LITTLE WHITE LIES by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a novel mashup of Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars set in..."
The Harlem Charade

"Jin's grandparents own a bodega in Harlem, and she likes to watch people from her out-of-the-way quiet nook and write..."
Bow Wow: A Bowser and Birdie Novel (#3)

"Birdie and her dog Bowser are going about their lives, working in their grandmother's small shop and looking for any..."
Denis Ever After

"Denis died when he was 7, and he's getting along just fine in Port Haven--the place where souls hang out..."
Ruby Redfort: Blink and You Die (Ruby Redfort #6)

"Ruby's parents are in France, and Ruby is back from Genius Camp and Mrs. Digby back from a convenient cruise...."
Scream and Scream Again

"Scary short stories seem to be perennially popular, and not just around Halloween! This newest collection edited by R.L. Stine..."
Remy Sneakers and the Lost Treasure (Remy Sneakers #2)

"Someone has broken into Remy's house and stolen his notebook, so he gathers his Critter Crew to try to find..."
Whathisface

"Cooper Vega is used to moving a lot with his parents' jobs, but it still gets old being "what's his..."
Don't Look Back

""Don't Look Back" is a one-off thriller from Jennifer L. Armentrout. It begins with Samantha appearing bloody and beat up..."
FREEKS

""Freeks" is a captivating paranormal mystery. Mara has lived all her life with a circus, traveling from one place to..."
Pretty Dead Girls

""Pretty Dead Girls" was an interesting YA thriller following Penelope (Pen/Penny) in the aftermath of a death of a frenemy,..."
Wicked Charm

""Wicked Charm" is a YA instalove romance with a hint of murder-mystery. Willow has moved to the swamps where her..."
Chasing Truth (Eleanor Ames, #1)

"In "Chasing Truth," Eleanor (Ellie) Ames is running from a past she can't escape. After turning FBI informant on her..."
The Sin Eater's Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter #1)

""The Sin Eater's Daughter" takes place in the kingdom of Lormere, which is ruled by inbred royalty who are closest..."
Black Bird of the Gallows

""Black Bird of the Gallows" is a truly unique and enthralling YA paranormal romance. Angie has had a tough life...."
Lies That Bind

""Lies That Bind" is a great sequel in the Anastasia Phoenix series. While the first book had a lot of..."
Atlantis Rising

"“Atlantis Rising” was a surprising paranormal YA hit! I wasn’t sure if I would like it, but I ended up..."
Project Pandora (An Assassin Fall novel)

"“Project Pandora” is a really intense and creative YA sci-fi/thriller. We follow four teenagers who are all part of Project..."