Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Funny with a Mean Streak

I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things like “hilarious” or “pee-your-pants funny” or whatever, and you buy it like that and then open it to see what you bought! It’s so fun! (If you already have it, you can exchange it right away, so it’s a much better deal than your usual blind date ha ha!)

Georgia is 14. She lives in Great Britain and has all kinds of misadventures like dressing up as an olive for a party and wrestling her own rather terrifying house cat. She’s very funny most of the time, but sometimes she’s kind of mean so I didn’t always sympathize with her.

This is the first book in the series–copyright 1999–so it’s a bit dated now. For example, the main character asks a million questions but never Googles anything. Clearly not a modern teenager. (Clearly not a modern anything.)

Still, it’s a light, quick read, structured like a diary which adds to the humor–at 6:00 she might say she’s never speaking to someone again, and then at 6:02 she calls them. I just wish Georgia’s sense of humor was a bit less mean–and I wish her view of the world was a bit more inclusive–but that’s realistic I suppose.

I wished that about most 14-year-olds even when I was 14 myself.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique paintings...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San Francisco,...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another spellbinding...

0.0 (0)
The Temptation of Adam
Adam Hawthorne is fine. Yeah, his mother left, his...

0.0 (0)
Undiscovered Country
In the aftermath of her mother's death, Cat recklessly...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils...

0.0 (0)
The Emerald Circus
Where is Wendy? Leading a labor strike against the...

0.0 (0)
32718027.jpg
Step into The City of Brass, the spellbinding debut...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Olive and the Backstage Ghost

"OLIVE AND THE BACKSTAGE GHOST is a middle grade horror/ghost story that is full of suspense. Olive loves to sing,..."
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3)

"I didn't enjoy this series very much. The daemons (souls that look like animals) but it changed drastically in the..."
Poison's Kiss

""A teenage assassin kills with a single kiss.... Until she is ordered to kill the one boy she loves." ..."
Angels in the Dark

"List of all 7 stories: What Happened to Trevor Arriane's Day Out Daniel in L.A. Miles in the Dark..."

"June isn't happy that her mother has chosen to move out into the country, especially since she has arranged for..."
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

"Nine-year-old Bruno is growing up in Berlin during World War II. After Bruno’s father is promoted to a Commandant, he..."
Puppy Pirates #3: Catnapped!

"Okay, this is incredibly adorable and so creative! I didn’t think a book about dogs could get any more..."
The Chocolate War

"Jerry Renault, is a freshmen at Trinity, a Catholic high school for boys. He is a quiet and reserved student,..."
These Shallow Graves

"This is for those who are into Historical Fiction, centering on the 19th century. It's close to the time of..."
Alive

"The author and publisher of Alive requested that the bloggers chosen to review the book not reveal too much information..."
I Know What You Did Last Summer

"Four high school students, Julie, Helen, Barry and Ray are returning from a party when they accidentally hit a young..."
Alive

" "Don't base reality on what you have seen when you have seen very little." If you’re a..."
Deception's Pawn (Deception's Princess #2)

"In this sequel to Deception's Princess, Maeve, the favorite daughter of the evil High King is being fostered at Dun..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"The Inheritance Cycle certainly has a lot of pros and cons. But I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons...."
The Things They Carried

" "They carried all they could bear, and then some, including a silent awe for the terrible power of..."
Wonder

"Wonder quickly become of my favorite reads, not only of this year but of all times and it’s easy to..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"The story of Eragon is that of a so-named impoverished farm boy from an insignificant village somewhere in a vast,..."
The City of Ember (Book of Ember #1)

"When I first picked the book up, I thought, "oh no, did I really just buy this?" BUT... I opened..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"Eragon by Christopher Paolini is a magical book and absorbs you in this wonderful world of magic and dragons. ..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"I'm a sucker for dragons, I have to admit. The very idea of them is irresistible to me, so my..."