Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Vigilante

This story's strength and focus is female empowerment, and while I am always here for female togetherness--the lack of realism in this novel dragged down an otherwise decent read.

Hadley's best friend is dead. She committed suicide after battling the after effects of being raped. After being sexually assaulted by the school's popular boys--she was slut shamed and took her own life as a result.

Hadley is not taking it lying down--and after a chance opportunity to get one of the guys back--she sets herself on a plan of revenge.

This is where the book started to lose me.

Let me explain.

Hadley's plan for revenge seemed to lose focus along the way, and became a movement she wasn't ready for.

What really threw the story off for me, was the fact that there were multiple public instances where women were physical (and almost sexually) assaulted, and Hadley, happened to only be a step away, pink mask in hand.

I didn't find it to be realistic. Once or twice, okay--but multiple times just seemed--like forced action, seeking real emotions. It wasn't believable, and, neither was the MC.

She came off as unrealistic. Her actions betrayed her emotions. But by the end, even though I didn't necessarily care for her, I agreed with her initial mission and the outcome of it.

I think a lot of women and girls will feel empowered and uplifted by the female empowerment aspect of this story. There was major girl power, and I think readers will appreciate that.

But, if you're like me, there will be some things that will set you back--the unrealistic instances, and Hadley's flat and almost life-less personality. I didn't buy a lot of the way she was. She was often crass when I felt like she didn't need to be, and she comes off as trying to be something she wasn't.

And the romance, the romance was dry at best. It was two people, two saddened people--who clearly needed help--psychiatric help--clinging to each other because it made sense. Maybe, it was easy. Maybe, they really did like each other, but the lack of sparks and depth made for a dull romance.

As a whole, the book is pretty...okay. It has the things that worked for it, and things that didn't.

I'd recommend it to readers who love girls who kick literal butt, and may not necessarily care about the rest of it.

Good Points
Female Empowerment
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Loneliest Girl in The Universe
A surprising and gripping sci-fi thriller with a killer twist...

0.0 (0)
Dragon-Slayers_Low Res.jpg
A reverse harem with a powerful magical heroine, a mystery...

0.0 (0)
Fire and Fairies by Kristin D Van Risseghem low resolution.jpg
Forbidden love. Agony. Heartbreak. Sidelle never wanted...

0.0 (0)
Obsidio (The Illuminae Files #3)
Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their...

0.0 (0)
I've always been the prey. All Seventeen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Ignited (Dance of the Elements, #1)
A NOBLE DAUGHTER. A FORMER SLAVE. SCORCHED EARTH AND...

0.0 (0)
Royals
Meet Daisy Winters. She’s an offbeat sixteen-year-old Floridian with...

0.0 (0)
SoulCatchers_600x900.jpg
Whoever kills the wolf becomes the wolf… ...

0.0 (0)
Bring Me Their Hearts
Zera is a Heartless – the immortal, unageing soldier...

5.0 (1)
The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik
This is Noah Oakman → sixteen, Bowie believer, concise...

3.7 (1)
Playing Her Secret Crush
All her life, Katie has been chosen last for everything:...

0.0 (0)
The Princess of Windswept (#1)
Danni is a normal teenage girl until she gets an...

0.0 (0)
Milla Takes Charge (Disney: Daring Dreamers Club #1)
Milla loves nothing more than imagining grand adventures in the...

4.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
The House of One Thousand Eyes
Who can Lena trust to help her find out the...

4.7 (1)
Where I Found You (Sea)
After her mother's plane went missing over the Indian Ocean,...

0.0 (0)
Classes are Canceled
This series is part of Scholastic's early...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Invisible Ghosts

"INVISIBLE GHOSTS was not what a book that I was expecting but one that I quite enjoyed. Rose has always..."
Forgive My Fins (Fins #1)

" Review Found At: literarychaos.com One of the first things I noticed about this book is that..."
The 11:11 Wish

"'The 11:11 Wish' by Kim Tomsic basks in the power of the unthinkable, yet totally imaginable. Every young person (and..."
Honor Among Thieves

"Kara lives on the streets of New Detroit, where a pickpocket job goes terribly wrong. She finds herself running ..."
Divergent (Divergent #1)

"Divergent is one of my favourite books of all time. The story is about a girl named Tris who must..."
16 Ways to Break A Heart

"An intensely real story about two people whose love turned to destruction. The story: Natalie and Dan had a..."
The Memory Trees

"THE MEMORY TREES by Kali Wallace is a beautiful new book about family, loss, and how the past infuses the..."
This Darkness Mine

"Sasha Stone's life has been 'perfect'. She's top of her class and has the 'perfect' boyfriend. Everything seems almost too..."
Before She Ignites

"I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this book. I had heard it was political and had lots of..."
Ronit and Jamil

"Ronit & Jamil has been a wonderful ride. It actually surprised me that it was written in prose. but then..."
The 12 Dares of Christa

"'The 12 Dares of Christa' by Marissa Burt is a sweet story of friendship, determination, strength, and forgiveness. Main character..."
11 Before 12

"'11 Before 12' by Lisa Greenwald will put you right back in that time of your life when everything mattered..."
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

"What can I say that hasn't already been said about this magnificent book? The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue..."

" The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a remarkable, witty, and outstanding adventure..."

"THE GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE follows Henry “Monty” Montague as he takes his grand tour across Europe with..."
Deacon Locke Went to Prom

"'Deacon Locke Went to Prom' by Brian Katcher was different in many ways from many young adult novels. Even though..."
16 Ways to Break A Heart

"At the beginning of their relationship, Natalie and Dan had a great connection but later this dissolves into fights and..."
Divergent (Divergent #1)

"In this dystopian world sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior, Tris, must find where she fits into society. However, when she fails to..."
Romancing The Throne

"Charlotte is beyond excited when her older sis Libby ends up enrolling at her Sussex Park boarding school. Charlotte hangs..."
#famous

"WHAT I LIKED: I quite enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't the first book I read that dealt with..."