Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

hit me right in the sore spot of my life and I liked it

What I Loved:
In Case You Missed It is told in first-person, but when we read Sam's journal entries as an interlude between each chapter, readers get an even deeper look into her mind. She focuses a lot on her crush Jamie Moss and makes clear that she's a bit shallow and childish, but that's okay. Though my focus wasn't on boys, I was the same way at her age and have the diary entries to prove it. (You don't get to read them, though.) She's a realistic girl you might know in real life and she's also the reason you really should keep a paper diary.

Seriously, keep a paper diary instead of an online or even offline digital diary. Sure, your brother is more likely to get into your paper diary, but it's far less likely to end up on the Internet for all to read.

Coverage of the hack, the patriarchal culture her father both engages in and fosters within his banking corporation, and the casual racism Sam encounters thanks to her dad and her friend Margo's mom feel real and relevant without the bagging fear that this book will be dated within just a few years. The big names of news might change, but the style of coverage remains the same. I'm honestly surprised Sam encountered no anti-Semitism since her family is Jewish and her dad's a banker. The neo-Nazis would be on that before you could say anything!

But the true heart of the novel and its most powerful element is how Littman paints tensions within Sam's family. She and her mother have shouting matches regularly, she can hardly recognize her father post-leaks, and her little brother is an anxious mess. Seeing as my family situation is similarly volatile for very different reasons, In Case You Missed It cuts deeply a thousand different ways for me and regularly reduced me to tears. As the rift between Sam and her mother started to heal, it made me wish things were so easy in my own case.

But that's another story I can't currently tell. Regardless, In Case You Missed It is a novel that will deeply engage your emotions in ways other novels could only dream of and Sam's family is given depth that family members don't often get in YA novels.

What Left Me Wanting:
The novel does its best to confront both systemic sexism and racism, but the latter is handled weakly at best. Though Sam is furious her father agrees to pay a recently hired woman named Aisha Rana less than he'd pay a man in the same position, it never comes up that Aisha is likely a woman of color based on her name. Intersectionality is important, but no one acknowledges that as a woman of color, she's likely being paid even less than she would if she were a white woman or a man of color. In addition, quoting Winston Churchill regularly in a novel with racism as a minor conflict is not a smart idea given his imperialist policies caused a famine in Bengal that killed 3 million people.

One further way the novel fails readers of color: when Sam writes in her diary that Hispanic girl Rosa's ability to sleep despite smelling of vomit must be "a cultural thing," Rosa is rightly angry. The scene in which she forgives Sam left a lot to be desired. Sam has the knee-jerk "I'm not a racist" reaction and Rosa downgrades what she said to "a hurtful thing from a non-racist person," which lets Sam off the hook too easily. There would have been no harm in Sam acknowledging the passive racism of what she wrote and fighting to be better than that going forward.

Final Verdict:
In Case You Missed It is an Issue book and there's no shame in that. It's the Issue book done right with genuine characters aplenty and a human approach to handling what teens might be struggling with instead of a didactic, novel-length lesson of what not to do. Did you read a bunch of Jennifer Brown's backlist and love it? Did her books fail you one way or another? Sarah Darer Littman's entire backlist should be on your TBR pile.

Good Points
*realistic characters and coverage of the data hack
*is the reason you should keep a paper diary instead of a digital diary
*feels relevant in a way that doesn't date it
*excellent, very real tensions within Sam's family
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Mother Cary's Butter Knife (Shadows & Light)
The smallest of three brothers, Keenan Mowat had a priceless...

0.0 (0)
A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
Did you know that the earth is covered in three...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique paintings...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San Francisco,...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another spellbinding...

0.0 (0)
The Temptation of Adam
Adam Hawthorne is fine. Yeah, his mother left, his...

0.0 (0)
Undiscovered Country
In the aftermath of her mother's death, Cat recklessly...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Emerge: The Awakening (Book 1)

"I was hooked from the first page an unwilling to put this book down. Its an innovative and unique story..."

"Fifteen-year-old Allie isn't exactly a social butterfly, but then her parents move every few months and for some reason, people..."
Emerge: The Edge (Book 1.5)

"Once I read Emerge: The Awakening, I had to read more about these unique characters. There were so many questions..."

"I want to start off by saying that I usually don't like prequels. They are usually boring because they start..."

"Emerge: The Awakening is an impressive story by Melissa A. Craven and I can't wait to read the second book...."

"In Emerge: The Awakening, we meet Allie, a diminutive teenage girl with fiery red hair and a snarky attitude. She..."

"This story reminded me a lot of a superhero origins story... it has that same feel of an ordinary person..."

"By now, we know Allie pretty well. We know the events that led her to her awakening and how this..."

"Wow, what an entertaining read! Allie and Aidan have had very different upbringings but have always lived with a..."

"I absolutely love this book and cant wait to read more!"

"I had one quibble only. Though we were given many explanations for Lex making her choice of love-interest, I kept..."

"I couldn't put it down! Allie is an excellent strong female character, and I'm excited to see how she develops..."

"This is self published? No way. I wouldn't believe it if the author hadn't sent me a copy. It in..."

"Emerge – The Awakening by Melissa A. Craven is a novel that follows the life of Alexis Carmichael, a girl..."

N/A
"I'm not going to rate my own book because I'm biased and that wouldn't be fair to potential readers looking..."

"Emerge, The Awakening – is an inspiring story about a young girl who works very hard at the attempt of..."

"I totally judge a book by its cover so this one sucked me in right away. At a glance it..."

"I read a lot of indie books and I usually overlook the weaker parts and give the writer props for..."

AmyAmy
"I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is well written and holds your attention. I would definitely recommend it..."

"Emerge, The Awakening is a pleasant change in the young adult genre, not only is Allie Carmichael a strong female..."