Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This Book Is Wearing Dignity. So Much More Beautiful Than Pearls.

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life is a brilliant story of youth at an end, adulthood on the horizon, the meaning of family, the many faces of love, and the difficulty of knowing how to hold on while at the same time letting go.

It’s a fitting theme for readers who loved Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. Some of us are having a hard time letting go of that one, and for good reason. But if we hold on to it too hard, looking only to the past, we’ll miss the captivating beauty of this next one. And that would be a tragedy.

“Sal used to know his place with his adoptive gay father, their loving Mexican-American family, and his best friend, Samantha. But it’s senior year, and suddenly Sal is throwing punches, questioning everything, and realizing he no longer knows himself.”

That’s about as much as the blurb has to say. Pretty short for a 464-page book. Is that really all there is to it? Of course not. But to reveal any details of complication or plot would be sure to spoil something. That said, it’s not a plot-driven book. It reads more like a cross between a journal and a memoir, written by a modern teen with an old soul.

If you like the sound of that, you’ll flat-out love this book.

Yes, the novel has diverse characters—rich, magnificent characters. No, it does not have romance. It has joy. It has anger. It has kindness. It has fear. It has painfully long moments of holding your breath, and it has the inevitable surrender of taking the next one.

Because eventually you have to. Because life goes on.

But what this book has most of all is grace. It is the grace that stays with you–and what you will hold on to–long after you have turned the last page.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique paintings...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San Francisco,...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another spellbinding...

0.0 (0)
The Temptation of Adam
Adam Hawthorne is fine. Yeah, his mother left, his...

0.0 (0)
Undiscovered Country
In the aftermath of her mother's death, Cat recklessly...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils...

0.0 (0)
The Emerald Circus
Where is Wendy? Leading a labor strike against the...

0.0 (0)
32718027.jpg
Step into The City of Brass, the spellbinding debut...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Olive and the Backstage Ghost

"OLIVE AND THE BACKSTAGE GHOST is a middle grade horror/ghost story that is full of suspense. Olive loves to sing,..."
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3)

"I didn't enjoy this series very much. The daemons (souls that look like animals) but it changed drastically in the..."
Poison's Kiss

""A teenage assassin kills with a single kiss.... Until she is ordered to kill the one boy she loves." ..."
Angels in the Dark

"List of all 7 stories: What Happened to Trevor Arriane's Day Out Daniel in L.A. Miles in the Dark..."

"June isn't happy that her mother has chosen to move out into the country, especially since she has arranged for..."
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

"Nine-year-old Bruno is growing up in Berlin during World War II. After Bruno’s father is promoted to a Commandant, he..."
Puppy Pirates #3: Catnapped!

"Okay, this is incredibly adorable and so creative! I didn’t think a book about dogs could get any more..."
The Chocolate War

"Jerry Renault, is a freshmen at Trinity, a Catholic high school for boys. He is a quiet and reserved student,..."
These Shallow Graves

"This is for those who are into Historical Fiction, centering on the 19th century. It's close to the time of..."
Alive

"The author and publisher of Alive requested that the bloggers chosen to review the book not reveal too much information..."
I Know What You Did Last Summer

"Four high school students, Julie, Helen, Barry and Ray are returning from a party when they accidentally hit a young..."
Alive

" "Don't base reality on what you have seen when you have seen very little." If you’re a..."
Deception's Pawn (Deception's Princess #2)

"In this sequel to Deception's Princess, Maeve, the favorite daughter of the evil High King is being fostered at Dun..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"The Inheritance Cycle certainly has a lot of pros and cons. But I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons...."
The Things They Carried

" "They carried all they could bear, and then some, including a silent awe for the terrible power of..."
Wonder

"Wonder quickly become of my favorite reads, not only of this year but of all times and it’s easy to..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"The story of Eragon is that of a so-named impoverished farm boy from an insignificant village somewhere in a vast,..."
The City of Ember (Book of Ember #1)

"When I first picked the book up, I thought, "oh no, did I really just buy this?" BUT... I opened..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"Eragon by Christopher Paolini is a magical book and absorbs you in this wonderful world of magic and dragons. ..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"I'm a sucker for dragons, I have to admit. The very idea of them is irresistible to me, so my..."