Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Funny with a Mean Streak

I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things like “hilarious” or “pee-your-pants funny” or whatever, and you buy it like that and then open it to see what you bought! It’s so fun! (If you already have it, you can exchange it right away, so it’s a much better deal than your usual blind date ha ha!)

Georgia is 14. She lives in Great Britain and has all kinds of misadventures like dressing up as an olive for a party and wrestling her own rather terrifying house cat. She’s very funny most of the time, but sometimes she’s kind of mean so I didn’t always sympathize with her.

This is the first book in the series–copyright 1999–so it’s a bit dated now. For example, the main character asks a million questions but never Googles anything. Clearly not a modern teenager. (Clearly not a modern anything.)

Still, it’s a light, quick read, structured like a diary which adds to the humor–at 6:00 she might say she’s never speaking to someone again, and then at 6:02 she calls them. I just wish Georgia’s sense of humor was a bit less mean–and I wish her view of the world was a bit more inclusive–but that’s realistic I suppose.

I wished that about most 14-year-olds even when I was 14 myself.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Princess Clara thought she knew the main threat to her...

0.0 (0)
Just Friends
High school senior, Mitch Houser, is thrilled to have multiple...

0.0 (0)
Three years ago, Samantha Gray killed her parents. ...

0.0 (0)
What’s a pirate without her crew? Abandoned...

0.0 (0)
DDay.jpg
The WWII invasion known as D-Day was the largest military...

0.0 (0)
Louisiana'sWayHome.jpg
When Louisiana Elefante’s granny wakes her up in the middle...

0.0 (0)
Dr. E's Super Stellar Solar System: Massive Mountains! Supersize Storms! Alien Atmospheres!
Take to the skies with planetary geologist Dr. E and...

0.0 (0)
Astronaut Aquanaut: How Space Science and Sea Science Interact
Journey from the deepest trenches in the oceans to the...

0.0 (0)
Wounded Magic (Conspiracy of Magic #2)
Magic can heal the fiercest wounds... or cut them even...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A BATTLE...

0.0 (0)
The war has only just begun… The...

0.0 (0)
It takes a special kind of magic to hide in...

0.0 (0)
Magic awakens. Darkness stirs. The Wraith Lord hunts. ...

0.0 (0)
ow much wizard power is too much? Some people...

0.0 (0)
For Your Ears Only
Retrieve the files. Save the world. Seventeen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Reactive: A YA Dystopian Romance (The Elite Trials Book 1)
AN INESCAPABLE CITY. THREE DEADLY TRIALS. ONE WAY OUT. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)

"Wyatt has a decent life, but when his dad takes off, it dissolves into chaos. His mother doesn't function well,..."
Missing Pieces (Hello Neighbor #1)

"Nicky's family moves around a lot, and he gets tired of having to adjust to new towns, new schools, and..."
Super Rabbit Racers!: A Branches Book (Press Start! #3)

"In this story, Chris joins Sunny and Rue for a few friendly rounds of Rabbit Racers. (He’s never played before,..."
Ready Player One

"I enjoyed this story it kept me entertained. I enjoyed the characters and ending."

"Ali-A, Clare, and their dog Eevee are attending a launch party for the game Alien Liberator 2. Ali-A gets ready..."
Cosmic Commandos

" Twins Jeremy and Justin, while identical, couldn't be more different. Jeremy is devoted to video games, disorganized, and mean..."
King of the Bench: Control Freak

"In No Fear, Steve warms the bench for baseball, he gets roped into being on the football team. He has..."
Yo-Kai Watch: The Misadventures of Jibanyan

"A fantastic little book for fans of the Yo-Kai Watch animated series and games! This chapter book follows..."
Ready Player One

"I have to say that I think this will be a must read for everyone although I think that those..."
Yo-Kai Watch: Official Guide

"All fans of the Yo-Kai Watch world must have this great guide to the world of yo-kai! A..."
Insert Coin to Continue

"Bryan and his friend Oz have a boringly normal life are a little obsessed with the Sovereign of Darkness video..."
Yo-Kai Are Real

N/A
"Nate just wants to get a really cool bug to impress his friends, but when he gets lost in the..."
Pokemon: Kalos Essential Activity Book

"Have you ever wanted to be the very best? Determined to catch 'em all and become a Pokemon Master? Then..."
Slacker

"Cameron lives to play video games, but when he is so concentrated on one that he doesn't take a casserole..."
Josh Baxter Levels Up

"Josh's mother has moved him and his sister yet again for her job, because it's been difficult finding employment after..."
The Leveller

"Virtual reality. An interesting main character. A war in a (sort-of fake) world. S.J. Kincaid's INSIGNIA is similar to THE..."
The Leveller

" “Nixy Bauer, Home in an Hour.” One needn’t be a gamer to appreciate the fast-paced, adventurous romp..."
The Nerdy Dozen: Close Encounters of the Nerd Kind

"I have a major book crush on The Nerdy Dozen. Such a fun book! Close Encounters of the Nerd Kind..."
The Calling (Endgame #1)

"This book strongly reminded me of the Hunger Games in the way that it's a survival game, only this game..."
The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine #1)

"Michael, Sarah and Bryson don't know each other in real life, but meet frequently on the VirtNet, the method of..."