Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Funny with a Mean Streak

I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things like “hilarious” or “pee-your-pants funny” or whatever, and you buy it like that and then open it to see what you bought! It’s so fun! (If you already have it, you can exchange it right away, so it’s a much better deal than your usual blind date ha ha!)

Georgia is 14. She lives in Great Britain and has all kinds of misadventures like dressing up as an olive for a party and wrestling her own rather terrifying house cat. She’s very funny most of the time, but sometimes she’s kind of mean so I didn’t always sympathize with her.

This is the first book in the series–copyright 1999–so it’s a bit dated now. For example, the main character asks a million questions but never Googles anything. Clearly not a modern teenager. (Clearly not a modern anything.)

Still, it’s a light, quick read, structured like a diary which adds to the humor–at 6:00 she might say she’s never speaking to someone again, and then at 6:02 she calls them. I just wish Georgia’s sense of humor was a bit less mean–and I wish her view of the world was a bit more inclusive–but that’s realistic I suppose.

I wished that about most 14-year-olds even when I was 14 myself.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)
Finding-Elora.jpg
High school’s a whole new ballgame. Elora used...

0.0 (0)
Deadly Exodus
Their love is forbidden…their lives in danger… ...

0.0 (0)
Front Cover
Join Clementine on a Winter Adventure in the Great Outdoors!...

0.0 (0)
Front cover
Growing up as a biracial child, Maggy Williams had three...

0.0 (0)
hanna_final.jpg
Inspired by real Holocaust events, this poignant debut novel is...

0.0 (0)
51MO7YjcihL.jpg
Twins Finn and Eric’s peaceful lives are turned upside down...

0.0 (0)
Super Rabbit Racers!: A Branches Book (Press Start! #3)
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
Original Syn
Fifty years after the Singularity, the world is divided into...

5.0 (1)
What I Leave Behind
After his dad commits suicide, Will tries to overcome...

0.0 (0)
Friends for Life
A timeless and uplifting book about friendship, filled with...

0.0 (0)
Frat Girl
College life can be complicated—challenging, rewarding, downright frustrating—and a...

4.0 (1)
After the power grid goes down and the death of...

0.0 (0)
We Are All That's Left
Two lives. Two worlds apart. One deeply compelling story...

0.0 (0)
The Trail Rules_BN_1400x926.jpg
Junior year’s looking up for sixteen-year old Mike. Her...

4.6 (2)

0.0 (0)
Make it Count
Casey’s touch can reveal the one thing a person...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

We Are All That's Left

" Zara feels shut off from her Bosnian born mother. She knows that her mother survived some..."
The Night Circus

"The Night Circus was an enchanting, mind-boggling story that enraptured me. It was confusing, lovely, frightening, elusive, all at once...."
Among the Red Stars

"Among the Red Stars by Gwen C. Katz is the WWII feminist book you didn’t know you needed. Inspired by..."
Dread Nation (Dread Nation #1)

"What a read. This book grabs you in a choke hold, and does not let go until the very last..."
The Last Grand Adventure

"Bea's parents are divorced, her father remarried, and her mother taking advantage of the social upheaval of 1967 to travel..."
One True Way

"In 1977, Allie and her mother move from New Jersey to the South. Grieving over the death of her brother..."
Julius Zebra: Battle with the Britons! (Julius Zebra #2)

"Julius and his companions are back after Rumble with the Romans, since Hadrian has not given them their freedom as..."
My Brigadista Year

"Lora's family is poor, but has a decent life in Havana in the late 1950s. Lora wants desperately to go..."
The Bone Sparrow

"Subhi is a refugee. Born in an Australian permanent detention center after his mother and sister fled the violence of..."
My Name is Victoria

"Intriguing 'what if' look into what might have happened if Sir John Conway's daughter wasn't an enemy, but dear friend..."
Another Quest for Celeste

"ANOTHER QUEST FOR CELESTE is told from the point of view of a mouse named Celeste. One day, she gets..."
Miguel's Brave Knight: Young Cervantes and His Dream of Don Quixote

"Using poems, the author takes you through what a day in Miguel de Cervantes shoes might've been like. His dad..."
Whistling in the Dark

"Joan is a young teen living in Liverpool, England in 1941. The Germans seem to bomb sections of the city..."
One True Way

"In 1977, Allie and her mother move from New Jersey to the South. Grieving over the death of her brother..."
Hero on a Bicycle

"HERO ON A BICYCLE by Shirley Hughes is a middle grades novel set in 1944 in Florence, Italy and its..."
The Memory of Things

"When I first found out that THE MEMORY OF THINGS by Gae Polisner was set in the immediate days following..."
Code Name Verity

"The year is 1943. The setting locations are England, and Nazi-occupied France. The book is told in a..."
Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper #2)

"Words cannot express how much I loved this book. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't live up..."
Murder Among the Stars

"MURDER AMONG THE STARS by Laura L. Sullivan and Adam Shankman is the second in the Lulu Kelly Mystery Series...."
Sink or Swim: A Novel of World War II

"When Colton's brother Danny is injured by a U Boat while out fishing in the Outer Banks, Colton decides to..."