Review Detail

Waking in Time Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Timely Time Travel

Abbi is off to college at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. It's hard to leave her mom, because her grandmother has just passed away from cancer, but she is looking forward to getting on with her life. Her roommate, Jada, seems really nice, and she meets a cute boy named Colton at a party, but when she wakes up one morning she has been transported to 1983! She meets another boy, Will, who claims they knew each other in the past, but she is barely there long enough to appreciate the poster of Michael Jackson and the high rise jeans when she is whisked back to 1961. There, she is hopefully able to stop the death of Professor Smith in a building explosion, but before she can find out, she ends up in the early 1950s-- and meets her grandmother. Before her grandmother passed away, she made Abbi promise to "find the baby". Armed with a hatbox of mementos that travels back with her as far as 1930, where she meets a very young professor Smith, Abbi is able to solve a family mystery, figure out key components of time travel, and meet her soul mate.

Good Points
My daughter just started college, I started college in 1983, and my mother was in college when Abbi's grandmother was, so this spoke to me on many levels! I love time travel books, the romance was good, the mystery had it's moments, and I loved Professor Smith. The UW Madison setting made me want to go to college there. If there were a movie of this, I would watch it once a year. It could be gorgeous.

I rarely buy copies of books, but I have to get this one for my daughters for Christmas. Then, I can always read it again. Adored it personally, and it would be okay for middle school readers who like time travel books. There are a couple passing references to sex, but nothing instructional.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Everything All at Once
Lottie Reeves has always struggled with anxiety, and when her...

0.0 (0)
Lucky in Love
Maddie doesn't believe in luck. She's all about hard work...

0.0 (0)
She's So Boss
Whether you already have an idea for a business or...

0.0 (0)
Wesley James Ruined My Life
Sixteen-year-old Quinn Hardwick’s having a rough summer. Her beloved grandmother...

0.0 (0)
Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
Once upon a time, a girl skipped into the forest...

0.0 (0)
Obsidian and Stars
In the sequel to Ivory and Bone—the prehistoric fantasy...

0.0 (0)
Maybe In Paris
Keira Braidwood lands in Paris with her autistic brother,...

0.0 (0)
Revolt: Book Four of the Resistance Series
The Explosive Conclusion to the Award-Winning Resistance Series To...

0.0 (0)
16 Ways to Break A Heart
Unfolding through letters, texts, and chats, Lauren Strasnick’s smart,...

0.0 (0)
Changes in Latitudes
A "road" trip romance that takes place at sea!...

0.0 (0)
First We Were IV
A group of friends start a secret society in...

0.0 (0)
Orphan is the highly anticipated sequel in the ORB trilogy....

0.0 (0)
The World Between the Trees
Jake Hunter has disappeared without a trace and when his...

0.0 (0)
Jupiter Storm
Only a week ago Grey Alexander thought she and her...

0.0 (0)
Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone
After being picked on at school yet again, Alison Henry...

0.0 (0)
Unbecoming
Three women. Three generations. Three secrets. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Kronnus 13

"The story: Zak Connors is a twelve-year-old boy who is not long for this world. A terrible virus has..."
Raise the Curtain

"Alexa loves theater, but her dad thinks it's a waste of time and wants her to focus on more important..."
Flicker

"'Flicker' by Melanie Hooyenga is a very gripping novel. The concept behind it - that the main character, Biz, has..."
Sarah

" I haven't read any horror novels but have a few on my TBR, so I thought this one would..."
Em & Em

" What I Loved 'Em & Em' was a sweet contemporary romance with a twist. There are back and forth..."
We Thought We Were Invincible

"I thoroughly enjoyed this contemporary offering from Lynn, as it is my favorite genre to read. In many ways, I..."
Curse of the Sphinx

"Curse of the Sphinx is a somewhat fast-paced story with one of my favorite types of mythology, starring the wonderful..."
Angels of Moirai, Book One (Angels of Moirai #1)

"Welcome to the new Twilight. *Sigh* Angels of Moirai had me at its summary since I'm one to fall..."
If We Were a Movie

"‘If We Were a Movie’ tells the story of ‘Nat’. ‘Nat’ is a triplet and struggles to have individuality from..."

"'Laerka' is a modern-day retelling of the fairytale 'The Little Mermaid'. Stella is a teenager in modern-day Savannah, Georgia...."
Waters of Salt and Sin

"The story: Kinneret Raza is a tough, adventurous, headstrong young woman with the misfortune of being on the lower rung..."
Magic Bound

"Love it!"
Like a Dream

"Amelia is a strong protagonist with great wit and charm. She does the best she can with what life has..."
The Eternity Road

"THE ETERNITY ROAD is full of action, secrets, vampires, love, and vampire hunters. THE ETERNITY ROAD follows Amanda who's..."
Stray

"We’ve all had that day. You know, that day you’re abandoned in a small town, you meet a boy then..."
Fallen to Grace

""A.J. Flowers gives a version of angels and demons that I haven't seen before" - TheStoryCollectorBlog.com "A fresh..."
Spies Like Me

"The story: Despite living a life of privilege, sixteen-year-old Emma Rothchild has known her share of tragedy. She lost..."
Royal Institute of Magic

"This book focusses on Ben Greenwood and his search for answers about his parents' disappearance. Two years ago Ben came..."
Blues Harp Green

"'Blues Harp Green' by Nicole Schubert has an interesting premise. The main character, Francie, meets Chet, a cute and friendly..."
The Unforgettables

"'The Unforgettables' by G.L. Tomas follows new next-door neighbors, and seeming soulmates, Paul and Felicia. Their instant connection at a..."