Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: April 20, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Forward Into Darkness

Valencia Paine is confined to her house, away from the growing unrest outside. Her father is a scientist who plays a huge part in the creation of hybrids. Valencia refuses to stay hidden and sneaks out where she runs into Mateo, someone who has personal ties to the hybirds and the growing resistance. Valencia finds herself drawn into this world but her father has other plans. He plans on her marrying Henri, a rising star in the current regime. This only makes Valencia more determined to find the truth and what part of it affects her personally.

What worked: Loved this new fantasy series by Marlene Perez. Think YA meets The Island of Dr. Moreau with a forbidden love story. In Sombria, the regime holds power over all including the hybrids who are are often treated with contempt and worse. Valencia knows her father has a part in creating hybrids but doesn't know the real extend of what goes behind the closed doors of his lab. Valencia has been sheltered but this doesn't stop the questions she has. She's determined, strong-willed, and courageous in facing down her father and others who try to hold the truth from her.

Mateo is the mysterious boy, Valencia feels a strong connection to. Their relationship grows even through his history is filled with secrets. Through Mateo, readers get glimpses of the world of the hybrids outside the walls of Sombria. The cruelty that is shown to them is shown in many scenes, especially one where a 'kralle' ball is fire bombed.

Henri isn't the stereotypical 'villain' but has his own secrets. I like how there's gray areas with not only his actions but others in this story as well. Readers see the extremes when Valencia is around him and his family.

The biggest character has to be the setting of Sombria. The world is shown in extreme contrasts. There's those who have favor in the regime, which includes Valencia's father, stepmother, and sister. Then there's those who live outside of the tower. These include the dreaded hybrids who were created during a plague by combining animal and human matter to save lives. They are shunned by those who didn't succumb to the plague. Perez starts the story right off by shown the brutality of the regime against the hybrids.

Gripping tale set in a fantasy world where a girl sets out to find the truth about herself no matter the cost.

Good Points
1. Amazing worldbuilding
2. YA meets The Island of Dr. Moreau
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

I am Alex Hunt, daughter of the famous Archaeological Hunt...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Simon Barnacle is falling apart. Literally. His body is...

0.0 (0)
Serafina and the Splintered Heart
The storms are coming... Something has happened to Serafina. She...

5.0 (1)
The Little Book of Little Activists
A celebration of political activism by America's youngest citizens--our children....

0.0 (0)
Together at Midnight
What does it really mean to be kind . ....

0.0 (0)
Fuecho Y Pablo
Pablo's attempt to get his best friend Ugly Cat a...

0.0 (0)
Little i
A charming, suspenseful, and wholly original picture book about the...

0.0 (0)
Dragonfly Song
The girl has had many selves in her short life....

0.0 (0)
Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over
For fans of PostSecret, Humans of New York, and If...

0.0 (0)
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
An East Asian fantasy reimagining of The Evil Queen legend...

0.0 (0)
Murder Among the Stars
After being framed for attempted murder, Lulu Kelly has...

0.0 (0)
Christmas Stories
Join the original pioneer girl in this Little House chapter...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her...

0.0 (0)
Enhanced
Seventeen-year-old Mana has found and rescued her mother, but...

0.0 (0)
DC Super Heroes World's Greatest Jokes: Featuring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and more!
Hundreds of laugh-out-loud jokes featuring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and...

0.0 (0)
Squishy Taylor and the Bonus Sisters
Why does Squishy have to share everything with her new...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

It's Kind of a Funny Story

"A mature contemporary YA, set in New York City. The story is told in first-person present-tense, exclusively from the perspective..."
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack #1)

"This first-person present-tense piece of historical YA fiction begins a bit like a Charles Dicken’s work—eighteenth-century London, poor destitute orphan,..."
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)

"This one took a while to get into. I didn't warm much to Grace. She didn't seem to have much..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
Tiger Eyes

"4.5 Stars A great and emotional read. A young teenage girl; Davey struggles with the loss of her father..."
The Lonely Hearts Club

" 4.5 Stars! This was a fun and sweet read. Definitely for fans of contemporary ya books. Penny Lane..."
The Lonely Hearts Club

"4.5 Stars! This was a fun and sweet read. Definitely for fans of contemporary ya books. Penny Lane is..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things..."

"The Deathday Letter by Shaun David Hutchinson is a young adult standalone novel. This is not the first book by..."

"Nick O’Leary, the straight bass player in queercore punk band, is playing at a club in downtown Manhattan when he..."

"This is not one of my favorite books, it's a bit too sad for me. I will say that this..."
Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1)

"When I first read this book in 2010 I hated it. I thought it was overrated and boring. It also..."
The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires #2)

"This installment starts right where Glass Houses ended, which is great because now we have no time lapse to try..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I love this series more than life itself. Georgia is hilarious and someone we can all relate to. Non-stop..."

"As the title suggests The Diary of a Part-Time Indian is written in a first person episodic diary format. The..."

"This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/2016/12/summer-by-jeff-mariotte.html Kerry is far away from home, working a summer job..."
The Sleeper and the Spindle

"The Sleeper and the Spindle is a short illustrated novel by renowned genius Neil Gaiman that spins a clever twist..."

"The plot in itself made me curious to read it. And the story itself gave me a roller coaster ride...."

"Stargirl is short, sweet, and it makes you look at the world in a whole new way. Everyone should read..."